edhc

Ed's Armada Robot Player (solitaire and co-op)

Hi,

Here's a shout out to the community to share a set of guidelines and cards that I developed to let you play Armada solitaire or co-op.
It's far from perfect but it does let you play without having to make all the decisions.

I've posted the files on board game geek :

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/188857/eds-armada-robot-player-v10

I hope that this will help some solitary or solitaire armada gamers !

Hey, i just downloaded the instructions and watched the YouTube video you made with the Cymoon and 2 Arquitens, the AI looks great and plays very smoothly, great work!

Thanks for the feedback 😊, much appreciated. 
I’m currently playing a solo campaign of Rebellion in the Rim, which so far has been doable as there is a lot less hidden information compared to the Corellian Conflict. I’ll update the robot in a little while once I’ve had enough test games.

For years I've wished that there was an official digital version of Armada that I could play on my computer or tablet. It's a real shame that FFG never developed a digital game. Now that's never going to happen because I believe it was reported the whole digital department was fired by Asmodee.

An Armada digital game would be perfect right now, especially if it was multiplayer-enabled.

However, this Armada Robot Player is a viable alternative since most of us are stuck at home and therefore have access to our Armada miniatures and cards.

I look forward to trying it out. Thanks @edhc

I hope you have fun with the Robot.

If you're looking for something digital, I understand that the Vassal module for Armada is really good. I've never played it myself, but here's the link

On 3/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, Reavern said:

it was reported the whole digital department was fired by Asmodee.

in part because Asmodee has their own digital game development team and was reducing redundancies in their company.

4 hours ago, Formynder4 said:

in part because Asmodee has their own digital game development team and was reducing redundancies in their company.

I checked Asmodee Digital's game library and I can't find a digital version of a FFG board game. Perhaps that will change in the future.

I don't really care who develops an official Armada digital game; I just want to be able to play Armada on the go.

And if we had a digital Armada game, we could be playing Armada now while we're in self-isolation.

I wonder if the possibility of a 2nd wave of COVID-19 in the Fall/Winter, resulting in another self-quarantine period, could incentivize Asmodee (and other board game developers) to prioritize digital game development, since they wouldn't be negatively impacted by physical distancing precautions or non-essential store closures.

Posted (edited)

Hi, After some playtesting I've uploaded an updated V1.2 of the Robot which now includes:

• Onager and Starhawk ships added to ship listings
  • Salvo  token spending, targeting
  • Set Up now includes the Rebellion in the Rim obstacles
  • 12 Rebellion in the Rim objectives 
  • Romodi and Agate Admirals
  • Standard Set Up and Defense Tokens cards updated with new guidelines

Here's the link to the BGG file page https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/188857/eds-armada-robot-player-v10-and-v-12

It was already a big document and it just got bigger...in the next couple of days I'll  upload a document that only contains the V1.2 updates to be more printer friendly for those of you who have only recently printed the previous version.

Stay safe!

Edited by edhc

I always understood that FFG didn't have a license for Star Wars computer games - which would be necessary to make an online version of Armada (or X-Wing, or Legion)

Hi, I've added the document that ONLY contains the V1.2 updates to be more printer friendly for those of you who have only recently printed the previous V1.0 version.

Same link as the full versions on BBG https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/188857/eds-armada-robot-player-v10-and-v-12

When I find the time, the next update will probably be on guidelines on playing a Rebellion in the Rim campaign solo.

If you have any feedback please leave a reply.

PS : In the V1.2 acknowlegments I fogot to include a link to ION Radio's youtube channel, so before I republish a new version, here's the link :  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaZM_GoUteTLrqyYzcoA8UQ

Thanks for this really nice to have something like this especially in current situation. I haven’t tried it yet but I’ve watch the video from your BGG thread and going to try this weekend!

Thanks again for your work much appreciated!

Hi,

I've (finally!) updated the BGG file page for the Robot with the expansion to play the Rebellion in the Rim campaign solo. Here's the link : https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/188857/eds-armada-robot-player-v10

The expansion covers many aspects of the Strategy, Battle and Management Phases, but does not provide guidelines for creating and expanding the Task Force fleets and Commanders (way too many variables). You'll need the standard Robot guidelines for fighting the battles (available on the same BGG page) and obviously enough ships and squadrons to build the 4 or 6 Task Forces.