Jump to content
KnightHammer

Destiny has now met its destiny, FFG has just killed the game off

Recommended Posts

I think the game was screwed from jump. I have one core set that I found by luck at my local Gamestop... For a few months I would call different Gamestops asking if they had any new packs, they never had packs even though it was listed as a product they sold in stores. I don't think FFG put the effort in to make the game easily available for people to pick up and play. Online Shopping shouldn't be the only place to get a few packs of cards. 

Edited by Kaijudo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mburnaugh64 said:

After the layoffs I was wondering which game was going to get the axe first, sadness I really liked this game. 

You can always play the game with the collection you have now. Or make Proxies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without digging through everything, I'll add a one more point to all the discussion of dead games.

Games that die don't always do so because of their quality, or their success/failure.  Several of the games on both lists didn't cancel because they weren't doing well, but because of licensing issues.  Decipher very much had the FFG problem where a wonderfully elegant system was run into the ground by bad balance and design, but the SWCCG was still going when they lost the Star Wars license.  Warhammer:Invasion suffered the same fate when they couldn't renew the license with GW.  I don't honestly know what happened with Netrunner but it was coming into rotation with a new set when the license reverted.

I think both sides have good points to make, but are tending towards confirmation bias in where they categorize successful and failed games.  Both models have advantages and drawbacks - LCGs tend to be better early, and for completionists.  CCGs are easier to get in to later in their life, and for low-investment players.  But rarely is the model the only - or even the dominant - cause of success or failure.

In Destiny's case the problems were many.  An elegant system was run into the ground by bad balance and design (sound familiar?)  Early distribution issues built an incredible amount of FOMO hype that the game just couldn't live up to.  Rotation was too fast, and ongoing distribution problems burned people out.  I'm sure some will object to these ("Rotation was perfect!") but that misses the point.  Each of these things drove some people out of the game, and they all built into a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buhallin said:

In Destiny's case the problems were many.  An elegant system was run into the ground by bad balance and design (sound familiar?)  Early distribution issues built an incredible amount of FOMO hype that the game just couldn't live up to.  Rotation was too fast, and ongoing distribution problems burned people out.  I'm sure some will object to these ("Rotation was perfect!") but that misses the point.  Each of these things drove some people out of the game, and they all built into a failure.

I agree with all of the above. I would also contend that FFG’s lack of support experience with a collectible distribution model contributed as well. For example, both draft packs were released after their sets release. We all know from watching Magic that the number one casual gathering attended is on the release day where sealed and draft tournaments are run as often as a store can fire them.

FFG ran Destiny the same as a non-collectible game, instead of embracing the qualities that separate a collectible game from a fixed pack one.

Edited by gokubb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Warhammer:Invasion suffered the same fate when they couldn't renew the license with GW. 

Invasion was closed in 2013 probably because of bad sales. FFG and GW partnership ended in 2017. Probably you had in min Warhammer 40K Conquest LCG that was terminated because of split-up.  

Edited by kempy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kempy said:

Invasion was closed in 2013 probably because of bad sales. FFG and GW partnership ended in 2017. Probably you had in min Warhammer 40K Conquest LCG that was terminated because of split-up.  

Sorry, yes - Conquest.  My bad there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...