Sign in to follow this  
Dadler93

[Variant] Reworked Treasure Hunter

My friends and I wanted to make some changes to the Treasure Hunter class.

I've been scouting (really bad pun intended) the forums and found some good ideas.

Here’s what I’ve done:

The original Delver (0 exp) is crazy good. So Trail of Riches (3 exp) has now gained the old effect of Delver which lets you draw 2 cards instead of 1 and either place them at the top or bottom of the deck.

The new Delver card has instead gained the old Survey effect which lets you look at the top 3 cards on the search deck.

The original Lure of Fortune (2 exp) is now a 1 exp card since I think you should be able to dig through the Search Deck easier without too much investment and still feel like a Treasure Hunter even after Delver has been nerfed.

Since Lure of Fortune’s exp cost was changed to 1, Survey is now a 2 exp card that has been changed quite a bit and inspired by Rugal’s version of it.

Even though the nerfs, I don’t want this class to lose its flavour or become F tier.  Maybe changing Lure of Fortune to a 1 exp cost makes it outshine Dungeoneer and Gold Rush resulting in the player feeling obligated to pick it right away?

Here is a link to the card images

What do you guys think about this version?

I'd appreciate some merciless criticism before I print them :).

Thanks!

Edited by Dadler93

Hey Dadler93,

Thanks for the contribution. This feels a lot more balanced than the original Treasure Hunter, that's for sure. You've probably already seen my own re-working of the Treasure Hunter's abilities in my balance patch document. We definitely thought along the same lines in some areas.

I like the idea of moving some of the effects around. Delver is crazy powerful as a starting skill, so making the secondary effect of Delver instead be the original Survey effect and moving the Delver effect to Trail of Riches is interesting! This would make Trail of Riches slightly more desirable, as its pretty bad compared to Finder's Keepers.

One of my biggest beefs with Trail of Riches is that it has anti-synergy with Dungeoneer, which is a very popular choice.

I am considering playing around with the idea that Delver *only* gives the damage bonus, and making Trail of Riches instead possess both the original Survey effect and the Delver secondary effect, as well as a Health bonus, instead of being just a boring clone of the Thief's Lurk skill.

Lure of Fortune needs help, because its pretty bad, so making it not only function on dedicated search actions  is an improvement. I feel like the deck manipulation is too similar to other effects. I like the idea of having Lure of Fortune heal the Treasure Hunter both when getting a search card, as well as when flipping over a search card - really emphasizes the 'greediness' aspect of the kit, and makes the Treasure Hunter more self-sufficient when running off on their own.

The nerf to Sleight of Hand is well deserved because it was way too powerful as it was. I am enjoying the change of just reducing the damage boost from Pierce 2 to +1 Heart. The proposed 'exhaust to use after rolling' would work too. Either would be better than what we have.

Nice work!

Edited by Charmy

13 hours ago, Charmy said:

Hey Dadler93,

Thanks for the contribution. This feels a lot more balanced than the original Treasure Hunter, that's for sure. You've probably already seen my own re-working of the Treasure Hunter's abilities in my balance patch document. We definitely thought along the same lines in some areas.

Yes! I have read through all of it and gotten a lot of inspiration from your work and the comments! I've printed a lot of those cards!

One of my biggest beefs with Trail of Riches is that it has anti-synergy with Dungeoneer, which is a very popular choice.

You're right. Maybe changing Dungeoneer to something along these lines would make Trail of Riches more attractive.
I have a question about the wording on Gold Rush. Would you say that you could exhaust that card after using Trail of Riches? Is the answer no, since you didn't perform a search action even though you searched the token?

I am considering playing around with the idea that Delver *only* gives the damage bonus, and making Trail of Riches instead possess both the original Survey effect and the Delver secondary effect, as well as a Health bonus, instead of being just a boring clone of the Thief's Lurk skill.

That's an interesting idea. The thing I worry about though is that the Treasure Hunter looses a bit of its flavour until you get that 3 exp card. But, the only way to know is to try it out and see how it feels!
I agree that Lurk and Trail of Riches are way too similar. and quite booring for being 3 exp cards. This is the Lurk card that I'm using right now, again, idea stolen from Rugal in this case! (no shame!)

Lure of Fortune needs help, because its pretty bad, so making it not only function on dedicated search actions  is an improvement. I feel like the deck manipulation is too similar to other effects. I like the idea of having Lure of Fortune heal the Treasure Hunter both when getting a search card, as well as when flipping over a search card - really emphasizes the 'greediness' aspect of the kit, and makes the Treasure Hunter more self-sufficient when running off on their own.

Yeah I agree! I thought alot about using this version. I guess I have to play around with it and see. But since I changed its exp cost to (1), I'll hold off for now.

Nice work!

Thanks! I want to thank you for coming with such great ideas and feedback!
You've contributed a lot to my interest in custom content for my gaming group and to the community as a whole!
We got a bit bummed out when we realized that the Lost Legends cards felt in many cases very rushed and OP. Your patched really helped us out!