Sign in to follow this  
Big k

Rebel Skirmish Dilemma

Ok so my dilemma is for a skirmish event do I run Luke or Han and Chewie?

I have every single Rebel unit/expansion to the point I can run anything ( 5000 points worth of Rebels ).  So I can run whatever compliments either choice.  

What are peoples thoughts?

If your community is more Imperial/Republic, go for Han and Chewie. They eat through those red dice like it's going out of style :D Also, Han's Change of Plans and Sorry About The Mess cards are top notch in close-quarters games of skirmish. Also, they are two, so the opponent has to split attention or let one of them roam free.

Luke is more versatile, and depending on your approach to enemy lightsaber users, might be a better option. If, when looking at Vader, you think "how do I defeat him" rather then "how can I play in a way that he does not catch me before turn 3", then Luke might be the way to go. The same goes for any armored enemies. Han might surge to crit, and Chewbacca might have Impact 1 on top of it, but they're no vehicle killers :P

I personally like to go with either Leia-Chewie and trooper spam or Han-Sabine and some troops (Gunslinger Galore) :D

Edited by Shanturin

I haven’t played Skirmish, so my ideas here are not worth much.  I think Han and Chewie together is a lot of fun, but they are expensive to run together - more expensive than running Luke, even though he’s the costliest rebel commander.  So if you are planning to run expensive rebel units I would take Luke (Rebel Veterans, Wookiee’s, Tauntauns), and cheaper units (Troopers) then I would go with Han and Chewie.

Han and Chewie are fun together and I think can work in skirmish, eventually. My fear for Han would be that he gets into close combat and just dies.  He is fairly fragile even with Chewie close by but the smaller scale of gameboard and the deployment often means that enemy units can traverse the entire board and get into close combat or shooting range turn 1 or 2 always. So Han doesn't have time to do as much damage and can sometimes be a liability.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, buckero0 said:

Han and Chewie are fun together and I think can work in skirmish, eventually. My fear for Han would be that he gets into close combat and just dies.  He is fairly fragile even with Chewie close by but the smaller scale of gameboard and the deployment often means that enemy units can traverse the entire board and get into close combat or shooting range turn 1 or 2 always. So Han doesn't have time to do as much damage and can sometimes be a liability.

Han is range 2, so he's almost always outranged. The issue is getting him into range, not other stuff getting into range of him, and Skirmish makes that easy. You do have to watch out for melee (he's the second worst melee fighter in the game after Krennic), but that's always a concern. you need to use terrain to make it harder for them to sprint up and engage him. Barricades are difficult terrain when crossing them so those are usually good choices.

what's good for  the goose is good for the gander.

Most melee figures don't have that much trouble with terrain.  In skirmish, it's even easier. Han can do some damage but when in melee he's a liability.  My skirmish games so far have all been very "Hero-centric" 

Vader, Dooku, Luke,Obiwan, Grievous, even Sabine are all scary for Han to have to deal with.  Frankly a unit of any corps unit could shut Han down (battle droids in melee with Han, think about that) and he can at best kill 2 figures from 2 different units, but usually if there is decent terrain he is going to kill .75 figure from 2 units.  He costs way more than most corps units too.