Jump to content
Mistervimes

EotE Governments and Duty

Recommended Posts

I'm gearing up for my first Star Wars campaign using the FFG rules set. I have seven players and historically they create a pretty diverse group, are great at accepting campaign premise,  and make narratively interesting choices. With all the options on the table there will be at least two AoR classes in an EotE campaign. I am setting the game at around 15 ABY on the Rim and into Wild Space. 

What governments (other than the Republic and the Imperial Remnant) would be good options for AoR classes to have a Duty to?

Or should I just universally use Obligation and call it a day?



Edit: Oxford comma.

Edited by Mistervimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest to stick to one Ressource, because it is going to be far easier and it is how it was intended. Or if you feel up to it, let the players decide what they want (duty or obligation). You could have a duty to a cartel like black sun or hutts or one you create your self (maybe something more ambiguous and less "evil") . That means you aren't a freelancer in for the money, but a proper gang member looking to improve your position in the cartel and to increase its territory. Or you could have a duty to the Bounty Hunters Guild. Or maybe to a corporation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's down to what the campaign will focus on, rather than which book(s) the careers are taken from, and is something that the group should work out ahead of time.

This goes for all three subsystems. Force-sensitive characters aren't *required* to use morality; it's there if the character/campaign arc is about internal emotional struggle, but if that's not a major theme then it should also be set aside.

For that matter, you don't actually have to use any of them if none really suit your campaign structure. The system won't break.

Edited by Garran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Garran said:

For that matter, you don't actually have to use any of them if none really suit your campaign structure. The system won't break.

Seconded, I don't use any of them past chargen.  One note is that a few of the AoR specs have Talents that affect Duty, but I was able to easily re-skin them.

Obligation is probably the simplest to run, if you feel compelled to use one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tend to invite players to replace the Dutybound or sometimes Responsibility Obligations with Duties, if it seems appropriate. Vice versa if an Obligation would fit better.

I play pretty fast and loose with the names of careers and specs, I wouldn't care if someone wanted to use the Politico spec to play a bounty hunter. Does the Politico spec make you a politician? Not unless you want it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I would tend to invite players to replace the Dutybound or sometimes Responsibility Obligations with Duties, if it seems appropriate. Vice versa if an Obligation would fit better.

I play pretty fast and loose with the names of careers and specs, I wouldn't care if someone wanted to use the Politico spec to play a bounty hunter. Does the Politico spec make you a politician? Not unless you want it to.

Duties are something your character wants to do. Obligations are things your character is trying to escape. So dutybound is a task your character does because they have to not because they want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Duties are something your character wants to do. Obligations are things your character is trying to escape. So dutybound is a task your character does because they have to not because they want to.

That's a good point. I guess it really does depend on the situation. In an Edge group, an Obligation might fit best, though.

To the original topic, that breakdown would tend to suggest that if they are all-in with whatever organization, it should be Duty whereas if they'd rather get away from (Black Sun, Zann Consortium, etc.) it should be Obligation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MaxXIII said:

I'd suggest to stick to one Ressource, because it is going to be far easier and it is how it was intended. Or if you feel up to it, let the players decide what they want (duty or obligation). You could have a duty to a cartel like black sun or hutts or one you create your self (maybe something more ambiguous and less "evil") . That means you aren't a freelancer in for the money, but a proper gang member looking to improve your position in the cartel and to increase its territory.

This is ultimately what will likely happen. I'm very much about player agency and session zero discussions. I want to give them options beyond the Republic.

18 hours ago, MaxXIII said:

Or you could have a duty to the Bounty Hunters Guild. Or maybe to a corporation. 

Having a Duty to the Guild (rather than Obligation) is a really interesting idea. It implies a deeper involvement than for-hire. 

 

Edited by Mistervimes
Formating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

I've been perusing the Long Arm of the Hutts and I can say that's a fantastic potential campaign setting

Thanks for pointing me to that. I didn't pick up the beginner game. This looks very cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mandelorian showed us a really good example of Duty.

 

When Mando acquired Beskar, twice he ensured that some was set aside for the Foundlings (This is the Way). That's a pretty solid example of the Resource Acquisition Duty if there ever was one.

Edited by kaosoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

The Mandelorian showed us a really good example of Duty.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

When Mando acquired Beskar, twice he ensured that some was set aside for the Foundlings (This is the Way). That's a pretty solid example of the Resource Acquisition Duty if there ever was one.

 

 

Or a manifestation of the Clan Obligation. Not necessarily something forced, but just a matter of wanting to support the clan and so RPing the Obligation and giving up resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Or a manifestation of the Clan Obligation. Not necessarily something forced, but just a matter of wanting to support the clan and so RPing the Obligation and giving up resources.

except he did it willingly it wasnt forced on him. So it is Duty to clan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

except he did it willingly it wasnt forced on him. So it is Duty to clan. 

Or, like I said, he feels an Obligation to his clan, so he gave it willingly. Either works fine. Or you could say his Obligation triggered that session and he gave it to avoid his Obligation increasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it as an obligation. He's not exactly stressed out about giving away the excess resources (Lowering his strain threshold). Futhermore, his devotion to the clan is not something keeps biting him in the ***. His actions may cause problems to the clan, but not the other way around. So it's clearly duty and not obligation.

Obligation should be something you want to get rid of. Duty is something you want to do more. Clearly he is devoted to his clan and wants to rise in the ranks, not to leave them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall the Centrality being a government outside the empire during the galactic civil war and I believe afterwards. Otherwise there is the Chiss Ascendancy and other races from the unknown regions that invade. I'm not sure if the Hapes Cluster is independent but that isn't a rimward area 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, Mistervimes said:

Thanks for pointing me to that. I didn't pick up the beginner game. This looks very cool. 

My bad! I meant the book "Lords of Nal Hutta"

Doh! Book has a tonne about hutt space and all the politics between the Kajidics (hutt clans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...