Andreievitch

This is the worse possible news for the game :(

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

Since this forum gets more attention then the Genesys one...

So, what happens to the Genesys IP and Foundry?

Any chance FFG can be convinced to put Genesys on the Foundry in PDF form and keep the Foundry running to continue the line? Free money it seems. If they are still making boardgames, it seems easy enough to keep making the dice.

What are the legal ramifications of someone self-publishing Genesys material after it is defunct? Free vs. profit? Could a group of Genesys-lovers team together and buy out the Genesys IP on-the-cheap to keep it going?

As long as it's free, not intended to gather profit, you're fine it falls under user generated content the same as any RPG (otherwise all we'd play would be official adventures, duh)

As for buying the IP "on the cheap", they still get benefits and author's rights for every already published official content so might not be so cheap

The RPGs are on freeze, but reprints of already existing content is still a stable source of income they might not want to drop right away

Even though I have a complete set of books (excluding S&S), I'm still bummed by this news. This is my favorite RPG and although I have enough content to play forever, I always looked forward to "new stuff" from FFG that I could incorporate into my game.

I know these things go hand in hand, but I hate the idea that this game is going to "die", which is generally what I've seen happen when a game ceases being published.

Related/unrelated, I wonder if they are going to close these forums once the game stops being officially developed/published? 

17 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Related/unrelated, I wonder if they are going to close these forums once the game stops being officially developed/published? 

Doubtful

They're still planning CCG and TTG expansions as the news so this section is likely to go on for a while

Maintaining the RPG forums along with the CCG/TTG forums is a negligible cost

9 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

Doubtful

They're still planning CCG and TTG expansions as the news so this section is likely to go on for a while

I sincerely hope you’re right – I’m in some Facebook groups, but this is the most convenient place to come and discuss with fellow fans

3 hours ago, Sturn said:

Any chance FFG can be convinced to put Genesys on the Foundry in PDF form and keep the Foundry running to continue the line? Free money it seems. If they are still making boardgames, it seems easy enough to keep making the dice.

What are the legal ramifications of someone self-publishing Genesys material after it is defunct? Free vs. profit? Could a group of Genesys-lovers team together and buy out the Genesys IP on-the-cheap to keep it going?

Aconyte, an Asmodee subsidiary will publis a Keyforge novel this summer but no rpg stuff.

38 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

Doubtful

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself that Tarkin won't destroy your peaceful world...

17 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself that Tarkin won't destroy your peaceful world...

It really depends on where Tarkin is located. and I suspect they are Located in Asmodee or whoever bought Asmodee. Not in FFG themselves. 

4 hours ago, Sturn said:

I'd be surprised if the Foundry gets shut down.

Even if they're not producing new books, FFG still owns the rights to Genesys, and it's pretty much free money for them, as DriveThruRPG handles the overhead in exchange for a cut of each product's profits.

And as they are the rights owners, that means anyone trying to sell Genesys products after the Foundry were to be shut down would be in the same legal boat as if they were to try that while the Foundry is still up and running, as unlike d20 there's no OGL to cover you.  It'd be no different than trying to sell a Star Wars RPG back when WotC held the license but weren't actively producing books (such as the quiet period between RCR and Saga Edition).

Someone on the reddit posted this... 

"Hello !

I am indeed a translator for the Star Wars range.

I can't say anything more than what I implied in my message on the forum. I think that a permanent employee from FFG France will come shortly on the forum to communicate more "officially", or at least to reassure the community (though they might be on their road to Cannes at the moment...). We'll have to wait. But as I said, don't panic, Star Wars and L5R will continue."

Not sure if this is relevant but I thought to post it. I wasn't the one who translated the post nor was I the one who asked about the article from D20radio but could this be potentially good news?
JnEaf0U.png

3 minutes ago, Vorzakk said:

Dice are already going out of stock / shooting up in price. 

I'm not sure how expensive the Beginner Games are getting, but each of those comes with a handy set of dice. Just in case any new players are looking to grab some.

I found one store that had three sets in stock, so I had them throw the dice under the counter for me. I've got 3 or 4 sets over the years, one set for each of the Beginner Games, and a couple of Genesis dice - oh, and the app if I get REALLY desperate.  I should be good to go for the foreseeable future.

Stopped by the store near me and picked up the 2 sets of L5R dice they had, so with the Beginner Game set, I’m at 3.

For Genesys, I have 3, also (and the app), plus...

Nine sets of Star Wars dice (plus the app).

I should be good.

Now for those L5R books.

Okay, I found this over on facebook:

As I was scrolling through the official French SWRPG forums, i saw a guy who said that D20radio had the right informations but interpreted them wrong. I think he's a FFG employee.

"It seems to me that the guy who wrote the article have the right infos but don't interprete them well. Anyway, don't fear for Star Wars RPGs. (I won't say more, but don't forget that Asmodee is reorganizing its studios...)

PS : I PM'ed the guy, asking if he could share some more precision on what's going on, I'll tell you guys if he answers me.

And then this:

I am indeed a translator for the Star Wars range.

I can't say anything more than what I implied in my message on the forum. I think that a permanent employee from FFG France will come shortly on the forum to communicate more "officially", or at least to reassure the community (though they might be on their road to Cannes at the moment...). We'll have to wait. But as I said, don't panic, Star Wars and L5R will continue."

Now, take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but we may not be completely dead. Maybe.

4 hours ago, Metatron said:

Maybe the translator can elaborate why the Star Wars Dice app is not available anymore on the Google Store. 

Woah. just checked and didn't see it either.  Back up that APK file now so you have it for future phones/tablets

Right now, FFG (as an extension of Asmodee) has no long-term plans for the RPG.  Most likely because Asmodee is trying to slim down their operating costs enough to make themselves look like a valid purchase option for another company.

However, once the sale is down, who's to say that FFG's new owners won't be looking at restarting the RPG department?  After all, they have the Star Wars license (at least for as long as the minis keep performing as strong as they have been), and there's certainly new Star Wars material on the horizon as well as recent material that's yet to be tapped into (Resistance Era and potentially High Republic if the rumors around Project Luminous are to be believed).

It may just wind up being a situation akin to when WotC had the license and we had the lull period between when the Revised Core Rules stopped being produced and they introduced Saga Edition some years later, with one notable difference being in WotC's case that at the time, there wasn't much promise in the way of new Star Wars material aside from novels of increasingly dubious merit/quality and perhaps a CGI animated series whose intro movie was pretty widely loathed and first season wasn't exactly grabbing people.

Plus, TTRPGs are likely the most popular they've been in a long while, thanks in no small part to shows like Critical Role (which I'm hearing has gotten more and more people to take their first steps into the hobby).  So it's very much possible that the new owners of FFG, whomever they might be, will opt to dust off the RPG, figuring they may as well try to turn some profit on a license they're already paying for.

5 hours ago, Metatron said:

Maybe the translator can elaborate why the Star Wars Dice app is not available anymore on the Google Store. 

Wow, that is just sad :(

I prefer playing with my RPG dice. I have 3 beginner game sets and one set coming in from the entire other side of the continent. 
4 should do. Now to make sure my players don't lose any...

Edited by Tailball

Thinking about it last night. Yes it sucks that things are (allegedly) shutting down and of course I want more, but at the end of the day we should be grateful that the game is feature complete. Just imagine if we were only one or two core books into the line with just a handful of career books and adventures to work from.

Edited by Desslok

I am finally happy now that I grossly overpaid for Gadgets and Gear and only have to wait for the ships book to be released in Europe to have all the releases (except for the adventure books) complete. 
I feel for those just finding out about the game  

1 hour ago, Desslok said:

Thinking about it last night. Yes it sucks that things are (allegedly) shutting down and of course I want more, but at the end of the day we should be grateful that the game is feature complete. Just imagine if we were only one or two core books into the line with just a handful of career books and adventures to work from.

i am super glad we got the clone wars books as they added full on Jedi finally. I still would have loved to have had them do sequel era books. Even is I was not super pleased with the storyline. I would have loved to have more sector and region books like Bastions of empire for Age and make aa nexus of darkness book for F&D. I would love to see them do a Star Wars Expanded Players guide where they could apply some of the Genesys clean ups like starship combat adjustments. But at least we are feature complete. 

1 hour ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I am finally happy now that I grossly overpaid for Gadgets and Gear and only have to wait for the ships book to be released in Europe to have all the releases (except for the adventure books) complete. 
I feel for those just finding out about the game  

Don't worry about them; they'll just go with the next version and wonder why some grognards rushed to buy up the last scraps od s dead game. It's happened several times (with Star Wars alone), and it'll happen again.