Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Argabright

Opinion on Turrets

Ion does more consistent damage. Actually ionizing something is a nice bonus, but you can't count on it.

Dorsal can do more damage in a single shot, but will deal no damage at all more often than ion.

So, in general, Ion > Dorsal

There are certain exceptions. Kavil (scum Y-Wing) really loves Dorsal turret, as he gets to roll an extra die with it, reducing the chance of dealing zero damage while raising his spike damage.

22 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

If you can afford it, use ion.  If you can't... consider bringing a different ship?

The extra die is huge and ioning a ship can just flat out win games.

Pretty much this.

At their costs, Ion beats the stuffing out of Dorsal.  I don't think Dorsal is bad (TIE/sf and RZ-2 A-Wings have demonstrated that high time-on-target with 2 dice attacks is fine), but Ion is a lot better.

While some folks might say "oh, well Ion weapons never deal Ion tokens," that entirely misses the fact that an attack which doesn't do Ion damage probably wouldn't have dealt any damage at all if it was a 2-dice Dorsal.

//

There at least a few exceptions.  Kavil probably wants Dorsal, since 3-dice Dorsal is probably better than 4-dice Ion, but Ion control Kavil might be good too.  Also, Drea Renthal doesn't care as much about the effect as the fact that a turret provides an extra arc, and she'll be totally fine with just a Dorsal, if that saving gets you something else good for your list.

If you're bringing Veteran Turret Gunner ships, that's another place where Dorsal is probably fine as a cost savings, but I don't know if any VTG builds really make sense after the recent points adjustment.

I should give Dorsal Kavil a shot, so to speak; I've always run him with ion just because the extra die (or dice, if I'm Trick Shotting) almost guarantees at least a damage, and is pretty intimidating against aces who can't afford to be ioned and Med/Large bases who I can potentially ion with one shot... then my pretties swoop in the next turn.

Going to try a BTLB Y wing build with All Ion turrets R4 astros and 3 ships with proton bombs to discourage stern attacks...The BTLs can soak up damage pretty good due to their ability, the R4 allows them to shed reds, just worried about damage out put. but with 5 of them. will see..The points adjustment helped this build..  Was really hoping the E wings would come down more.. They did but not enough.  you can field 4 generics now.. 

Not a fan of range 1-2 2.0 turrets in general.  I only use them on Y-Wings with VTG for double-taps.  Ions more often than dorsal for the extra die.

If not for VTG I probably wouldn't use them at all.

I personally feel it depends on the ship they are on and Pilot abilities. I’ve seen Ions both be effective and down right sad because they are unable to get their effects to trigger. Dorsal turrets can be consistent and often times the saved points could mean that extra gun.

3 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

Not a fan of range 1-2 2.0 turrets in general.  I only use them on Y-Wings with VTG for double-taps.  Ions more often than dorsal for the extra die.

If not for VTG I probably wouldn't use them at all.

TIE Aggressors are extremely affordable now. Granted, missiles are often a better choice than turrets, but it’s still a choice to make. Ion Aggressors are down to 31 and a Dorsal aggressor is what a naked Scimitar Bomber was a week ago.

Just lock it behind you and pretend you’re a discount TIE/sf...

Also - for what it's worth - the Ion Cannon Turret is hyperspace legal, the Dorsal Turret isn't. I tend to try and default to a squad where I don't need to check the format before a game....

But yes, if using the ship is allowed, being able to swarm 6 onyx squadron scouts - 3-dice turrets, decent initiative, and half-a-dozen arcs on the board - is a concerning thing to have to deal with.

I think it depends.  Dorsal are significantly cheaper and work better when at R1.  Ion is overall more useful as it is effective R 1-2. Ion is also a form of control.  

Do you have a few points to tack on a Dorsal? Do you really want the Ion Turret for control as part of your strategy? 

When you get beyond 200 points and into Epic Battles, it gets interesting as you aren't as tight on points.   In those 300 pt games that require you to protect objectives, turrets become good options.  Ion can be great to allow your objective to get away, but Dorsal can be great when you know roughly where the enemy will be (near objective).