Sign in to follow this  
WLVA

playmat?

I've never played with a playmat before, because they're so expensive. Could someone please explain the advantages, especially for Cosmic Encounter Duel? And what about storage -- will this playmat fit inside the box, either flat or rolled up?

These playmats are normally large sized (thus wouldn't fit inside the Core Box), and are meant as a learning of placement for the game components as well as built with two players in mind - one per side.  The last few I ordered where rolled up in a plastic one-time use container.   The playmat material is neoprene-like with artwork under a light clear coating to protect it from normal usage.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, WLVA said:

I've never played with a playmat before, because they're so expensive. Could someone please explain the advantages, especially for Cosmic Encounter Duel? And what about storage -- will this playmat fit inside the box, either flat or rolled up?

They are cool items that have no real purposes or give you any help apart from how to position cards (which isn't necessarily helpful, and many players use different configurations regardless - right-handed vs left-handed players will have different preferences just to say one; then depends on table space and so on). It merely aesthetics, I'd say, and the desire to pimp our games.

If you're the kind of player who orders a new game right away, posts on the company's forums, and thinks about spending $30 more for a playmat, then you're the kind of player who doesn't actually need the playmat. You're already motivated to acquire, learn, and teach the game.

The mat is designed to attract interest from causals passing by a demo table at a live event. FFG just makes them available to purchase because a small number of hardcore completists want one, and producing/selling extras can help reduce the marketing costs through extra sales revenue and potentially lower per-unit pricing on higher quantities.

If you have $30 to blow and you think it's cool, buy it. But you won't be missing out or have any trouble learning the game without it; it's just eye candy.

Edited by Just_a_Bill