AshesFall

From a rules standpoint: Best way to pose AT-ST?

I'm building my AT-ST, and my my working the way it does I got to wondering, what would be the best way to pose it, from a rules standpoint? I'll probably pose it the way that looks coolest regardless, but I'm curious. 

It definitely has the option of standing way, way tall. Or crouched real low (for an AT-ST). The former would leave it able to draw a lot more LoS over cover, buildings and the like, while of course being functionally impossible to put into cover itself. What would you prefer? Whats the "best"?

Edit: For clarity. Without any additions to the base, I.e. no rocks, platforms or such, the top centre LoS point of the model can vary as much as between 13 and 25cm. :)

Edited by AshesFall

With the way the LoS works its going to be a wash either way. Taller models see over more terrain but are also more easily seen by other units.

It also depends on how you plan to run it. Just becuse you can see the top of a few trooper heads over a building doesnt mean they are worth shooting at in heavy cover. I like to run the grenade launcher on my AT-ST and luckily I happened to pose mine on the taller side of the typical field stance so it helps in dense urban boards.

So, the best way to do it is to retain the flexibility of the joints, and adjust to build and board? is that even legal? (I will make it legal :P). I mean, is it stated anywhere that you must glue your mini to a fixed position? Really just spitballing here, these little kinks in otherwise solid rule-sets interests me. Well, we all have our odd hobbies I guess. :D

I would say the more advantageous is too make it as tall you can as it won't get cover that often anyway, but the taller it is the more cover it can ignore.

Otherwise I would do the one that looks best.

47 minutes ago, AshesFall said:

So, the best way to do it is to retain the flexibility of the joints, and adjust to build and board? is that even legal? (I will make it legal :P). I mean, is it stated anywhere that you must glue your mini to a fixed position? Really just spitballing here, these little kinks in otherwise solid rule-sets interests me. Well, we all have our odd hobbies I guess. :D

I think that would fall under the "component modification" section of the tournament rules: 

"• Players cannot modify minis or use bases to significantly alter their size, height, or shape. The marshal is responsible for determining the legality of any miniature modifications. Players that have made more than minor alterations should check with the marshal before an event to determine if their mini or official terrain is legal. "

As such, a TO could require you to replace the model with one that is not "modified," or to set the pose at the begining of the tournament and not change it again. If you couldn't guarantee the model wouldn't change height in the course of a game (due to settling or handling) then if I were the TO I'd make you put it at the lowest height, since that would likely be the easiest pose to maintain. 

Additionally, the Learn to Play booklet (which is part of the rules as many of us forget from time to time) has the following in the assembly diagram: "Players must use glue to attach the miniatures to their bases, 
and attach some parts together securely." I will admit it doesn't specify "all parts," but gluing is in the rules. 

You're probably going to eke out the most advantage from building it as tall/high as legally possible.  I say this with the presumption that you will rarely see terrain that is big enough to block los completely, and you will (less rarely) have terrain that is large enough to give it cover (when you consider all possible shooting angles and such).

On the other hand, a couple more mm of height *may* give you just the advantage you need to see troopers you otherwise could not, or (because of the angle) deny cover of some sort.  I hasten to add that the advantage if any, will be (and I truly mean) marginal at best.

This is all assuming that whatever build margin you are entertaining is within the legal rules. Under no circumstance am I advising you to "model for advantage".

In any case, I recommend magnetizing the head to make transportation easier. 

From a rules standpoint, this should have been posted in the rules forum. 

Assemble the posture however you like. If you do not modify the model you are perfectly within the rules. 

So, from a rules standpoint you CAN pose it like a meerkat, but it makes you a jerk.  

I for one won’t play against someone who has posed their at-st like that, as if they are willing to do that for a ‘bonus’ then the amount of other minutiae and “by the rules” lawyering they do probably makes them a JOY to play against.    

7 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

So, from a rules standpoint you CAN pose it like a meerkat, but it makes you a jerk.  

I for one won’t play against someone who has posed their at-st like that, as if they are willing to do that for a ‘bonus’ then the amount of other minutiae and “by the rules” lawyering they do probably makes them a JOY to play against.    

I guess you could see it like that. :)

Seems a little categorical though. I mean, if you can pose it "crouched to pounce" then you should probably also be allowed to pose it "stretched to shoot at height". It's obviously a versatile machine lore-wise, made to adapt as it moves to situations and environments. Just because the momentary snapshot in time that is the pose of the model doesnt confirm to your view of "cool" doesnt mean its wrong. Not saying I dont agree with you at all, just a bit thoughtful about where to draw the line. 5 cm lower than max? 3? Or is the limit where someone subjectively thinks it looks "cool" or "ok"? Isnt that a strange thing to impose on someone? Not trolling, genuinely thinking about perspective, judging others by category, and ones own preferences. 

I think what someone said before here is pretty relevant, if it's posed that high it's never getting cover either. You'll be able to see and shoot it as much as it can see and shoot you. Anyways. 

3 hours ago, AshesFall said:

I guess you could see it like that. :)

Seems a little categorical though. I mean, if you can pose it "crouched to pounce" then you should probably also be allowed to pose it "stretched to shoot at height". It's obviously a versatile machine lore-wise, made to adapt as it moves to situations and environments. Just because the momentary snapshot in time that is the pose of the model doesnt confirm to your view of "cool" doesnt mean its wrong. Not saying I dont agree with you at all, just a bit thoughtful about where to draw the line. 5 cm lower than max? 3? Or is the limit where someone subjectively thinks it looks "cool" or "ok"? Isnt that a strange thing to impose on someone? Not trolling, genuinely thinking about perspective, judging others by category, and ones own preferences. 

I think what someone said before here is pretty relevant, if it's posed that high it's never getting cover either. You'll be able to see and shoot it as much as it can see and shoot you. Anyways. 

I'm not talking about a slight height difference, of say the model posed in mid stride, but of someone posing the model with completely straight legs to make it not only, at a maximum possible height, as well as not being something that is ever seen anywhere.