BiggsIRL

2020 VWC Game Reporting Thread

7 hours ago, Cael said:

@The Jabbawookie and I played my Dangerous Territory. It was a brutal slugest. I parked my VSD in front of his SSD, alongside my other ships, and we basically stood still and punched each other in the face for four rounds. In round 4 he killed my Interdictor and Star Destroyer, but my VSD managed to finish off his SSD. But then his bombers took out my VSD resulting in a 6-5, 0 MOV* mutual destruction victory for me.

*At the end of the game Jabbawookie had one victory token and I had two, not sure if that matters for scoring with mutual destruction?

It doesn't, per tournament rules:

• Mutual Destruction: At the end of a game round, all of both players’ ships that are not flotillas are destroyed. The second player is the winner, but his or her Margin of Victory is 0.

Ewok vs. Karneck

Ewok had bid and chose to go second, we played my Intel Sweep

Ewok wins, Table plus Intel Sweep (475) to 20 (lost Comms Net GR-75)

Onager again is an interesting ship that requires new play styles, Bail Organna showed up big for me on the end of 3 and top of 4, double tapping the Onager from medium and close range in its side.  without ECM a pair of clutch Acc rolls locked the brace and poured on the damage.  The rogues were able to sweep up the Onager and help the CR-90s chip down Avenger on turn 5. 

13 hours ago, Angry Ewok said:

Ewok vs. Karneck

Ewok had bid and chose to go second, we played my Intel Sweep

Ewok wins, Table plus Intel Sweep (475) to 20 (lost Comms Net GR-75)

Onager again is an interesting ship that requires new play styles, Bail Organna showed up big for me on the end of 3 and top of 4, double tapping the Onager from medium and close range in its side.  without ECM a pair of clutch Acc rolls locked the brace and poured on the damage.  The rogues were able to sweep up the Onager and help the CR-90s chip down Avenger on turn 5. 

I went and looked up terms and definitions, also spoke to Ian and Dras. 

My apologies. I had completely forgotten / missed that when measuring range for what is "beyond long range" in the manner for whats needed for the ignition attack.

The range,from ship to ship still needs to reach the ships "token" (its cardboard) in this manner for your ship to be considered at long. If the ruler isn't touching cardboard to cardboard it is beyond long range in the case of ignition. 

Again, simply being "at" long range with plastic is not considered "at" long range in the case of the attack, and thus it is "beyond long range".

This largely stems from my viewing of how other interactions work, for example, boarding troopers able to be used at "close" range, plastic to plastic but it is not an attack, thus why it doesn't need cardboard to cardboard.

That said, per the ignition rules in Onager, it states the following when ranging from the ignition token.

"Attack dice are gathered from the attacker's special battery armament based on the range measured from the attacker's targeting token 
to any part of the defender’s ship token (even another hull zone), instead of the attack range."

Still needs to be hitting carboard, but it can be cardboard anywhere on the ship.

Edited by Karneck

Truthiness defeats @BrobaFett
400-126
Brobafett was First Player and selected Asteroid Tactics

This game was...weird. Lots of very strange dice rolls that changed the game significantly. In the end, I managed to slow down Broba's squads just enough to avoid ship losses until the last turn. Mon Karren was coming back around to finish off the ISD, but it didn't quite have enough yaw to stay on the table anyway.

4 hours ago, Truthiness said:

Truthiness defeats @BrobaFett
400-126
Brobafett was First Player and selected Asteroid Tactics

This game was...weird. Lots of very strange dice rolls that changed the game significantly. In the end, I managed to slow down Broba's squads just enough to avoid ship losses until the last turn. Mon Karren was coming back around to finish off the ISD, but it didn't quite have enough yaw to stay on the table anyway.

I watched the start until the MonKarren blue dice reroll to 4 accuracies. I was very surprised that @BrobaFett jumped the ISD into the middle of three of your ships. As well as that the Pryce squadron command wasn't used to annihilate the right hand CR90. Shara could have been Dengar'd, allowing the Quasar to hide behind the ISD. Broba, I would be interested what your plan was.

Edited by RapidReload

POD A
Tokra won against @RealVeers
Tokra destroyed 172 points and RealVeers could gather 136 points.
Realveers was first and we were playing my Targeting Beacon.

This was a real close game. Realveers exposed his Onager to my squadrons, and I could not resist to go into the side of the big ship. Two turns and it was over. But after this my squadrons were all engaged by his remaining squadrons (i had to take out a few to get to the Onager). 
Some really extreme dice rolls were his 10 out of 10 damage with blue (Tel, Sontir and Dengar were really on crack), and Vader oneshot on Mauler (2 acc and 3 damage). 
In the end, i lost a Gozanti and all squadrons but Moralo (i guess this is really strange…). And i could take down the Onager and all but Sontir and Dengar. 

I have as well the log for it, if someone want to see it. 

2 minutes ago, Tokra said:

POD A
Tokra won against @RealVeers
Tokra destroyed 172 points and RealVeers could gather 136 points.
Realveers was first and we were playing my Targeting Beacon.

This was a real close game. Realveers exposed his Onager to my squadrons, and I could not resist to go into the side of the big ship. Two turns and it was over. But after this my squadrons were all engaged by his remaining squadrons (i had to take out a few to get to the Onager). 
Some really extreme dice rolls were his 10 out of 10 damage with blue (Tel, Sontir and Dengar were really on crack), and Vader oneshot on Mauler (2 acc and 3 damage). 
In the end, i lost a Gozanti and all squadrons but Moralo (i guess this is really strange…). And i could take down the Onager and all but Sontir and Dengar. 

I have as well the log for it, if someone want to see it. 

Me, me, me!

I listen to Rage against the Machine to counter the Moralo PTSD.

Close game (as usual, last 3 games against Tokra were 6-5 for him) were I had no clue how to tackle Moralo. I was lucky that my big activation was 10 damage on 2 shuttles, so his shenanigans were crippled. Onager is really weak to squads, especially in competent hands. 

Maybe, someday, FFG will listen and somehow limit Moralo. Because that iteration of Tokra is nasty. @geek19 caress my wounds please thx.

13 minutes ago, RealVeers said:

I listen to Rage against the Machine to counter the Moralo PTSD.

Close game (as usual, last 3 games against Tokra were 6-5 for him) were I had no clue how to tackle Moralo. I was lucky that my big activation was 10 damage on 2 shuttles, so his shenanigans were crippled. Onager is really weak to squads, especially in competent hands. 

Maybe, someday, FFG will listen and somehow limit Moralo. Because that iteration of Tokra is nasty. @geek19 caress my wounds please thx.

Only thing to beat moralo jank is an even JANKIER list.

Sato Kanan shenanigans go!

6 hours ago, RapidReload said:

I watched the start until the MonKarren blue dice reroll to 4 accuracies. I was very surprised that @BrobaFett jumped the ISD into the middle of three of your ships. As well as that the Pryce squadron command wasn't used to annihilate the right hand CR90. Shara could have been Dengar'd, allowing the Quasar to hide behind the ISD. Broba, I would be interested what your plan was.

He might not have wanted to get hit by Lando that turn, who would have been in pouncing range of any attack on the 90. I suspect he also thought he might strip some if the Lib's tokens off and kill it with the ISD. There were a lot of little things like that which could have swing things differently. He killed that 90 in any case. I don't think it ever got off a shot.

11 hours ago, RapidReload said:

Other than going off the board, game went exactly as planned. You can't run from speed 4 ships, the plan was always to joust past and slip away. I needed to wipe the squads immediately as Truths choices were all absolute kneecaps to my list. Lando wrecks scatter aces with his ability, Dutch can shut them off where they eat a worm, and wedge can one shot them with a good roll. I knew I needed to kill the squads quickly, and honestly I would have in hindsight been better off just finishing that task and not trying to split and gamble on luck that I strip a def token from the lib early on.

The critical error boiled down to using one too few yaw on my gap close maneuver because I was hesitant to take a damage from the worm. If I had overlapped the worm I would have had exactly the space needed to skirt right along the edge.

Other than keeping my ISD on the board, changing that one click doesn't alter any other scenario, so while I wish we had been able to play out the valiant charge of the lib to see if truth could give me the honest tabling that he certainly had an opening to deliver me, or if the 2 rounds I'd have to shoot him with maarek, Jendon, dengar, and ciena would be enough to take the last 7 hull off the single brace no other def token lib, it wasnt in the cards.

When you play a great player you have to be on your A game. I'm sure truth has a decision or 2 he'd like to have back just as I'd like to pick up the game at that turn 2 nav. That doesn't take anything from truth closing off every avenue he could to force me down a path that led off the board. It's a game truth knows how to play, and he did it well.

RealVeers defeats @RapidReload
RealVeers scores 400 (table on turn 6) vs RapidReloads 108 ( Corvus, Tie Defenders, Mauler + 2 Tokens) for a MoV of 282 (9-2)
Real Veers was first player (roll off) and we played Fighter Ambush

This was a close game that was decided by one lucky roll on my part (10 damage and ACC on 7 dice). I knew I can overload the Hawk, but his Rouge and Bombers gave me some headace. Rapid deployed them close to the Onager. I covered one flank with my fighters, the other with Corvus. R1 the bombing on Corvus began but I had most of his fighters in arc of Corvus. Flak and a fighter attack reduced his generic YTs, and more importantly, engaged his ball. I won the squad fight because I had my ship support with flak. He got Corvus with a good roll from the SH, but the SH took too much damage, starting from T2, and T3-6 were close range ingiton attacks with the Onager. Paired with the Demolisher (who limped away on 2 hull, Salvo is nasty), I could overload his tokens and and force the discard of all braces (2 + 1 from Walex) on T4. Then it was clean up, and on T6 I could finish the SH with my Onager.

Rapid, in my opionion,  made a mistake on deployment exposing his fighters, which allowed me to create a flak bubble and when the Starhawk arrived, it was too late. If you stayed back, you could have forced me into your support and you would have won the Squad fight and then bomb me down, winning on the objective.

A link to the vassal file.

Edited by RealVeers

I DEMAND TO KNOW whether Tokra will be A1 or A2!

@RealVeers This is IMPORTANT.

Because I need to decide if I should aim to be H1 or H2 and thus avoid the inevitable Moralo shenanigans...

@Admiral Theia and I are playing tomorrow my time to chance it for Pod H. Of course, @The Jabbawookie could beat Theia, and then my plans to come H2 would mean I come H3... {edit: nope, can’t count. Never mind this bit}

Or perhaps I should aim to engage Tokra's Moralo with my many Rogues... or is that playing into his hands?

Edited by LTD

Pod H

LTD vs @Admiral Theia

Logfile: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ftbVhnHIULOXUvOhEQwkuUDzrkRsOppg

Equal bid, so we rolled for initiative with hilarious results. On the third roll, LTD won and chose second. Theia chose my Minefields.

I deployed the obstacles to present the best fields of fire possible, and then proceeded to hide behind my minefield. 

Theia dropped Profundity at the start of 3, and Garel's Honor popped out - nearly killing Ackbar's CR90 (My kingdom for Lando!). But Ackbar survived, and a combination of Ackbar broadsiding CRs and angry (and upposed YTs) took down the Star Hawk, then the Hammerhead, and then Profundity. Theia thought she had a certain ram to kill Ackbar on Jaina's Light, but the angles were just off, and the Red Fish escaped into the setting sun.

LTD: 400

Theia: 0 (but Ackbar on one hull, other CRs in real danger).

Thanks to a good opponent and good luck against @The Jabbawookie in the race for H2.

@l3ct3r I urge you in the name of all that is Dodonna to beat RealVeers very solidly so that I don't have to face the Moralo nonsense. Come quickly, FFG, and nerf this madness!