Sign in to follow this  
Ronu

Special Forces Aces

So we are now up to 4 S/F Aces. Ironically Backdraft, Lt. LeHuse, and Captain Phasma all weigh in at 39 points. They are all doing radically different things within a squad

Backdraft at I4 is a prime S/F Gunner candidate. His ability can certainly discourage ships getting behind him adding an extra dice and the Gunner having double tap potential after the initial pass.

Lt. LeHuse is I5 with a Vessery’esq ability. While he does spend another ships lock he can still be a powerful gun as a result. This ship being super diverse as an ordnance ship or with the S/F Gunner might be a steal until the next update.

Captain Phasma is also I4, but a wildly different effect compared to Backdraft. Phasma wants to be a finisher ace. As with all S/F TIE’s she doesn’t have the typical weaknesses of lower Initiative Aces with her front and rear arcs. Her ability to turn her wing mates into “shields” means she’s either unlikely to be shot early on or potentially survive an alpha and gives her squad a chance to leverage the fact they survived in such numbers. 

It will be interesting to see who if any of these see any significant play during the HS season. Will also be interesting to see if LeHuse or Phasma are worth their points and what direction they ultimately end up moving.

Phasma I think might work alongside Fanatical TIE/fo - yes, you can't force an opponent to shoot at her, but if her ability discourages people from shooting her that's no small thing, and at 49 points with a Special Forces Gunner she's not that painfully expensive for an I4 pilot with a 3-dice primary and some tricks.

LeHuse is okay. I5 is nice - his ability would pair well with Lieutenant Rivas to get lots of free locks. It's a shame Targeting Synchroniser is non-Hyperspace and most of the missile types have been removed too.

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Phasma's ability is near reasonless. 

LeHuse is reasonable. 

Backdraft... eh. Known quantity. Sfs die fast if focused. 

Really would have liked Lightweight frame or some defensive option. They have no mod stacking at all. 

Most any ships die and fast to focused fire. 

As to Phasma,  I think she has some interesting potential. She is essentially giving her entire squad Selfless when she is being targeted(range limitations considered). So she actually has a few rather different and interesting options for build outs. 

You could see her with Angled deflectors to further reduce incoming damage. She could get away with a Stealth Device to up her Defense dice and with her ability avoid that bit extra damage for just a bit longer. Shield or Hull upgrades means that extra bit of damage is needed to bring an already tough opponent down as long as she has other ships close. She can also be offensive daring an opponent to ignore her and punish them  for doing so. 

Edited by Ronu
Writing at 4:30 AM might cause errors

Really would have liked Lightweight frame or some defensive option. They have no mod stacking at all. 

Why do you want 1.0 back? Defense creep and mod stacking were shown to be horrible for the game!

3 hours ago, Ronu said:

Ironically Backdraft, Lt. LeHuse, and Captain Phasma all weigh in at 39 points.

I think that's pretty neat, allows all 4+their SF gunner, with 4 points to spare

They also don't have boost, as you're likely going for shield or duet cells. 

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

Why do you want 1.0 back? Defense creep and mod stacking were shown to be horrible for the game!

I never said that. Who said that? Not I

With regards to Backdraft, I find he is far more effective without the SF Gunner, because he really doesn't need it - just treat his ship as if it's been put together backwards. You never need to rotate your arc so bumping/obstacles won't deny you a shot by virtue of taking away your action, and it makes him a whole lot cheaper; you can fit in all the essentials (Fanatical, FCS, Hull Upgrade if you like) for fewer than 50pts total. The SF double-shot is a niche case that is not worth paying 10pts for (Veteran Tail Gunner, after all, isn't exactly worth the 4 that it costs).

Perhaps it's just the way I fly the TIE/SF, but Backdraft outperforms Quickdraw every time for me - with Quickdraw there is too much pressure to get the maximum value from your retaliation shots which is at least partly out of your hands (dice might just decide to take all your shields in one fell swoop).

On 1/14/2020 at 4:38 AM, GreenDragoon said:

I think that's pretty neat, allows all 4+their SF gunner, with 4 points to spare

Hadn’t considered this but as I look at it not sure it works quite as well as might be hoped. If the Gunners were 8 points where you can tool them up just a bit totally.  

Quickdraw is a pretty independent ship that is going to draw agro quickly. Likewise Backdraft does what he does regardless of the squad around him unless tooled you to assist in some other way.

on the reverse Phasma and LeHuse kinda benefit more from a larger ship count creating additional opportunities for their pilot abilities to activate. 

Phasma is interesting in that you can spread damage to activate fanatical.  This is a list I plan on trying with her.  Basically she engages with the mini swarm and holo cuts in when the opportunity presents itself.  

Captain Phasma (39)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
    Special Forces Gunner (10)    

Ship total: 53  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 3    

Omega Squadron Ace (28)    
    Fanatical (2)    

Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Omega Squadron Ace (28)    
    Fanatical (2)    

Omega Squadron Ace (28)    
    Fanatical (2)    

"Holo" (54)    
    Proud Tradition (2)    

Ship total: 56  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 2    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z385XW186WW182WWY267X181WWY267X181WWY267X181WWY382X319WWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Phasma is good straight up for that wing leader ability, but she also is the new best buddy for Tavson. Shoot at her, and she'll redirect damage to the guy who gets free actions on a 4 die gun. To really push the envelope with that threat, pack a low-init Silencer as well, such that if something I3 or lower damages Tavson or if a thing damages him out of arc (both often courtesy of Phasma), a coordinated lock + boost will bring the heat!

Similarly Lehuse is good in HS but even better outside it (very thematic, along with ability). Blockers can spend their action on the block to get a lock, which just gives LeHuse full mods. A disengaging ship, especially a TIE/ba can lock something, and now he has full mods. Midnight could have a lock and consider letting go of it after his attack so that LeHuse can properly use it.

Rivas is his best friend, since Rivas can lock off a red/orange token and Lehuse can work from it. In extended, if Rivas has a targeting sync, LeHuse can spend the lock to mod a Mag Pulse Warhead [launched by targeting sync], and when the attack hits, Rivas regains the lock for the tokens! Also extended, QD can mod via FCS, after which Rivas makes full use of the lock, although in this trick, a coordinator to QD is recommended.

The best Lehuse probably involves Proton Rockets.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

11 minutes ago, Micanthropyre said:

Phasma and Tavson are best friends but not in Hyperspace.

I keep seeing people saying this... but to quote Admiral Ackbar: “It’s a trap” 

You are already at 1/2 your list (103) and that’s just them bare. An opponent is likely just going to focus on Tavson at that point. The other option is to wait until they can force Phasma away from Tavson.  And since she won’t have as much wing support tackle her then. 

Phasma is really a high squad count ship. And her ability is a completely inverted Biggs so the more around her the more likely she is to activate her ability and survive to the end game.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, Ronu said:

She can also be offensive daring an opponent to ignore her and punish them  for doing so. 

This is what you are gonna want to do with her. Make her annoying for your opponent if they ignore her. Slap on Snapshot or Hotshot Gunner or Prockets or Mag Pulse Missiles. Something to help your squad and screw your opponent if he lets Phasma to just simply be ignored, but dont load her up to 60+pts making it worth killing her. The fanatical Omega FOs are a good wingmate as they are cheap if the opponent shoots them, and has 3 green dice vs Phasmas two dice. A lot of ships work with Phasma like Quickdraw, Tavson, etc.

Edited by wurms

Just now, Ronu said:

I keep seeing people saying this... but to quote Admiral Ackbar: “It’s a trap” 

You are already at 1/2 your list (103) and that’s just them bare. An opponent is likely just going to focus on Tavson at that point. The other option is to wait until they can force Phasma away from Tavson.  And since she won’t have as much wing support tackle her then. 

Phasma is really a high squad count ship. And her ability is a completely inverted Biggs so the more around her the more likely she is to activate her ability and survive to the end game.

You don't believe in Phasma + Tavson + TIE/ba or generic Silencer+ friend? Sure, the swarm is better, but I'm sure that hammer + anvil can work with her. Toss SF gunner on Phasma and reduce the list size to 3 so that you can have Kylo + 11 pts to play with!

Kylo Ren (76)    
    Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)    

Ship total: 82  Half Points: 41  Threshold: 3    

Lieutenant Tavson (64)    
Ship total: 64  Half Points: 32  Threshold: 6    

Captain Phasma (39)    

Ship total: 51  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 3    

Total: 195    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z236XWW134WY289XWWWWWWWY385X181WWW182WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

You can juice that bid to 11 if you need to for Kylo by dropping torps. The plan is simple: don't let them shoot at Kylo, slow roll out Tavson and Phasma. They'll shoot at Tavson which is fine. Tavson can reinforce with his action, then after he's shot he can get mods or pass a target lock or whatever. You can FCS Phasma because she'll get an occasional coordinate from Tavson, theres some room for play in there. Kylo is an amazing end game piece. Having flown Tavson a bunch, people just ignore him, in this list they can't. Bumping Tavson into Phasma is totally fine too.

18 minutes ago, wurms said:

This is what you are gonna want to do with her. Make her annoying for your opponent if they ignore her. Slap on Snapshot or Hotshot Gunner or Prockets or Mag Pulse Missiles. Something to help your squad and screw your opponent if he lets Phasma to just simply be ignored, but dont load her up to 60+pts making it worth killing her. The fanatical Omega FOs are a good wingmate as they are cheap if the opponent shoots them, and has 3 green dice vs Phasmas two dice. A lot of ships work with Phasma like Quickdraw, Tavson, etc.

So like this? I really like the look of it, even though I feel Snapshot needs an intrinsic effect (Torani, Turr, Airen, Seevor, Laetin, etc.)to maximize points.

Phasma Gang

(39) Captain Phasma [TIE/sf Fighter]
(7) Snap Shot

(25) Epsilon Squadron Cadet [TIE/fo Fighter]

(52) "Ember" [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Daredevil

Total points: 200

5 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

You don't believe in Phasma + Tavson + TIE/ba or generic Silencer+ friend? Sure, the swarm is better, but I'm sure that hammer + anvil can work with her. Toss SF gunner on Phasma and reduce the list size to 3 so that you can have Kylo + 11 pts to play with!

Quite honestly no. Tavson isn’t even in HS so we can ignore that part of the conversation currently. 

In general though I just don’t see it being effective enough. It’s not that it’s not effective at all or lacks synergy. I just don’t see enough there to make it overcome the glaring effects or target priorities. I think LeHuse could actually be the better wing for Tavson. 

I do encourage folks to prove me wrong though. Try it out and see for yourself. Personally if I know I’m going to have to activate Tavson, either by shooting at Phasma or just shooting Tavson and I can get a shot on Tavson I might as well just burn him down. The once Tavson is gone or Phasma it out of range of him to should damage onto she’s just going to be an I4 SF TIE. You’re not going to want to put damage into Kylo and put him at risk Rush maybe to turn on his i6 but not more than that

5 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

So like this? I really like the look of it, even though I feel Snapshot needs an intrinsic effect (Torani, Turr, Airen, Seevor, Laetin, etc.)to maximize points.

Phasma Gang

(39) Captain Phasma [TIE/sf Fighter]
(7) Snap Shot

(52) "Ember" [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Daredevil

Total points: 200

That or possibly something like this 

TIE/sf Fighter - Omega Squadron Expert - 36
    Omega Squadron Expert - (34)
        Fanatical (2)

Fanatical (2)

Fanatical (2)

Fanatical (2)

TIE/sf Fighter - •Captain Phasma - 56
    •Captain Phasma - Scyre Survivor (39)
        Fanatical (2)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Angled Deflectors (3)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

3 minutes ago, Ronu said:

TIE/sf Fighter - •Captain Phasma - 56
    •Captain Phasma - Scyre Survivor (39)
        Fanatical (2)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Angled Deflectors (3)

I really like this build for phasma she will be tough.  

1 minute ago, Smikies02 said:

I don't think you realize how good that is for the FO player.

You beat Tavson lists by ignoring Tavson and killing his friends. Not shooting him so he has double mods on his attack.

The issue is if I am going to be dealing with that anyway why not just focus down to eliminate that threat a quickly as possible? Why try to shoot Phasma who may take 0 damage just to activate Tavson?

1 minute ago, Ronu said:

The issue is if I am going to be dealing with that anyway why not just focus down to eliminate that threat a quickly as possible? Why try to shoot Phasma who may take 0 damage just to activate Tavson?

focus fire through reinforce and 12hp with an agility and receiving a 4 die modded shot in return is a lot more painful and time consuming than you'd think

1 minute ago, Ronu said:

Well, Phasma/Tavson gives some interesting target priority issues, but the answer is pretty simple: Reinforce.

Tavson has 12 health. You aren't burning him down when he has the reinforce token. And it'll feel real bad to only do 1 damage with 3 hits against him. Then he nukes you for 3 dmg on his attack.

1 minute ago, Smikies02 said:

Well, Phasma/Tavson gives some interesting target priority issues, but the answer is pretty simple: Reinforce.

Tavson has 12 health. You aren't burning him down when he has the reinforce token. And it'll feel real bad to only do 1 damage with 3 hits against him. Then he nukes you for 3 dmg on his attack.

I’ve stated before I personally don’t see it as being as effective as people are looking at it. We are just going to spin our wheels here so. Just going to say I don’t see it myself and move on.