Andreievitch

What will be the future of Genesys?

Posted (edited)

Yes, it has been confirmed by plenty of people (no I won't name names, but if you look in the usual spaces you'll see it all) that the entire FFG RPG department has been let go.

What does that mean for the future of FFG RPGs?

No one who can say has said, so we don't know.

Ok, now that that is done. What can we expect? We can expect Keyforge, at this late in the game it'd cost more money to not publish it.

What else can we expect? We can expect the Foundry to keep going strong. There is literally 0 reason for FFG to shut it down: it's 100% profits for them for no work at all. It's a sound business move to leave it alone.

Will there be more Genesys books published? No way to know. They might just want to rely 100% on freelancers, so they only pay when work is getting done (and they don't have to worry about silly things like benefits, paid time off, etc). They might not. Again, WE DON'T KNOW.

Let's keep speculation to a minimum. You can be sure that as we get confirmation of things we will let the community know. In the mean!

Edited by c__beck

43 minutes ago, c__beck said:

We can expect Keyforge, at this late in the game it'd cost more money to not publish it.

That might be optimistic... Cubicle 7 recently and heartbreakingly, despite having a fully developed and saleable product and PDF, put a full and immediate stop on their all-but-printed Adventures in Middle Earth project (Rohan Region Guide) once they lost that license or whatever happened there.

I think: "Nobody can know or assume anything.", is the most that can be said right now about any of it...

Huge bummer. Even if they're "just" shifting their staff to all-contract, I don't know that I can support a company that pulls stuff like this.

I'll follow the developers and content creators, wherever they go. But why show loyalty to company that doesn't show it to their employees?

6 minutes ago, emsquared said:

Huge bummer. Even if they're "just" shifting their staff to all-contract, I don't know that I can support a company that pulls stuff like this.

I'll follow the developers and content creators, wherever they go. But why show loyalty to company that doesn't show it to their employees?

Be prepared to grow your own food and make all of your own goods.

8 minutes ago, emsquared said:

That might be optimistic... Cubicle 7 recently and heartbreakingly, despite having a fully developed and saleable product and PDF, put a full and immediate stop on their all-but-printed Adventures in Middle Earth project (Rohan Region Guide) once they lost that license or whatever happened there.

I think: "Nobody can know or assume anything.", is the most that can be said right now about any of it...

It really depends on whether this is the actions of FFG management, or of their parent entity (Asmodee)...

38 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Be prepared to grow your own food and make all of your own goods.

Oh I'm aware that corporations as a whole are heartless and that such things are standard operating procedure in the wider, mass-market world.

But in the RPG industry, where I'm able to follow and support the work of artists/creators, at the artist/creator-level?

Little different.

This sucks, I’m feeling gutted. Literally 10 years of exclusively playing FFG RPG’s, WFRP, Star Wars, L5R, and Genesys. I never thought it would hit such a speed bump. Gee I hope their fantastic talent ends up working for another company willing to embrace multi axis dice results.

1 hour ago, emsquared said:

This issue with C7 is they lost the license. FFG owns Keyforge, so there is no licensing issues. That's why they've only been doing in-house IPs for Genesys settings.

I started boardgames with Avalon Hill and RPG's with Adv. D&D. For years now, FFG has been my go-to company for BOTH boardgames and RPG's. I think I have around 20 FFG boardgames, and they are pricey. I just bought two more in the last couple of weeks (Rebellion and Outer Rim). I have almost the entire line of Genesys and SW RPG books. I've said over and over I'm never going back to d20. This narrative dice system is by far the best I've ever used and there's a massive wall of RPG books collected through decades in my basement.

Now this?

Optimist: I'm hoping the boardgames aren't affected and the RPG lines stay alive with a small staff plus quality freelancers. Less rate of books perhaps, but it's still alive and the Foundry and forums keep going.

Pessimist: What if Genesys and the SW RPG suddenly end? Will the Foundry be able to continue? If the Foundry is closed, what does that mean for us wanting to produce and possibly even sale stuff on Drivethru? One of my largest worries are these forums. I've seen game forums die in the past and it's sad what is lost. There is a treasure trove of discussions and links to more stuff on these forums.

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

One of my largest worries are these forums. I've seen game forums die in the past and it's sad what is lost.

I hated the engine, but the WotC Star Wars forums was brilliant stuff. They had managed to re-write the tepid Dawn of Defiance into a really great game. All gone - not even on the Wayback Machine. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here.

17 minutes ago, Desslok said:

I hated the engine, but the WotC Star Wars forums was brilliant stuff. They had managed to re-write the tepid Dawn of Defiance into a really great game. All gone - not even on the Wayback Machine. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here.

Dawn of Defiance was converted to FFG's Star Wars rules???

Sorry for the off topic question.

2 hours ago, Desslok said:

I spent quite some time there too.

@Seam I believe he was referring to Dawn of Defiance being re-written for SAGA.

8 hours ago, Sturn said:

What if Genesys and the SW RPG suddenly end? Will the Foundry be able to continue? If the Foundry is closed, what does that mean for us wanting to produce and possibly even sale stuff on Drivethru? 

If FFG decides to kill Foundry, anyone wishing to produce Genesys material this way is SOL. Freely shared fan content will always be legal, barring drastic changes to copyright and IP laws in the Western world.

Fortunately, Foundry is an extra revenue stream that requires little to no work on behalf of FFG, so they're unlikely to ever close it.

This is sadly one of the costs of the consolidation Asmodee has been doing the last fe years. Even very well known and successful RPGs (like D&D 5th ed.) are not gonna be huge money makers, at least not big enough for a large conglomerate like Asmodee.

I had really hoped FFG would have been able to keep their rpg deparment going for a while yet, by keeping the team small and with moves like monetizing fan content via the Foundry. But sadly it seems the profit was still not worth the cost of keeping a "side project" like this going.

30 minutes ago, Shirys said:

Just as i was delving deeper into Genesys, this is indeed very sad news =(

Hopefully they'll keep supporting it somehow.

Same here, I just came back from Savage Worlds as my to go system and bought every Genesys/SW book I still missed (plus a good share of Foundry content). Sad news indeed. 😥

Posted (edited)

I find it odd for the OP to demand nobody speculates then chides loss of benefits, paid time off, etc. as if it’s a nefarious plot against people. It’s no secret that RPGs aren’t huge money-makers, save a rare few and no company is under any obligation to keep a sinking fiscal ship afloat just to grant benefits to employees. It’s nice when they can and do, to weather storms, but it’s otherwise unsustainable. I do feel sympathy to those affected and hopefully they’ll find gainful employment, but lambasting FFG and Asmodee as cruel is disingenuous.

I find it surprising people aren’t more positive about how the RPG market is overall. The Internet has allowed for almost anyone to create something others might enjoy and/or buy. While the “art” may not sustain a lifestyle it’s still an incredible plus that those fired have the means to craft something, get it crowdfunded and keep creating, if they so choose. For a very long time it was just big publishers making stuff and that’s not the case any longer.

Every FLGS owner I have spoken to about RPGs says that they’re a small part of profits. People just don’t buy as many books and unless a company is churning out a ton of wanted products, there just isn’t enough revenue from RPGs. Even then, CCGs and minis bring in far more. Add in digital books and it shrinks even more. 

A local FLGS owner told me he loves RPGs more than any other stuff he sold but he had to carry, learn about and promote things he wasn’t into just to stay afloat. The local Barnes & Noble has one half of a shelf section dedicated to RPGs and it’s mostly 5e. Another blow to the hobby has been video games, especially how awesome many video game RPGs have been. I’m honestly surprised the FFG RPG department has lasted this long and I was shocked when GeneSys was announced and again when the RoT was. 

Edited by Alderaan Crumbs

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Same here, I just came back from Savage Worlds as my to go system and bought every Genesys/SW book I still missed (plus a good share of Foundry content). Sad news indeed. 😥

There's a thing though, why would they feature the release of a new Genesys Keyforge setting if they plan on dropping the whole system, makes no sense.

That is, unless they learned about layoffs soon after the news, which i still find unlikely - they would have put down the banner, or made a new announcement of some kind (perhaps). My guess is in knowledge of such news, FFG wouldn't even have announced that source book in the first place.

Leads into thinking they might still support Genesys

Edited by Shirys

Reminder that this forum is not the only place to discuss, share, or see Genesys content. We have a huge community and you can join us in any of these places should this forum somehow no longer be accessible in the (far) future.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GenesysRPG/

https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/

http://discord.gg/3vNJa6t

https://mewe.com/join/genesys_rpg

22 hours ago, emsquared said:

Oh I'm aware that corporations as a whole are heartless and that such things are standard operating procedure in the wider, mass-market world.

But in the RPG industry, where I'm able to follow and support the work of artists/creators, at the artist/creator-level?

Little different.

US Corporations, sure. The MBA you get from a US business school is all about shareholder ROE. But outside the US, less so. 

17 minutes ago, Endersai said:

US Corporations, sure. The MBA you get from a US business school is all about shareholder ROE. But outside the US, less so. 

Isn't Asmodee French?