Andreievitch

What will be the future of Genesys?

12 hours ago, Terefang said:

maybe its time to release the genesys system as OGL ?

FFG wouldn't do that. OGL (or, better, Creative Commons) means they would have no control over it anymore. It'd be open and usable by all. They lose the Foundry and the only place to sell Genesys materials, which means they lose that revenue stream.

Unless someone came along and bought Genesys from FFG, it's never going to be released under a free license. It's a bad business move for them.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, Seam said:

Dawn of Defiance was converted to FFG's Star Wars rules???

Sorry for the off topic question.

No, no conversion, just that the story as-written had potentia, but needed of overhauling and streamlining.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:37 AM, Terefang said:

maybe its time to release the genesys system as OGL ?

From FFG perspective, going OGL is just like Foundry, but they don't get their cut.

From our perspective, Foundry is almost like OGL*, but FFG gets their cut.

It stands to reason that maintaining the Foundry is the optimal choice for all parties.

*A true open license would give us more freedom than Foundry does, but we can still make virtually unlimited products within the confines of the Foundry, so it's arguably close enough for practical purposes.

I actually like the concept of the Foundry. It may inspire more fans to work on putting their house rules and other materials out there when they can make a small amount of money off of it. I've gobbled up several things already at $1-$3 each.

I agree that the Foundry is one of their better ideas.  I was scratching my head at the announcement originally, but now that I can see it in action I can appreciate the power of it. 

Doubt that would happen (going ogl). But there are still many works in the pipeline for the Foundry by different writers. Myself included...and we talk to each other a LOT. More than you'd imagine.

Edited by IamGazrok

Her work previously with FFG was stellar.  I'm beyond excited that she's returning and in a greater role.  What that means for Genesys I'm not sure, but for L5R this is big news since she was at the epicenter of forming the L5R brand under FFG.  She was also around when they developed Genesys as an RPG developer so I'd assume she has a relationship with this product as well.

13 hours ago, Sturn said:

This could be interpreted a couple ways, but seems encouraging:

I read that as "ongoing until the currently announced products are out" and after that it'll be totally dependent on the sales of the immediately previous product. One bad release and the line will likely die. This means nothing but "primed" releases at best, with a very conservative approach taking few chances (and thus showing minimal originality) being likely.

I'm surprised we haven't yet heard who the new studio head is for FFG now that Andrew is gone.  I guess I just sort of expected that to be an article by now considering how public facing both Christian and Andrew were when they were in charge.

On the bright side, at least Sam, Alexis Dykema, and Tims Cox and Huckelbery  are freed up for some freelance work:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gamernation/permalink/10158086570432369/

Unfortunately, I cannot copy the original text since it would break the rules for the forums (direct advertising).