Sign in to follow this  
PivotmasterDM1

Guesses on the Story Box contents?

On 2/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Ascarel said:

It was an Asmodée rep, who might be in the know, and who might not. If it's anything like software development, R&D and sales reps don't live on the same planet most of the time. 😋

In any case, he said 3 heroes and 5 scenarios.

Thank you for the correction!

20 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

Despite my suspicions that the story box will be Guardians of the Galaxy, I would really prefer it be a "closing to an Avengers arc" with Ghost Rider and Blade as the heroes and Dormammu or Malaketh as the villain. When speculation was that we'd get Ghost Rider before the E-Bay spoils I was really getting really hype and started researching the current character (Danny Ketch was the Ghost Rider I was familiar with, Johnny Blaze just being "Blaze" back then). Of course Blade had always been cool too.

Deadpool: "I love your Wesley Snipes impersonation!"

I'll love what ever it turns out to be but would prefer the closure those two characters would give for the Jason Aaron team. 

If the title is War Of The Realms then it would most likely do all those things.  Would be interesting if Malaketh was the big box villain.  No one is really expecting that.  For people who only watched the MCU movies I think Malaketh rates pretty low on the villain rankings.

If the size of the redactions are anything substantial, the first blank is a pretty short word like "Age" or "Rise". Second blank is decently larger. Could contain 2 words. My hope is that it is The Age of Apocalypse but I know that I am really reaching for that one. 

Sticking by my guns and saying it's Guardians of the Galaxy with Star Lord, Drax and Rocket having the slots with Gamora, Groot and Mantis as the respective allies.

Do we know how big the cycles are going to be and if they plan to stick to the same Hero to Villain pack breakdown? I know all the other LCG cycles seem to be 6 packs then a big boxer but this cycle looks to be 8 packs (6 heroes and 2 villains). 

They've been clear on the last stream that there is no such thing as a 'cycle' for this game, even though Caleb did acknowledge that it's hard not to think of a 'thematic' series of releases as one. But this still means there is no such expectation to have here, in terms of how many heroes, packs and whatnot, until they decide to change theme or setting.

Edited by Ascarel

46 minutes ago, Ascarel said:

They've been clear on the last stream that there is no such thing as a 'cycle' for this game, even though Caleb did acknowledge that it's hard not to think of a 'thematic' series of releases as one. But this still means there is no such expectation to have here, in terms of how many heroes, packs and whatnot, until they decide to change theme or setting.

I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info! Makes sense now. Also makes it harder to predict! lol

The most we can guess involving “cycles” is what aspects the next hero packs will fill in. Black Widow will finish out Justice since Thor is Aggression, Ms Marvel was Protection and Captain America was Leadership.

Dr Strange is starting another group with Protection and Hulk is gonna be Aggression. The next two hero packs after that will have to be Leadership and Justice. Then another round of aspect “cycles” will begin. 

@Ascarel While not a dedicated cycle like their other games they still are going to be releasing six hero packs before the story box much like their other LCG’s.

Edited by Hyperjayman

8 hours ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

If the size of the redactions are anything substantial, the first blank is a pretty short word like "Age" or "Rise". Second blank is decently larger. Could contain 2 words. My hope is that it is The Age of Apocalypse but I know that I am really reaching for that one. 

I originally had my guess on “The Rise of Doctor Doom” and a Fantastic Four theme, but I’d also accept “The Age of Apocalypse”

So far in terms of characters in the game and art - we obviously have plenty of avengers, some of the defenders and guardians. There's no reference anywhere in characters, art or flavour text to anything else. My bet is still on Guardians of the Galaxy and Thanos theming for the big box. 

They'll do that at some point eventually, but any later than now and it'll be moving even further away from those things being in the public consciousness and the original movie releases. 

21 minutes ago, BCumming said:

"The Doom of Richards!" starring Victor Von Doom.

I mean, I find it unlikely in the extreme that we’ll ever have a story box that name checks a specific hero, if only because of modularity. 

42 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

Age of Ultron makes a ton of sense since he was a big MCU and comics villain while still leaving Thanos and the big hitters for later. Then the rumors of Ant-man, Wasp and magnetos kids would fit.

But he’s already in the core set. Thanos and the Infinity gem/stones would make more sense. We even have Dormammu on the cover of the core set. 

The game isn’t even six months old, let alone a year. Giving Ultron another spotlight reeks of repetitiveness.  And this early in games life needs to be filled with different options. When we get a year plus out, bringing back villains with a new twist would be more sensible. 

I wish if they do the infinity stones in the futere to do them as an modulare set of cards,and you can put that set in any villian you want.Also to have a mechanic that when a stone reveald from the encounder deck not only the villian but also the heros can have it as upgrade(stole it or fight it).In this way the stones can split among all the carachters and don't have the

I have a feeling its Thanos, with the heroes finishing off the Avengers "cycle".

Maybe Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hawkeye, lots of really core Avengers to choose from. Depends how many heroes we get in a campaign box really.

If not Avengers then Guardians is probably favourite.

Starlord, Rocket, Gamora, Drax and Groot? 

I would prefer the campaign boxes to have a bigger villain to hero ratio though, its just needed at this point.

But most importantly, im really hoping they come up with some solid creative rules for campaigns. Will be quite disappointed if its just some flavour txt linking the scenarios ala the core set.

I just wish we would get a new scenario each month instead of a new hero. It's more fun for me to play my favorite hero against a new villain than it is to play a new hero against the same villain. So really, I hope the campaign boxes are all villains and no heroes. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:11 AM, Damenwood said:

I just wish we would get a new scenario each month instead of a new hero. It's more fun for me to play my favorite hero against a new villain than it is to play a new hero against the same villain. So really, I hope the campaign boxes are all villains and no heroes. 

The product page says: 

Campaign Expansions – The larger campaign expansions introduce a series of three to five linked scenarios that let you live out your favorite comic book stories! These boxes contain both new heroes and villains to expand your game of Marvel Champions!

So we know its a mix of both. 

As an aside, I'm glad they're currently prioritising hero packs over anything else. Each pack adds at least 4 new ways to play and injects new cards into the Aspects, making you want to revisit other heroes. For me personally, it's exploring the hero/aspect combos and player card pool that gives the game replayability. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:11 AM, Damenwood said:

I've found it interesting that there seem to be opinions ranging all the way from "all I want is scenario packs" through "I want I even mix of heroes and villains" to "all I want is new player cards in hero packs". The number of people in each camp also feels to me to be reasonably even, at least among the population of 'people who post their MC:LCG desires on Internet forums', which admittedly may not be representative of the community as a whole!

Personally, I'm more excited about new scenarios but I think it makes sense to build up the player card pool quickly at first to satisfy people who really enjoy the deck construction aspect of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if over time the mix of releases went from more heroes to more scenarios.

Edited by Assussanni

3 hours ago, Assussanni said:

I've found it interesting that there seem to be opinions ranging all the way from "all I want is scenario packs" through "I want I even mix of heroes and villains" to "all I want is new player cards in hero packs". The number of people in each camp also feels to me to be reasonably even, at least among the population of 'people who post their MC:LCG desires on Internet forums', which admittedly may not be representative of the community as a whole!

Personally, I'm more excited about new scenarios but I think it makes sense to build up the player card pool quickly at first to satisfy people who really enjoy the deck construction aspect of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if over time the mix of releases went from more heroes to more scenarios.

Oh for sure - I think as the game gets older the release schedule may well settle to more of a balance between heroes and scenarios. Although I do think there will always be more hero packs releasing than scenarios. 

I'm starting to wish that the scenarios were more like the "hero pods". I guess more generic would be a way to put it. Where a villain had their signature cards and the scenario had its own cards and you could mix them up more. This may hurt thematics somewhat, but it sure would change up things. I am still not bored yet but during a recent week long vacation I was able to log 32 games... and it got me thinking that the game still could, and hopefully will be, so much more.

My final guess is The Rise of Thanos. Heroes are Gamora, Drax and Rocket. (Star Lord would be the first pack after since it could probably sell by itself). 
The five scenarios will resolve around the infinity gems, with two different Thanos fights (like Green Goblin). The other fights will be vs Ronin the Accuser, The Black Order, and something else. Maybe Ego to tie in with the second Guardians. 

My thoughts are that story wise, it makes sense for the Avengers to team up with the GotG to fight Thanos in order to mirror the movies, which is where a lot of non-comic book fans will be coming from. 

I also think there will just be a tool box of new cards, instead of full decks. So each aspect might get 3-5 new cards and a few basic ones. 

After, it would pick back up with the single Heroes with Star Lord being Leadership, Mantis being Justice, and Groot being Protection. 

Maybe we’d get a Ravagers scenario pack thrown in for good measure.