BiggsIRL

2020 VWC Game Reporting Thread

On 1/28/2020 at 4:19 PM, Tokra said:

POD A
Tokra won against @RealVeers
Tokra destroyed 172 points and RealVeers could gather 136 points.
Realveers was first and we were playing my Targeting Beacon.

This was a real close game. Realveers exposed his Onager to my squadrons, and I could not resist to go into the side of the big ship. Two turns and it was over. But after this my squadrons were all engaged by his remaining squadrons (i had to take out a few to get to the Onager). 
Some really extreme dice rolls were his 10 out of 10 damage with blue (Tel, Sontir and Dengar were really on crack), and Vader oneshot on Mauler (2 acc and 3 damage). 
In the end, i lost a Gozanti and all squadrons but Moralo (i guess this is really strange…). And i could take down the Onager and all but Sontir and Dengar. 

I have as well the log for it, if someone want to see it. 

I expected a very casual watching after downloading your log ... it turned out into a tedious work at refreshing my German!

36 minutes ago, Fanfan said:

I expected a very casual watching after downloading your log ... it turned out into a tedious work at refreshing my German!

I always said, games are good for education 😁

Pod G

jp82729 defeated  @OutboundFlight 206-53 (MoV 153, 8-3)

jp82729 chose first and we played Outbound's rift ambush.

I set up in a corner and played cagey the first few turns. Outbounds's ISDs set up in the middle and came in fast, using the rift for a boost. He was able to get some great positioning on my Onager with Jerry and TEA! and avoid the superweapon.

With my big guns not in great position, I decided to bail and pick off the gozantis. However, Outbound's Kuat was able to come around and threaten my ISD. The Kuat ended jumping over and landing in front of my ISD to prevent it's escape, but Motti was able to barely finish it off and sneak away before Jerry could come in to help.

Great game against a great opponent! 

29 minutes ago, jp82729 said:

Pod G

jp82729 defeated  @OutboundFlight 206-53 (MoV 153, 8-3)

jp82729 chose first and we played Outbound's rift ambush.

I set up in a corner and played cagey the first few turns. Outbounds's ISDs set up in the middle and came in fast, using the rift for a boost. He was able to get some great positioning on my Onager with Jerry and TEA! and avoid the superweapon.

With my big guns not in great position, I decided to bail and pick off the gozantis. However, Outbound's Kuat was able to come around and threaten my ISD. The Kuat ended jumping over and landing in front of my ISD to prevent it's escape, but Motti was able to barely finish it off and sneak away before Jerry could come in to help.

Great game against a great opponent! 

Very fun game. Being forced to play aggressively made me make some super risky choices, but overall a fun match against a good opponent. Thanks for the game JP, and thanks to steel strategy for putting on the VWC again!

Jabba vs @Admiral Theia ends in a 6-5 for Theia, MoV 381-400.

Theia chose first and my Fighter Ambush; TIE Bombers began plinking away at the Starhawk round 1.  Raddus drops round 2, Shriv chops off Gunnery Team, SSD turns hard to avoid a nasty-looking kill zone.  The Starhawk goes down to bombers round 4, MC75 pursues the SSD.  Top of round 5, it rolls the pair of 5 damage + acc shots it needs for the kill.

Thank you Theia for a fun, exciting game.  Good luck in the next bracket!

As an aside: I can say even as an out-activated second player the magnites didn’t feel oppressive and added something new and interesting to the fight. 

Edited by The Jabbawookie

12 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

As an aside: I can say even as an out-activated second player the magnites didn’t feel oppressive and added something new and interesting to the fight. 

My activation order was forced due to the SH being so heavily damaged by bombers, or at one point I'd have waited for you to activate, slowed you to 0, then hit you with the MC75, then activated one of the big ships first while you were still at 0.  Instead I had to activate the SH before you went, and couldn't do it.

It was a great game.  The SH's beefiness made up for my shite last-minute list-building, and all of my games were terribly engaging.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:50 AM, BiggsIRL said:

Recorded RealVeers over L3ct3r 9-2 / 247 MOV

Recorded Aresius over B2W, 7-4 / 102 MOV

Not that much to add but please find a logfile here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qS6ZA_XprNVGqmxPgKqmHPdM3qo3xCAD

Great game with a good opponent! He brought his squads much better into the game than I am, which has led to the result. While I like the  Starhawk and have some ideas for furhter builds, these mirror matches were a bit boring... I really look forward to the next round (even as viewer only) and to see how Starhawks fight other ships...

Thanks @Aresius and good luck to all of you!

@Aresius 245 bt Realadmiralsdoitinspace 30 in Pod Starhawk C (MOV 215 for an 8-2)

And the pod chock full of unreleased big ships ends without a single Starhawk being destroyed (though fans of big capital-ship explosions don't be too disheartened - my Liberty failed to make it past round 4 in every game!)

In a match notable for its brevity - speedy play all-round - my catastrophic failure to notice a Turn 4 bail command at the top of the game meant my entire strategy of sacrificing a Lib for a close-range barrage in the face of a speed 0 starhawk (with my own starhawk poised in the flank) sort of didn't come off - spectacularly.

Kudos to a clearly superior (and jolly nice) player... and thanks for Biggs for allowing us the delay. 

Edited by Realadmiralsdoitinspace
Missed @

@Admiral Theia vs RealVeers Top16 Elimination Match

RealVeers won the roll off and chose first. We played Fleet ambush.

RealVeers won, scoring 196 points ( MC75, Hammerhead and GR75) to Theia's 116 points for a MoV of 83 points (close call @Astrodar). 

Logfiles part 1 and part 2 (Vassal crashed briefly, if you have a full log please upload.)

Thanks a lot for playing so late, Michelle, I know how hard it is to schedule games between US and EU, and I hope it didn't influence your game too much. 

I think the crucial part in this game was you taking my demo bait, which forced your drop in a spot where your MC75 was out of the game for too long. If the Hammerhead would have survived I think Demo was a goner, getting a raid, and Exracks shot and a hard way to get out between your two large Bases. I knew, with your setup, the Starhawk propbably was to dangerous to attack, but without Agate maybe it could have worked. Double Salvo vs Corvus and Demo is nothing to ignore, so it would have been a close call, while your other ships blast away my fleet. 

I hope we meet again under better circumstances for you. I really like the list concept of SH Raddus with a MC75 Profundity coming in.

18 hours ago, RealVeers said:

@Admiral Theia vs RealVeers Top16 Elimination Match

RealVeers won the roll off and chose first. We played Fleet ambush.

RealVeers won, scoring 196 points ( MC75, Hammerhead and GR75) to Theia's 116 points for a MoV of 83 points (close call @Astrodar). 

Logfiles part 1 and part 2 (Vassal crashed briefly, if you have a full log please upload.)

Thanks a lot for playing so late, Michelle, I know how hard it is to schedule games between US and EU, and I hope it didn't influence your game too much. 

I think the crucial part in this game was you taking my demo bait, which forced your drop in a spot where your MC75 was out of the game for too long. If the Hammerhead would have survived I think Demo was a goner, getting a raid, and Exracks shot and a hard way to get out between your two large Bases. I knew, with your setup, the Starhawk propbably was to dangerous to attack, but without Agate maybe it could have worked. Double Salvo vs Corvus and Demo is nothing to ignore, so it would have been a close call, while your other ships blast away my fleet. 

I hope we meet again under better circumstances for you. I really like the list concept of SH Raddus with a MC75 Profundity coming in.

It was a great match, but you outplayed me.  I’m not dismayed though because I came in first place at our prime today (out of 26), beating out Schmitty by about 100 MoV, so playing late didn’t seem to hurt me too much.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:07 PM, BiggsIRL said:

Now that we have our Elimination Games set, I've uploaded the prizes for those that made it out of their PODs into Elimination...

http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/armada-2020-world-cup-homepage.html

I have been told the cards both for participation and Top 16 are ordered.

repeating myself, I know, just fantastic prices, and well done to qualified players. what interesting games we have ahead of us!

Tokra defeats LTD in round 6 with a Darth Vader tabling of the last Corvette.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LlmE8Ibv_Qmk0UbC14qbuO1XlNeTJ50z

At least I survived to round 6! 

Moralo OP, etc. @FFG please nerf, etc.

Well played to Tokra - an almost flawless performance. A few dice here and there and things might have been different? I think I activated Ackbar at the wrong time, and his almost destruction too early cost me a lot. And my squadron deployment and usage was poor at best.

Best of luck for the rest of the tourney.

Thanks to @The Jabbawookie for running OpFor in our practice games.

Thanks to @BiggsIRL for organising - sorry to let you down...

Edited by LTD