theBitterFig

This Counts as "There is a Reason for Hyperspace to Exist," Right?

Posted (edited)

It might be too early to say, but my biggest concern at the moment is that what people are saying is and is not Hyperspace legal feels arbitrary.

In Magic, it's fairly simple, if not easy, to know what's legal or not in the main formats. It's usually just a matter of, 'has this come out/been re-released after X point'.

If the legality is entirely based on what they do or don't want to be meta, however, it's going to be hard to plan ahead. At the very least, you'd have to be building your squad through an app rather than your collection or memory unless you want to constantly run into 'wait, that's not legal?'

Edited by Jokubas

2 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

It might be too early to say, but my biggest concern at the moment is that what people are saying is and is not Hyperspace legal feels arbitrary.

In Magic, it's fairly simple, if not easy, to know what's legal or not in the main formats. It's usually just a matter of, 'has this come out/been re-released after X point'.

If the legality is entirely based on what they do or don't want to be meta, however, it's going to be hard to plan ahead. At the very least, you'd have to be building your squad through an app rather than your collection or memory unless you want to constantly run into 'wait, that's not legal?'

Kind of makes you think they're pushing for official app use in order to keep track of it all, eh ;)

Yeah, as I wrote that I definitely felt that... I guess it's not too bad if they actually have that set up. On the other hand, I still think it'll be super awkward to list build, because I know I'd run into situations where I'd have planned for something, then not be able to figure out why the app isn't showing it, only to realize later that it's because the format changed from last time I checked, and not because there was a bug in the app or something.

14 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

My head is still spinning.

There's a lot of stuff going on with which upgrades are and are not legal.

It's definitely the sort of thing to chase away vaguely-casual-with-slight-tournament-interest players.

Looking at that list and trying to figure out what is what...then I look over at the quick build cards that I can just pull from the deck and play a game...and I wonder...'is tournament worth the headache?'

54 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

I mean, there is certainly some clear logic in instances. When it is a single pilot or upgrade out of a group of otherwise Hyperspace Legal ships. I do worry about the larger factions if rereleases are on hold for the moment, though. 

32 minutes ago, xanderf said:

It's definitely the sort of thing to chase away vaguely-casual-with-slight-tournament-interest players.

Looking at that list and trying to figure out what is what...then I look over at the quick build cards that I can just pull from the deck and play a game...and I wonder...'is tournament worth the headache?'

I think that's why they changed it so the only notable hyperspace tournaments are system opens. Which it's fine if the tournaments are more unique.

1 minute ago, reqent said:

I think that's why they changed it so the only notable hyperspace tournaments are system opens. Which it's fine if the tournaments are more unique.

I think I did miss that.

So store and regional ("prime", whatever) championships are...what, extended format?  That's...an interesting choice, if so.  Guess they felt the hurt from retailers having difficulty getting rid of their last 1e inventory??

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, reqent said:

It was in the latest organized play article.  

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/27/2020-roadmap-for-star-wars-x-wing-organized-play/ This one?

It says the first store champs are hyperspace. Second store champs are a choice. Coruscant Inv as well is HS.

The first Store Championship season in 2020 will also be using Hyperspace Game Mode. 

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

2 hours ago, xanderf said:

I’m not interested in tournaments anyway.  I tried it and found the bigger (non-local) events too competitive and  warhammerish.  I have the amazing epic battles and extended formats.  If I want to restrict ship lists I build thematic, not some meta/arbitrarily determined Hyperspace list.  This is fine by me different strands of the game pleases everyone.  Well done FFG!

7 hours ago, xanderf said:

Well, not if the app worked as advertised.

In MTG terms, think of Hyperspace as sealed deck--you really don't know what the components are until you've opened the app.  If the app is always correct, you can only build with what is shown.

If the app works well, then it's not really a big deal for the "tourney-lite" crowd.

Edited by Darth Meanie

So it seemed there was a "dart throwing" method to the hyperspace selection, but any which way, this is limiting and that's VERY GOOD. It's actually going to be a very different meta from the Extended format. It's REALLY different and weird. After building squads and thinking about the meta that will likely develop, I think I'm very in on hyperspace again. 

7 hours ago, RStan said:

So it seemed there was a "dart throwing" method to the hyperspace selection, but any which way, this is limiting and that's VERY GOOD. It's actually going to be a very different meta from the Extended format. It's REALLY different and weird. After building squads and thinking about the meta that will likely develop, I think I'm very in on hyperspace again. 

I had the same reaction. 

Talent slots got a whole lot less valuable in hyperspace, with crack shot, predator, and trick shot gone. So on the offense side of things it's Outmaneuver and Snap Shot... (Scum has Fearless). I guess we're supposed to lean more on faction talents. On the defensive side Elusive and Lone Wolf are gone.

Edited by Cerebrawl

17 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

Talent slots got a whole lot less valuable in hyperspace, with crack shot, predator, and trick shot gone. So on the offense side of things it's Outmaneuver and Snap Shot... (Scum has Fearless). I guess we're supposed to lean more on faction talents. On the defensive side Elusive and Lone Wolf are gone.

Pretty much any talent that modified dice is out of the HS format.  The major exceptions being Intimidation and Outmaneuver.

23 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

I wish at least one cheap talent survived.  Nerfed Composure?  Marksmanship?  Doesn't have to be a good one, but just *something* that costs less than 3 points.

I'm also lowkey sad to see Cluster Missiles go away.

3 minutes ago, Merrick_H said:

Pretty much any talent that modified dice is out of the HS format.  The major exceptions being Intimidation and Outmaneuver.

That seems quite the opposite of "dart throwing." That seems a very particular choice for the games. A deliberate choice to increase the variance of the format. 

As far as list building goes... yasb2.0 was updated within hours of point drop and has a hyperspace legal filter.

I am excited because the smaller pool, although limiting options, will allow the more competitive player base focus on 'A' while the beer and pretzels game with a larger pool of janky combo's is  also at hand.  Dying to get some epic games in and explore the now more limited hyperspace format.  Also the push to decrease the cost of generics.

Soontir with DD and 4x sabers....

4 TIE /INs and 3x sabers...  (the thematics)

FIVE T-65's!

Generic E-wings with R4 are amazing knife fighters

3 blue T-65's, horton with a torp, and a phoenix A-Wing

Vader and 6x TIE /INs

Boba, Fenn and filler

Edited by Cr0aker

I think there is some dart boarding decisions, but they probably looked at what everyone was flying and removed those.  When I see which pilots got yanked (and others left) it seems to be the ones everyone took. 

I cringe at some of it.  Only 2 missiles allowed???? Only 1 Turret?  Scum has been reduced to 5 ships!!!!   I like many changes, but some seem pretty extreme.  I guess this is one way to force people to try Scyks....or will we just see Fang Fighters?