Sign in to follow this  
Boromir

AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY - THE SHORES OF HELL II

First I would like to introduce my marine team. The green marine has super skills and the other two has pretty decent skills. This is probably my best marine team ever.
Green marine (killer instinct, efficient killer and lean and mean)
Red marine (Alert, Prepared and Officer)
Blue marine (lithe, tactician and careful)

The first level of the base campaign (Knee Deep in the Dead) I finished with 5 frags. Until the room with the BFG I had only 2 frags, but I got into a rough spot in the final room. The BFG and my remaining plasma cell was divided over two marines. The game was exilerating until the end. The final attack of the invader player was deciding if I would win or lose. A great game. I finished the level with. 12 Ammo, 3 grenades and 2 plasma cells and all the marines were almost healed.

And now comes the unbelievable Part.....
We started the second level of the base campaign (The Shores of Hell). The green marine took out the demon and zombie commander in the first room and the red marine took out the other zombie commander, while the blue marine went and waited with an AIM order before the right door. My marines gathered all the equipment in the room, while the blue marine killed almost everything within the right room with 1 BFG shot, no ammo loss and a guard order for the last zombie commander. In the mean time the other two marine lined up for the next room. Due to darkness in the room this was the pretty tough. But after 1 turn the room was almost completely leveled, especially the blue marine with lithe came in handy. There were only two minor monsters left in the room. One memorable attack was that the blue marine took out an maggot on 3 range with an grenade, the attack was not aimed and there was no ammo loss.

After this the marines went to the upper right room. The red Marine tried to take out the two demons with a grenade, but it was jammed, so he shot the bazooka, result 1 wound each. Subsequently the Green marine took out the two demon with one chaingun attack (blow-through) and with the next attack (due to killer instinct) two zombie commanders. To naturalize the thread the blue marine went to the duct and took out another zombie commander and put an dodge token on the green marine (lean and mean). The invader player decided that his best option would be to attack the green marine (the other marines were blocked), but died due to the watchful ability of the green marine. Otherwise the maggot would have died the next turn.

The marines tried there way back trough the room with darkness, and the invader managed to kill the red marine with first an earthquake and a spawn card of 3. I could have prevented that, but I thought the prepared tokens come in more handy later on in the game. In no time I had slaughtered the remaining invaders and went across the room with darkness. In the next room the two mancubus were dead before they could be activated (another memorable attack: the red marine took out and macubus with a grenade on 4 range) and my marines stayed nicely out of range of the hellkight. The next turn the hellkight was a prey of the green marine, he killed a tride and did one wound to the hell kight with his first attack (chain-saw) and with his next shotgun blast (due to killer instinct) he killed the hell kinght. It took little time gather all the resources and we went to the room with the red key. The red marine took out 2 cherubs and received a guard order, the green marine tried to take out an archville, but the invader player dodged, to finish it off the blue marine came trough the duct and took out the other two cherubs and placed an guard order on the green marine. It was simple for the green marine to take out the wounded archville, it was more of an challege for the red marine. The archville wanted to attack the red marine on 7 range, but with an aimed interrupted attack I managed to kill the archville without ammo loss. The remaining hellkight would like to fire a soul fire but I cancelled that with prepared token, and the third archville did minor damage, they both died in the next turn. At this point the invader player shake my hand and congratulated me with my victory. To finish, we did an experiment. He put down a cyberdemon and attack my marines, it resulted in a minor 2 damage to the green marine, the red marine attack back, result 1 wound, than the green marine attack with the chaingun, resulting in 1 wound with every blow-through attack. So 3 additional wounds which killed the cyberdemon with 1 marine to spare.

To summ it up, the invader player threw a miss result about 30 time through the level and I only about 5 times. Talk about luck. The only ammo that I lost trough-out the level was 1 grenade, and that was the time the invader player wanted to dud my grenade. I have never played a doom session were the marines have so dominated the invader player. Have any of you on the forum similar experiences, or was the greatest game ever for the marines?????

I was the invader player in the above game. Before anybody goes saying I must be an inept invader player, let me first say, that I had won the first three tries of scenario one, and i completely killed of the marines in two earlier tries of the shores of hell (though with other players).

It was just an incredible strange match. The marines without efficient killer just never missed or throwed any ammo icons. The entire freaking game. While I was actually unable to do damage at all. Even if I got the chance to do damage, the throws were pitiful, with a lot of misses, and low damage throws all round. the tactics of the marine team worked perfectly. Usually a new room filled with dangerous invaders, most invaders would be dead before I got a chance. I have never been this dominated by a marine team in all my games of an invader ( and i have lost count of how many games I played)...

The shores of hell was a walk in the park for this marine team! Aboslutely brilliant match with a great marine team and good marine tactics, and all the luck on the marine side. I wished I had used the original invader deck for this one ;)

Luck does play a role in this game.  It sounds like you both knew what you were doing, but the dice were favouring the marines more than statistics might suggest.  I don't think I've had such a game of Doom, but I've certainly seen similar things happen in Descent.  It just goes to show you that statistical expected results are, at the end of the day, just a theory.  An actual (finite) series of dice rolls can yield very different results sometimes.

I played my first game yesterday and on Knee Deep in the Dead I sprinted and picked up the chainsaw and machine gun opened the door and the invader player played charge and had spawned a demon behind us out of sight. He moved the three zombies and nailed me for three wounds three times in a row. Fragging me right off the bat!