Jump to content
Cloaker

POINTS ARE UP

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

I've been playing Republic exclusively since they were released, mostly casually but still. What is it about "Odd Ball"that I am missing for his points to be so high? It doesn't matter which chassis either.  I can see how he would be useful as a Wing Leader in Epic, but in standard play? Can someone enlighten me as to what it is about his ability that I'm missing?

I have a tough time getting anything out of his ability on any chassis even with the sync. console. Generally free mods are priced high and given that he can pass the lock to a Jedi with passive mods it doesn't seem strange. He isn't even very good at being "acey."

He is going down in the ARC and the V-19 but will still be tough to use since he is tough to consistently give red actions too between the medium base barrel roll and the V-19 dial. 

I want him to feel like a legit choice for a list but he never does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I have a tough time getting anything out of his ability on any chassis even with the sync. console. Generally free mods are priced high and given that he can pass the lock to a Jedi with passive mods it doesn't seem strange. He isn't even very good at being "acey."

He is going down in the ARC and the V-19 but will still be tough to use since he is tough to consistently give red actions too between the medium base barrel roll and the V-19 dial. 

I want him to feel like a legit choice for a list but he never does. 

Glad it isn't just me. Thinking of trying him in a V-19 "mini swarm" with synched consoles and homing missiles. Throwing in "Kickback" for another TL generator and a few Blue Squadron Protectors. Figure the semi-guaranteed damage is better than nothing with only a 2-die attack.

Like you I really want to be able to use him in a list but I can't understand why the devs think he is worth as many points as he is. He may be I5 but is he really 7 points better than an I3 generic or 9 better than an I2 generic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proton Rocket Oddball in the Torrent is fun, if you have Plo there to pass the focus he needs over. Not very difficult to BR (lining up the bullseye), evade, lock, and then receive a focus. Hits pretty hard at I5 and can be an annoyance afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Koing907 said:

Which ships would they choose to rotate in and out, and why?

They took the most popular ships and pilots and got rid of them.  This is especially the case when specific pilots wereremoved, but not others.  The point is to force people to change what they usually fly and try something very different.   

16 hours ago, Estarriol said:

Well, well done FFG. You’ve basically murdered everything I liked playing in hyperspace. I mean, what the ****? 

See above.

10 hours ago, S4ul0 said:

It's different but not for all factions. Scum, FO and probably Rebels have their best archetypes in both modes.

Imperial or Republic are very limited.

Errr....Scum can only use 5 ship types.  That is Firespray, Jumpmaster, Scyk, Fang Fighter, and Mining Tie (minus one).  How is it that their best archetypes are still there? Besides Fang Fighter and Firespray, does anyone fly those ships at events? 

===

Personally, it makes me rather interested in trying it.  Less if the same old, same old crap I'm used to seeing and more odd stuff that I never see on the table.  I like that.

===

Why do people say Imps are screwed?  They have the X1, Tie Fighters (minus the same ones you see too much), and Tie Strikers.

Personally, it looks like Rebels will be strong with some solid ships: XYBA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Why do people say Imps are screwed?  They have the X1, Tie Fighters (minus the same ones you see too much), and Tie Strikers.

They did lose a lot.  Soontir, Grand Inquisitor, plus Vader's most important upgrade in Afterburners. The style of triple ace list that Imps could play, they can't really do anymore.  I don't think that automatically means screwed, but it means they'll have to sit down and think hard about what to put in their lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Isn't this pretty much the case with every faction in Hyperspace now?  They'll have to try something different?

Yea, Rebels lost Wedge, Republic lost Delta7, etc.  Everyone lost a lot of core ships/pilots/upgrades.  But Imps kept Vader, losing only his afterburners.  He'll have to fly with different buddies, but seriously, that man needs to get out there and make new friends.

I really like the idea of an exotic meta that isn't just a subset of the larger meta.  If you have to do something different then that means you get to do something different.  The meta can be strangling, trapping you into playing the same stuff all the time.  The new Hyperspace says "hey try this meta out, it's very different from what you've been playing".

People are reeling from the shock of the changes and loss, but I suspect a lot of people will enjoy Hyperspace being a breath of fresh air.  Especially since now we know it can keep changing and creating a fresh challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

They took the most popular ships and pilots and got rid of them.  This is especially the case when specific pilots wereremoved, but not others.  The point is to force people to change what they usually fly and try something very different.   

 

No they didn't.  They removed Old Teroch and Seevor, who were hardly 'most popular', and they left Boba Fett and Fenn Rau, who were high ranking (for scum) last I checked on listfortress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Isn't this pretty much the case with every faction in Hyperspace now?  They'll have to try something different?

Yes and no.  I think Imps got further away from what they used to be, by and large.

  • Scum is fine.  Fangs and Boba were probably their best two ships, and I think newly buffed Scyks are going to be better than folks think.  Starviper loss isn't great, but Skull going down to 47 for 50 point Fearless Init 4, or 41 point Zealous Recruits are huge buffs.
  • Rebels lost U-Wings, but the lists are probably mostly similar.
  • Resistance is mostly the same, except without Rey variants.
  • First Order lost Tavson and QD, but again, the heart of a lot of what they did can remain, and they've got new strong aces coming in to fill some of that gap.
    • Hrm.  More I think about it, I'm actually worried for First Order.  They used to have lowkey some of the best efficient generics.  Those stayed about the same, while everything else kinda got cheaper.  5 Optics Omega SF seems a lot less special when 5 T-65 is available.
  • CIS have to shift around the Sear slot (maybe a Probe Droids Hyena?), but a swarm of vultures is going to be fairly similar.
  • Republic has a few basic archetypes which remain.  3 ARC + Obi works, or Obi/Plo/Ric, if you're willing to go CLT.  It's not quite the same, but it's still going to be fairly familiar, with everything except Sinker Swarm.
  • Imperials...
    • TIE Swarm changes a lot without Howlrunner.  Fly looser?
    • Vader lost Boost, which changes greatly how he can fly.
    • Duchess is the only truly mobile ace now.
    • Everything is just so much more unfamiliar than other factions.

Just feels like there's a lot more figuring out that Imperials will have to do, a lot less familiar stuff to lean back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

They took the most popular ships and pilots and got rid of them.  This is especially the case when specific pilots wereremoved, but not others.  The point is to force people to change what they usually fly and try something very different.   

See above.

Errr....Scum can only use 5 ship types.  That is Firespray, Jumpmaster, Scyk, Fang Fighter, and Mining Tie (minus one).  How is it that their best archetypes are still there? Besides Fang Fighter and Firespray, does anyone fly those ships at events? 

===

Personally, it makes me rather interested in trying it.  Less if the same old, same old crap I'm used to seeing and more odd stuff that I never see on the table.  I like that.

===

Why do people say Imps are screwed?  They have the X1, Tie Fighters (minus the same ones you see too much), and Tie Strikers.

Personally, it looks like Rebels will be strong with some solid ships: XYBA

I mean, I have varied lists I fly. My trouble is all of them are no longer hyperspace legal, as in not even the things I’ve dreamed up to try ‘at some point’. And I’ve got the biggest annual tournament of the year in the world coming up (well, for the past 2 years running anyway). At least everyone is in the same boat. I mean, I’m up for a challenge as much as the next player, but four weeks to anticipate and create a list to face an entirely new meta with probably only one or two games nights available and using ships I haven’t flown much Recently  is stretching my capabilities...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

They did lose a lot.  Soontir, Grand Inquisitor, plus Vader's most important upgrade in Afterburners. The style of triple ace list that Imps could play, they can't really do anymore.  I don't think that automatically means screwed, but it means they'll have to sit down and think hard about what to put in their lists.

Yes, they did lose the main archetype for their faction, but....that's not the entire faction.   Of course, that could be all a good section ever want to fly, but it makes me happy that they are forced to try something new.

23 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

No they didn't.  They removed Old Teroch and Seevor, who were hardly 'most popular', and they left Boba Fett and Fenn Rau, who were high ranking (for scum) last I checked on listfortress.

I've heard from a number of people about Old Teroch being popular.  Oh, not crazy popular, but it's not like he was nobody.  Seevor has really annoyed people by being gone.  I hear things like he's the only good one to take. This at least makes people try something new.

19 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

 

  • Imperials...
    • TIE Swarm changes a lot without Howlrunner.  Fly looser?
    • Vader lost Boost, which changes greatly how he can fly.
    • Duchess is the only truly mobile ace now.
    • Everything is just so much more unfamiliar than other factions.

Just feels like there's a lot more figuring out that Imperials will have to do, a lot less familiar stuff to lean back on.

I think mid level or low level Tie Advanced is an area for people to check out.  I consider them similar to X-wings.  A little less mobile, but they pack more bunch (if they can get the TL on).  Always go with FCS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I think mid level or low level Tie Advanced is an area for people to check out.  I consider them similar to X-wings.  A little less mobile, but they pack more bunch (if they can get the TL on).  Always go with FCS.  

I've found good success with Passive Sensors on the TIE Advanced, be it Vader or another named pilots, or just the scrubs.  Given how strong their incentive to lock is, it's often a very valuable way to guarantee the lock.  And though Vader doesn't suffer from the initiative problems of locking, he's able to abuse PS like crazy.  I think that's going to factor into the meta, but I can't say for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I've heard from a number of people about Old Teroch being popular.  Oh, not crazy popular, but it's not like he was nobody.  Seevor has really annoyed people by being gone.  I hear things like he's the only good one to take. This at least makes people try something new.

My point is, there are examples of less popular pilots being removed, and more poular pilots remaining. So clearly not all changes were to force people to fly less popular pilots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Yes, they did lose the main archetype for their faction, but....that's not the entire faction.   Of course, that could be all a good section ever want to fly, but it makes me happy that they are forced to try something new.

I think mid level or low level Tie Advanced is an area for people to check out.  I consider them similar to X-wings.  A little less mobile, but they pack more bunch (if they can get the TL on).  Always go with FCS.  

No lies.

I just think it's a bigger change for Imp mains than other folks, and while I don't think it's doom and gloom, I understand where the Confused-Reacts are coming from.

I'd been trying out TIE Advanced with Howlrunner, of all things.  Only a game or two, a few months back, but it was a neat thing to try out.  36 points is really pushing their limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of just being a format where prequel/sequel factions 4/7 are exactly the same and only OT factions are slightly restricted, Hyperspace is actually distinct and unique from Extended now. It actually serves a purpose and offers a sanctuary for when people want a break from the Extended meta. Now if you get sick of fighting 7B regen Jedi or Cassian Beef or whatever meta boogie man is in extended, theres a good chance you won't have to deal with it in hyperspace anymore. And vice versa for going from hyperspace to extended.

The people that say they hate hyperspace now, that just means they should be playing extended. Hyperspace and extended are now the thing that the hyperspace supporters were claiming them to be, distinct formats with different power levels.

Edited by Tvboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

Glad it isn't just me. Thinking of trying him in a V-19 "mini swarm" with synched consoles and homing missiles. Throwing in "Kickback" for another TL generator and a few Blue Squadron Protectors. Figure the semi-guaranteed damage is better than nothing with only a 2-die attack.

Like you I really want to be able to use him in a list but I can't understand why the devs think he is worth as many points as he is. He may be I5 but is he really 7 points better than an I3 generic or 9 better than an I2 generic?

Oddball has garbage cost levels. I don't know why they keep doing it either. 

It would be fun to have that high I5 pilot on a bunch of non-acey ships. Torrent and Arc as a semi-ace?? Its like a semi-truck with a pro driver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Overpowered. 

 

(Well, actually, Kanan and the VCX more likely. UGH. I do not appreciate the VCX design in the grand scheme of the game) 

Please point me in the direction of good Hera/Ghost players cause whenever I fly it the thing just blows up. Would love to get some tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Please point me in the direction of good Hera/Ghost players cause whenever I fly it the thing just blows up. Would love to get some tips.

In context of the conversation it’s a bit of a jest.

 

Also try two generics + turret and VTg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...