Singulativ

Limited Edition Naboo Royal N-1

I'll echo the sentiments about FFG listening.  I think they can sell for a limited time, make way more money, and still keep the limited nature of the item.  Excellent work making a common-sense change!

(And yes, everyone should be fully prepared for them to sell out online in minutes.  But that will let them have a gauge for how many to stock the next time.  I seriously doubt they'll limit their profit forever just to make eBay scalpers richer.)

4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

"Scalpers" will just sit on their purchases till FFG stops selling them. This won't stop "scalpers". It does make it available to people that wouldn't make it to Adepticon, if their internet connection doesn't have issues.

Scalpers steal your opportunity to buy something you want so they can sell it back to you at inflated prices.

I have nothing against folks reselling stuff, it has always been about having the opportunity to get it if you'd want it.  FFG is clearly working on that this time, and yes, thank you FFG.

I took a lot of **** in those previous threads about this, and I'm glad to see the change in policy.  It seems it has made a number of people happy.

I guess it doesn't help @NakedDex a ton, but international shipping is probably still less than the $100+ these were being resold for before.  You would think there is a larger European and/or Oceania convention that FFG could offer these minis at, too.

Edited by Darth Meanie

That's the issue with convention exclusives (not just in this game, but any game). It's great if you're planning to go anyway, or you're relatively nearby. It's a bit of a bigger logistics issue if you're literally going to another country to attend. But that's not FFG's fault, and their solution to it is still further than I've seen most other companies go.

The alt-paints don't do much for me, but I just know the cost of international shipping from the FFG store is high from having to source RPG stuff from there in the past. $15 worth of items that cost me $30 in shipping, plus more in tax when it landed this side of the pond. I'm just putting it out there that people may find it better to pool their orders together within their group and save that cost.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Scalpers steal your opportunity to buy something you want so they can sell it back to you at inflated prices.

We have 2 differing opinions of what a "scalper" is then. I understand them to be people who purchase items with limited release windows (discount tickets, limited edition prints, etc.) for resale after the release window is closed or to those who couldn't get to the location in time. They aren't "stealing" anything, though their activities can be very inconvenient for others, especially for those looking to purchase items with extremely narrow release windows.

I'm glad to see the change in policy. 

We both are. A broader initial distribution is a good thing, especially paired with the rumored 2 max per purchaser via the website (though there are ways around that, it is a good attempt on FFG's part).

Edited by Hiemfire

I think this is probably the best way to do it.  Releasing stuff that was impossible for most fans to get made little to no sense, Selling it exclusive on your own website makes sense.  If it's limited, then it's limited-run and when they're out, they are out.  But at least make it accessible to others.

I have nothing against folks reselling stuff, it has always been about having the opportunity to get it if you'd want it.  FFG is clearly working on that this time, and yes, thank you FFG.

I took a lot of **** in those previous threads about this, and I'm glad to see the change in policy.  It seems it has made a number of people happy.

I guess it's doesn't help @NakedDex a ton, but international shipping is probably still less than the $100+ these were being resold for before.  You would think there is a larger European and/or Oceania convention that FFG could offer these minis at, too.

Legion had an exclusive mini of Obi-Wan for a European convention, it wouldn’t be to hard a stretch for them to do a X-wing mini I would imagine.

If this is gonna be as limited as Obi-Wan Kenobi on Spiel 2019 then good freaking luck getting one. They got like 20 figures per day or something. I bet the sellers were hiding some for themselves.

Edited by SSB_Shadow

As someone who is pretty much always against exclusives for my own reasons, this is a compromise that I'm much more comfortable with (I mean in general, I don't remember chiming in last time). It isn't the iconic look, and they're selling it online as well, which makes it fairly friendly. I definitely appreciate them appearing to be more open about this.

Edited by Jokubas

6 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Matt Holland has said in facebook comments that everyone playing at Adepticon will have one reserved for them.  Still need to shell out the $20 but no more standing in lines and hoping.

That's good.  Last year I could play in an event or stand in line, but not both.

5 hours ago, NakedDex said:

It's a step, but for those outside the US, shipping from the FFG store is rough. For folks in Europe, it'll cost as much or more in shipping as the item itself, plus tax on top of that.

Still cheaper than flying to an event and participating? I mean, what exactly do you expect?

It’s the best that they can really do for any sort of exclusive. I was ok with what they did in the past. I’m pretty hyped they are doing the online run as well.

5 hours ago, NakedDex said:

It's a step, but for those outside the US, shipping from the FFG store is rough. For folks in Europe, it'll cost as much or more in shipping as the item itself, plus tax on top of that.

Yeah, postage to Australia is sometimes double the cost of the item, it's brutal and our government made it so now GST has to be applied to online purchases (which is an extra 10%)

Yes, didn't mention that either but it's a great point. Since it's not a 'canon' scheme, the 'Canon collector' in me doesn't need it. But you bet the game collector me does for darn sure. Considering my little obsession with the N-1. Heck I might actually order two. If I'm lucky to get in the queue.

19 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

@KCDodger Didn't Padme have a full chrome N1 in some of the filler media (novels, comics or possibly the Clone Wars cartoon) set between Ep 2 and 3? There's allot of "dur, not Canon!!!" going around right now.

Wasn't me you asked but in the animated Forces of Destiny shorts Padme flies a all chrome N1. Thats the only appearance that I know of.

8 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Wasn't me you asked but in the animated Forces of Destiny shorts Padme flies a all chrome N1. Thats the only appearance that I know of.

I tagged who I did because I know this stuff is up their alley. Thanks for the info.

51 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Didn't Padme have a full chrome N1 in some of the filler media (novels, comics or possibly the Clone Wars cartoon) set between Ep 2 and 3? There's allot of "dur, not Canon!!!" going around right now.

I know it was already answered, but this is what you are looking for.

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, a lot of that probably came from me in particular. Although we disagree on some issues and it probably doesn't mean much considering how much of a jerk I can be, I do apologize for my behavior.

I think this is a nice thing. Granted, I find less innate appeal in a non-yellow N-1 than in the gorgeous Plo repaint of yesteryear; now that’s one I’d love to see a second run of! But IMO this is a good balance of factors. People who really want it at least have a shot.

11 hours ago, Arc170Chris said:

ohhh she's pretty. Can anyone grab me one or two? 

they said they'll be up online. might not be the most reliable, but its something.

what I want to know is what the production numbers are.  logically they either go big to make sure theres enough or plan to sell out.   So if they go big and theres leftovers then what, do they destroy them? give em away?  they state plainly that theyre only available during the con and in corporate speak that generally means they legally cannot sell them afterwords

IMO, they could make a truck ton of cash by taking orders online and printing them off for shipping 3 months later. 
if they did that for Plo, they would have had my cash straight up. I like this repaint, but I am all good if I miss out. 

X Wing is a world wide game that a lot of people just can’t take time off to go to a con. It’s the 21st century, surely we have moved past having to be in the physical location to be part of an event. 

would have made a better scenario prize ship...for a monthly store OP.. then sell it retail at the next restock.. Seriously FFG do i have to tell you how make loads of money and ovoid EBAY scalpers? ALL your major swag now runs in overpriced bids on ebay now... LEARN from WIZ KIDS!!!  

9 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Still cheaper than flying to an event and participating? I mean, what exactly do you expect?

It’s the best that they can really do for any sort of exclusive. I was ok with what they did in the past. I’m pretty hyped they are doing the online run as well.

I mean, honestly, it's probably about the same in cost. Last big event I went to was in the UK, which if I was day tripping to would have run me about €65 total. Last package I got from FFG's store was €20 worth of items costing €30 in shipping and a smidge over €10 in tax.

I'm not saying it's a bad compromise, I think they should be commended for listening to customer feedback. I just wish there was an EU store too. It's not like Asmodee don't have EU distribution centres.

4 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

IMO, they could make a truck ton of cash by taking orders online and printing them off for shipping 3 months later. 
if they did that for Plo, they would have had my cash straight up. I like this repaint, but I am all good if I miss out. 

X Wing is a world wide game that a lot of people just can’t take time off to go to a con. It’s the 21st century, surely we have moved past having to be in the physical location to be part of an event. 

I do think the Kickstarter-type model is one they should explore.  Hasbro has been doing this through their "Haslab" on their website to fund big projects like the Jabba skiff and Unicron (Transformers). That way you know you're going to sell what you make and you get the funding up front.  They could experiment with something like a set of Jedi repaints or a set of Inferno Squad ties.  Put the custom cardboard in.  Even if they needed 6 months for production after the orders were in, I would consider it.  It's all about setting expectations.

It seems like one of the biggest problems with a game like X-wing is leftover stock, and this type of model eliminates that.  I'm not saying it would work well for new ships, but it would definitely be fine for these repaint/ace type of ships.  And like Haslab, they can set a minimum order goal and if they don't meet it, they just don't produce the product.

5 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

They already struggle with the logistics of a supply chain for regular products. I don’t want to think about how messed up a Kickstarter like promo funding would go for them.

I mean, it’s a cool idea but I just don’t see how they have the bandwidth to do it.

Also, I do like the idea of worlds having something exclusive. It’s the world championships: let people have their souvenirs. And I say this as someone who by no means has a guarantee to get in (LCQ last time, and I plan on trying lcq again this year but if I don’t get in I Probably won’t have the ship)