Croste

WTH FFG!!??

The Upcoming page says the release is in February. Probably sooner since they could actually get them to B&N. BTW, for all we know Asmodee and B&N have an early release deal to keep FFG products on their shelves. Nothing nefarious may be going on here.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

The Upcoming page says the release is in February. Probably sooner since they could actually get them to B&N. BTW, for all we know Asmodee and B&N have an early release deal to keep FFG products on their shelves. Nothing nefarious may be going on here.

The last time this happened it was with wave 4 I believe, and in that case I think it was 3 or 4 weeks between that and the official release.

My bet for at least the Fireball, Vonreg, and the Aces pack is Feb 6 or 13.

Would LOVE a earlier date but I don't think we are that lucky.

1 hour ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

The last time this happened it was with wave 4 I believe, and in that case I think it was 3 or 4 weeks between that and the official release.

And then they didn’t get Wave 5 for ages, so perhaps they got a slap in the wrist and will again for Wave 7.

5 hours ago, Ikka said:

Why would you be mad at either FFG or Asmodee for this? They don't control B&N, they are merely the game developer/producers. If Barnes and Noble decideds to break the street date, that is an issue between them and Asmodee. It isn't something that FFG can deal with, as they no longer control distribution, nor is it anything to do with Asmodee disliking FLGS. It has everything, most likely, to do with local B&Ns not realizing the correct street date for product launch and deciding to put stuff up without either company approval or knowledge. 

So you are yelling on the internet for nothing, as the company you are yelling at, FFG, doesn't have anything to do with product distribution anymore. The company that does deal with distribution, Asmodee, is most likely going to be upset with B&N for breaking street dates, while B&N corporate will most likely be mad at their local stores for not reading the proper launch dates. Congratulations, you have made a very pointless thread. 

Your cool.

4 hours ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

My bet for at least the Fireball, Vonreg, and the Aces pack is Feb 6 or 13.

Would LOVE a earlier date but I don't think we are that lucky.

Wow, that is way early. The standard distributor won't send them out that early, least not to smaller stores. There must be some other distribution system in place for B&N that is screwy.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Wow, that is way early. The standard distributor won't send them out that early, least not to smaller stores. There must be some other distribution system in place for B&N that is screwy.

Can't speak for B&N but I'm pretty sure game shops only has Alliances as their distributor, as per Asmodee. I believe I received a statement awhile back that Alliances is their exclusive distributor. But then again B&N may have their own agreement with Asmodee.

Edited by Croste

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Would be in line with what has happened. Wave 4 leaked early at B&N around June 18th 2019 where the release date wasn't until July 12th I think? If so, yeah about a month possibly.

31 minutes ago, pakirby said:

One of my LGS says that the Hotshots & Aces, Devices Pack & Never Tell me the odds pack will be released this Friday 1/17.  They said the Vonreg & Fireball & RZ-1 will be released in February.  What actually happens is anyone’s guess...

MY LGS has said something similar, hasn't stated exactly what is out, but said there is stock coming for a 17/01 release.

In other news, it still blows me away that the US uses Month/Day/Year format....

4 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

MY LGS has said something similar, hasn't stated exactly what is out, but said there is stock coming for a 17/01 release.

In other news, it still blows me away that the US uses Month/Day/Year format....

It's because, here in the US, we put the month first when we write out the date....today is January 13, 2020 or 01-13-20.

12 hours ago, Croste said:

Can't speak for B&N but I'm pretty sure game shops only has Alliances as their distributor, as per Asmodee. I believe I received a statement awhile back that Alliances is their exclusive distributor. But then again B&N may have their own agreement with Asmodee.

B&N is big enough to have their own distribution system. They probably have nothing to do with Alliances, which is good about not sending things out that early. My guess is B&N gets their own shipment in straight from the docks.

22 hours ago, Mep said:

They'll pay 30-35 cents on the dollar for a CCG card and do okay. They pay what 80 cents on the dollar for x-wing products?

Not sure about every where but mine pays 50% market value for Magic and 50% MSRP for X-Wing. Not disagreeing with your premise as the volume sold is significantly different. 

1 hour ago, codytx2 said:

Not sure about every where but mine pays 50% market value for Magic and 50% MSRP for X-Wing. Not disagreeing with your premise as the volume sold is significantly different. 

That is generous on the buy and pretty good if they can buy at 50% MSRP. Retail margins tend to be rather thinner than 50%. For pawning of cards, most stores can't make it paying 50% outside of store credit. Shipping and the often 15% for ebay or related services charge for selling items eat up a good percentage. It's great if they can move the cards locally but often they resort to online selling of cards. So that is always factored in.

12 minutes ago, Mep said:

Shipping and the often 15% for ebay or related services charge for selling items eat up a good percentage. It's great if they can move the cards locally but often they resort to online selling of cards

I think the volume helps offset the high fees and shipping. They also let players buy from the "online" box as long as no one has purchased it online that day. On the retail side we pay MSRP as they do not try to compete with online stores and we don't expect them to. Most of the regulars in the store see the value of having a consistent venue to use.

So I keep,even now, hearing that despite the card packs out next week and B&N having them, that the Hotshots and Aces is 'delayed'.

If the stock is literally out there for shops to break dates/go early and put them out, how can they be delayed?

7 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

So I keep,even now, hearing that despite the card packs out next week and B&N having them, that the Hotshots and Aces is 'delayed'.

If the stock is literally out there for shops to break dates/go early and put them out, how can they be delayed?

They keep trying for a single worldwide release date. So even though we have product in the US, Europe may not yet, Asia/Oceania probably had their product ages ago. 

On 1/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, Mep said:

What's with all the Barnes and Noble hate? Do people really think there are more book stores than game stores these days? I doubt B&N use the same distributor all the game stores have to use, so when B&N gets the product in their own distribution system, they get out. This is FFG's fault for sending them out early.

Barnes and Noble hate is coming from their attempts to canibalize whats left of the nerd culture economy.   Comic shops are dying, record stores are gone, all the Cons are being gobled up by investment capital groups, FLGS are competing with the internet, art stores are closing, toy shops basically died... and now Barnes and Noble is trying to take a slice of each of those limited remaining markets and become and become the Nerd Walmart.

I have personally like B&N over the years, but I dont like their sales strategy. I want a book store not walmart reskinned with Panera bread collors

29 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Barnes and Noble hate is coming from their attempts to canibalize whats left of the nerd culture economy.   Comic shops are dying, record stores are gone, all the Cons are being gobled up by investment capital groups, FLGS are competing with the internet, art stores are closing, toy shops basically died... and now Barnes and Noble is trying to take a slice of each of those limited remaining markets and become and become the Nerd Walmart.

I have personally like B&N over the years, but I dont like their sales strategy. I want a book store not walmart reskinned with Panera bread collors

I've never got the *** crack, horrid smell walmart vibe when going into a B&N. The nerd culture economy has never been bigger. Yeah, retail stores across the board have been hit hard due to the internet, book stores especially, but that has been going on for a full generation. A game store can't rely on retail sales and expect to stay in business. That ship sailed 20 years ago. I only know of X-Wing because I saw them in a B&N. I doubt I am the only one. B&N advertising the game with their shelf space is only a positive for the game. The early release is "something" but lets face it, B&N didn't get enough product to satisfy all of the demand. No need for the hate.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

I've never got the *** crack, horrid smell walmart vibe when going into a B&N. The nerd culture economy has never been bigger. Yeah, retail stores across the board have been hit hard due to the internet, book stores especially, but that has been going on for a full generation. A game store can't rely on retail sales and expect to stay in business. That ship sailed 20 years ago. I only know of X-Wing because I saw them in a B&N. I doubt I am the only one. B&N advertising the game with their shelf space is only a positive for the game. The early release is "something" but lets face it, B&N didn't get enough product to satisfy all of the demand. No need for the hate.

I mean, some can. It is just far, far too many game and comic shops are opened by people without a head for business. A store that looks down at Magic and Pokemon deserves to go out of business. I have been going to my main store for nearly 2 decades now. It has been interesting to see how it grew and changed. 

Here is a  idea: have the community share ideas for repaints, have FFG select the (4?) finalist and then have the community vote for the best; then preorder online and have a production run based on those numbers.

12 hours ago, Sithborg said:

I mean, some can. It is just far, far too many game and comic shops are opened by people without a head for business. A store that looks down at Magic and Pokemon deserves to go out of business. I have been going to my main store for nearly 2 decades now. It has been interesting to see how it grew and changed. 

Keep in mind most of the money made for stores on Magic and Pokemon are singles. Stores make what, $15 a box for Magic. Even if they moved a 100 boxes a month, they'll just cover rent. They are more pawn shops than retail stores for those products. The rest, yes, they can make a good number of sales on the retail side, but they also have product that sits on the shelf and never moves and eventually they take a loss on. Unless it is a money laundry front, it's real hard to make it as a retail store. Even retail stores run by people with a head for business and a strong brand behind them tend to do not well. B&N isn't going to tank any small retail store on their own. The fact that B&N hasn't tanked is remarkable.

Curious: With the growth of massive businesses conglomerating/cannibalizing the "nerd industry," I wonder what would be the viability of a business that funds/supports local and independent LGSs across the country, holds them to certain brand standards (simple stuff like cleanliness, customer service, etc) but fostered a better sense of camaraderie between those that participate. With economies of scale it could even allow stuff like local pickup of out-of-print items only in stock in some random FLGS in Alaska, better fulfillment services for certain order types, better quality assurance of what to expect when visiting a FLGS in another town etc., while still offering stocking, scheduling, and focus-area autonomy to the local game stores, and (yet more importantly) keeping them afloat during these interesting economic times...

Like FLGS.com or something. Just a dumb idea.