Sign in to follow this  
Nomad

Secrets of Arkham ***Spoiler Alert***

PearlJamaholic said:

The_Big_Show said:

I'd have liked a few more new cards included in the set, but that's just me.

ditto. they should have atleast split it 50/50 with new to the reprints. good card selection. but nothing really 'secret' here since most of these are well known.....

That would have made more sense to me.

Below is the new total for changed cards.

Norman Blackwood, Jr. became Government. Welcome to the family business, son.

The finally-uniform three Day/Night cards inform going forward what FFG intended for Day/Night text. Each one is remarkably altered and re-subtyped and more from it's predecessor. I guess, better late then never. I feel that the Day/Night mechanic was maybe already ruined from the sloppy differences. Messenger From Hali is just way cooler with the Night subtype, though.

The Greatest Fear... (Nomad's call) added Disaster. Madness. subtypes. From the excellent, very first AP, Spawn of Madness, some cards lacked in the embellished text department. None had subtitles. None of the events had subtypes, and all looked like they needed it, more so now. Good Addition.

Wizard of Yog-Sothoth went from Toughness +2 to +1. (Dadajef's call.) Wonder if that's a typo. Never before(?) has a LCG reprint been less strong than the original. On the contrary, Core: Loyal was dropped for those Ancient Ones. Extra icons popped up everywhere. Torch the Joint got cheaper...Exceptions?

The illustrations did not alter like they did so widely for core, like core's different illustrations for Shub and Triggerman. But there one for sure worth noting - Primal Fear. Many have loved her beautiful dress. So they zoomed her way in. Nice. Also, Seeker of Mysteries was too dark before and is fixed. Infected by Madness, Writhing Wall, even Dimensional Rift are slightly zoomed in. Possibly other cards too. I like this LCG trend. It shows attention to detail and intent. I'd have welcomed even more such changes.

Calling down the Ancients became Calling Down the Ancients, a worthy title fix for a worthy card.

Every reprinted card thus far with Action: Response: Forced Response: Disrupt: continues to be changed to capitalize the next word. Good consistency and grammar there.

Nomad mentions the change to Deep One Rising. I'll add Azathoth. Are these significant changes dropping, "from your hand" ?

Deep One Rising Game Text:
-was-
Forced Response: after Deep One Rising enters play from your hand, choose and destroy a non-Deep One non-Ancient One character, if able.
-now-
Forced Response: After you play Deep One Rising, choose and destroy a non-Deep One, non-Ancient One character, if able.

•Azathoth, The Blind Idiot God
-was-
Game Text : Response: after Azathoth enters play from your hand, each player must sacrifice all characters not named Azathoth and all support cards he controls. At the end of the turn, you are eliminated from the game.
-now-
dropped "from your hand"

Chant of Thoth Game Text now fits errata, adding: ...If any of the chosen cards are event cards, put them on the bottom of your deck instead of your discard pile after playing them.

Lastly, I don't believe any flavor text or subtitles were added or altered. An amazing six of ten new cards were spoiled.

That's what I found so far. Thanks for reading.

I think Deep One Rising received that change to make it combo smoother with Hydra.

Edit: actually maybe not, could just be a wording change. Wouldn't it just say, "enters play" if it wasn't discriminating, based on more recent wording?

Finally picked up my SoA today, biggest letdown was the different card back for the new Story cards, would've liked the same back, that way could've mixed all 20 in and randomly drawn 10 (even if that's not the intention). Could still do that, but would need sleeves that hide the backside images (I stick with penny sleeves for cost reasons).

I like the new cthonian story backs. Sleeves do cost money. But change is good. As soon as you mix and match in this game, sleeves become more and more necessary.

There are a couple spoiled images still out there, like the back of the new AP.

The Current Spoils

Erin Moirai, Broken Glasses, Specimen Room, New Cthulhu (below on cover of AP2 Murmers of Evil), New Tentacle Hastur, Man in the Yellow Hat provoking Mad Snake Lizard on back of AP1, weird Dimensional Shambler, below on cover of AP4 The Wailer Below. In that set, "Sam Archer: Private Investigator, the Degenerate Serpent Cultist, and the vile Feasting Ghouls."

AP3-Whispers-Cthulhu.jpg           The-Wailer-Below-Whispers-AP4.jpg