Sign in to follow this  
i_has_a_flavour

Doctor Strange

So with Rec 3 he’s probably got 10 or 11 HP

ability guess:

Set Up: Steven Strange begins the game with an Invocation deck (see insert)

and looks like he discards cards from the invocation deck with the Natural Talent ability. 

maybe his hero side/other cards let him cast spells from that discard pile, maybe as if they were in his hand. 

Yeah, if there is a similar side-deck in another game, I'd wager it works similarly. My guess is that there is a mini deck you shuffle up that has the top card revealed, with an ability you can play, probably discarding the top card in the process. Maybe only playable from his hero side. This alter-ego ability lets you dig for a different invocation to use.

I'm not sure how 'stitched together' this image is, but you can see misalignment from 'INVOCATION' onward as 'deck' doesn't line up with the normal text preceding 'invocation.' I'm not calling fake or anything, but I wonder if the 'limit once per phase' is placed appropriately. Most of these abilities are once-per-round instead of phase, and I don't see a functional difference. You can't activate the action ability on any of the other phases, so why switch to 'phase' instead of 'round' I wonder.

I’m gonna call it now. The Natural Talent ability is from his hero side because he’d be openly casting spells from his hero persona not his civilian one. He’s gonna have a once per round healing ability, for 2 probably,  in his alter-ego form.

20 minutes ago, Hyperjayman said:

I’m gonna call it now. The Natural Talent ability is from his hero side because he’d be openly casting spells from his hero persona not his civilian one. He’s gonna have a once per round healing ability, for 2 probably,  in his alter-ego form.

Possible, but this isn’t exactly a casting ability, it’s more about preparing to cast.

I hope for the Invocation deck they don't make all of the cards come from Doctor Strange's 15. I'd imagine they won't, just because it seems like they'd have to use all 15 of them that way or they'd just use a few of them for it and it would be really repetitive. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough for how it could work. However they do it, given what I've seen from the heroes so far, I'm not worried. I can honestly say that I'm surprised he's getting a pack so soon, but I'm really glad he is. Along with Cap, he's been at the top of my deck wishlist.

2 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

I hope for the Invocation deck they don't make all of the cards come from Doctor Strange's 15. I'd imagine they won't, just because it seems like they'd have to use all 15 of them that way or they'd just use a few of them for it and it would be really repetitive. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough for how it could work. However they do it, given what I've seen from the heroes so far, I'm not worried. I can honestly say that I'm surprised he's getting a pack so soon, but I'm really glad he is. Along with Cap, he's been at the top of my deck wishlist.

I’m imagining 10 (say) of his signature cards have the Invocation Trait, and they form a separate deck.

But! Dr Strange May be the first hero to break the 15 signature cards though - his pack details on the back list only 24 new cards for deck building which either implies 4 more reprints than the 9 Captain America came with, or perhaps more cards that not everyone can use. Maybe they are simply 5 extra cards that aren’t included in your deck that form a face up pile and you can pay to activate the top card, which is then discarded. The ability lets you discard it without casting it. Once you’re out, you reshuffle?

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

I’m imagining 10 (say) of his signature cards have the Invocation Trait, and they form a separate deck.

But! Dr Strange May be the first hero to break the 15 signature cards though - his pack details on the back list only 24 new cards for deck building which either implies 4 more reprints than the 9 Captain America came with, or perhaps more cards that not everyone can use. Maybe they are simply 5 extra cards that aren’t included in your deck that form a face up pile and you can pay to activate the top card, which is then discarded. The ability lets you discard it without casting it. Once you’re out, you reshuffle?

I do wonder if there are any plans to make aspect-specific or neutral Invocation cards not tied to a certain hero.

I'm the first to admit that most of my knowledge of the Marvel superheroes is based heavily on the movies and then subsequent reading about certain characters. I was just not a big superhero comic fan as a kid and even now tend to lean toward stuff like Hellboy, Wytches, and Harrow County. So I don't really know if there are other big characters in the Marvel universe that would use Invocation cards as well. Regardless, it's been fun learning more about the different heroes and discovering ones I hadn't looked into before. I had no idea who Scarlet Witch was before the movies and now that I'm finding out more about her she's become a favorite.

46 minutes ago, maniakmedic said:

I do wonder if there are any plans to make aspect-specific or neutral Invocation cards not tied to a certain hero.

I'm the first to admit that most of my knowledge of the Marvel superheroes is based heavily on the movies and then subsequent reading about certain characters. I was just not a big superhero comic fan as a kid and even now tend to lean toward stuff like Hellboy, Wytches, and Harrow County. So I don't really know if there are other big characters in the Marvel universe that would use Invocation cards as well. Regardless, it's been fun learning more about the different heroes and discovering ones I hadn't looked into before. I had no idea who Scarlet Witch was before the movies and now that I'm finding out more about her she's become a favorite.

There are other Marvel characters that use Magic (Brother Voodoo, Damien Helstrom) but they aren’t hugely common, and I don’t think I see them representing magic with cards just anyone could use. I could be wrong, but I suspect they’d want to keep these elements character specific.

Scarlet Witch’s powers vary a little in the comics (to the point that she does actually do some real magic at times) but her general powers of ‘Chaos Magic’ is generally regarded as being a reality altering mutant ability rather than more conventional magic... they mess with the nature of her power (and indeed her origins) a lot though, so it’s anyone’s guess how she’d be represented in the game (although I’d imagine quite differently to Dr Strange).

I figure Scarlet Witch will be different, which I'm looking forward to since I like the idea of having the heroes I want to keep full decks for all be really different in how they play. That's part of why Doctor Strange's Invocation deck idea intrigues me; it's very different from what we've seen with the other heroes so far, which is really saying something since I'd say none of them are super similar in the first place.

Many X-Men characters derive their powers from magic or are magic adjacent (Magik, Roma, Amanda Sefton, Captain Britain, Meggan, Shaman, Forge) though to be fair few of them would use Invocations in the same way Doctor Strange would. Doctor Doom does, and depending on how they want to depict him Adam Warlock does as well.  In addition many Asgardian characters use magic like Loki, Frigga and the Enchantress.  If they do Runaway characters then they could do Nico.

There are plenty of Marvel characters that use magic, but ultimately I'm not sure many of them would actually make the cut as hero choices for this game.  So I'd be surprised if we get a new card type centered around Invocations, but it would be cool.

Edited by phillos

22 hours ago, i_has_a_flavour said:

So, bits of the Doctor Strange cards have been sent

So...how are we all just ignoring this? Have I been watching too many Netflix murder docs?