Jump to content
Andreievitch

This is the worse possible news for the game :(

Recommended Posts

On 2/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, micheldebruyn said:

What do you mean with "diversity of character types"?

I played a 3 year long campaign of this, with the PCs starting as rookie magistrates of the dragon and Phoenix clans (the plot limited character creation to the Dragon, Phoenix, and Unicorn clans), handpicked by our lords to sort out what had happened to the previous magistrates, in an affair involving both clans. and we had among 5 players a combat mage, tank fighter, fighter/diplomat, mage/dimplomat, and a rogue.

Why would a tournament be involved with party creation?

I can see where that needs clarification. Looking at things after we played the starter seemed limited based on how clans interact. It really felt like players would be limited to one or two clans UNLESS some big sweeping event (such as a tournament) happened. This puts a lot of pressure on the GM to create a story that makes sense within the setting that would include multiple clans, and to get away with it via multiple campaigns... being clever is an understatement.

Now I will firmly admit that we were looking at this after experiencing only the starter and the articles that were released by FFG. I’m actually happy you weighed in with your report of different character types within the clan, it might make me take another look at the rpg (especially with the latest sourcebook’s focus on ronin). Still, I’m not optimistic if my players all find different backgrounds they’d like to try and those fit with different clans (knowing them, they’ll do it on purpose just to increase my workload).
 

So with that, the whole “it’s a lot of work to include all the different clans in a coherent plot” due to the restrictions of the setting turned us off, which was unfortunate, because the rest of the setting looked incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

I can see where that needs clarification. Looking at things after we played the starter seemed limited based on how clans interact. It really felt like players would be limited to one or two clans UNLESS some big sweeping event (such as a tournament) happened. This puts a lot of pressure on the GM to create a story that makes sense within the setting that would include multiple clans, and to get away with it via multiple campaigns... being clever is an understatement.

Now I will firmly admit that we were looking at this after experiencing only the starter and the articles that were released by FFG. I’m actually happy you weighed in with your report of different character types within the clan, it might make me take another look at the rpg (especially with the latest sourcebook’s focus on ronin). Still, I’m not optimistic if my players all find different backgrounds they’d like to try and those fit with different clans (knowing them, they’ll do it on purpose just to increase my workload).
 

So with that, the whole “it’s a lot of work to include all the different clans in a coherent plot” due to the restrictions of the setting turned us off, which was unfortunate, because the rest of the setting looked incredible. 

The main book covers a few options like Emerald magistrates which come from all clans. Or jade magistrates which also come from all clans

Edited by Daeglan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

Now I will firmly admit that we were looking at this after experiencing only the starter and the articles that were released by FFG.

Worth noting that the Beginner Game - just like FFG’s Star Wars Beginner Games - is somewhat limited by design, meant to be played with the included pregen characters, and intentionally railroady and cultivated to give an idea of the flavor of the game. Based on, for example, the Edge of the Empire BG, one might also be equally hard pressed to come up with a means to include Age of Rebellion or Force and Destiny characters into a primarily Edge campaign.

That is, of course, keeping in mind that - like any game - it might still end up not being your cup of tea. Which is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Worth noting that the Beginner Game - just like FFG’s Star Wars Beginner Games - is somewhat limited by design, meant to be played with the included pregen characters, and intentionally railroady and cultivated to give an idea of the flavor of the game. Based on, for example, the Edge of the Empire BG, one might also be equally hard pressed to come up with a means to include Age of Rebellion or Force and Destiny characters into a primarily Edge campaign.

That is, of course, keeping in mind that - like any game - it might still end up not being your cup of tea. Which is fine.

I would never argue against this. Our decision was made after playing through the starter (knowing what you’ve stated) along with the articles for the full game FFG posted as well as no one in the L5R’s forum being able to refute my questioning of the setting being so limiting of character creation (which in hindsight is silly since no one in those forums could possibly know because everyone was just getting to play the newly released game).

Given what I’ve been reading the setting has advanced since its release. I’m going to give it another look-see. 
 

And hey, if we can get a three year campaign going does it really matter if it starts off in a manner that’s “forced” by the setting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

While not official, what some were expecting and most of us were hoping wouldn’t be the case:

http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-flight-games-long-term-plan-will-discontinue-rpg-development/

Well that is really disappointing and kind of shortsighted on the part of whoever made the decision above FFG. because I am pretty sure it did not come from within FFG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Well that is really disappointing and kind of shortsighted on the part of whoever made the decision above FFG. because I am pretty sure it did not come from within FFG. 

If you mean it comes from Asmodée says it clearly. Perhaps it's true, perhaps not.

But a few days ago Asmodée made a communiqué to tell the company got the right for translating D&D5 in French and for publishing it in French. And some weeks before Edge a French-Spanish RPG and Boardgames editor owned by Asmodée made a communiqué to tell it will now be the translator and publisher for the latest Call of Chtuhlu edition in French. That's the two most popular RPGs in France that Asmodée got its hands on. But the French RPGs market is a dwarf compared to the US RPGs market.

So, why would it quits the US RPG market at the moment when it makes a big come back in the French RPGs market ? That's very bad management. Except if FFG has been losing to much money with RPGs and cutting this activity is needed. Or it's something completetly different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WolfRider said:

If you mean it comes from Asmodée says it clearly. Perhaps it's true, perhaps not.

But a few days ago Asmodée made a communiqué to tell the company got the right for translating D&D5 in French and for publishing it in French. And some weeks before Edge a French-Spanish RPG and Boardgames editor owned by Asmodée made a communiqué to tell it will now be the translator and publisher for the latest Call of Chtuhlu edition in French. That's the two most popular RPGs in France that Asmodée got its hands on. But the French RPGs market is a dwarf compared to the US RPGs market.

So, why would it quits the US RPG market at the moment when it makes a big come back in the French RPGs market ? That's very bad management. Except if FFG has been losing to much money with RPGs and cutting this activity is needed. Or it's something completetly different.

Translation and distribution is an entirely different ball of wax than development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know whether d20radio is a good/trustworthy source? One can't be too cautious these days.

That said... *shrug* If Asmodée doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, there are certainly loads of other comapnies that do want just that. Someone will probably pick up Genesys rpg if it is popular (and Star Wars in some form or other) at some point. But yeah... capitalism sux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, angelman2 said:

Do we know whether d20radio is a good/trustworthy source? One can't be too cautious these days.

That said... *shrug* If Asmodée doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, there are certainly loads of other comapnies that do want just that. Someone will probably pick up Genesys rpg if it is popular (and Star Wars in some form or other) at some point. But yeah... capitalism sux

D20 Radio is a very trustworthy source. They have contacts with many of the devs at ffg since the beginning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good people all left a while ago, all that's left is just a husk of FFGs former glory. Time to move on to different systems and companies.

TBH the RPG people should just get together and start a new company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Do we know whether d20radio is a good/trustworthy source? One can't be too cautious these days.

That said... *shrug* If Asmodée doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, there are certainly loads of other comapnies that do want just that. Someone will probably pick up Genesys rpg if it is popular (and Star Wars in some form or other) at some point. But yeah... capitalism sux

Capitalism? What does that have to do with anything.  Capitalism is the reason for FFG to exist in the first place isnt it?

Edited by daggertx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, angelman2 said:

That said... *shrug* If Asmodée doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, there are certainly loads of other comapnies that do want just that. Someone will probably pick up Genesys rpg if it is popular (and Star Wars in some form or other) at some point. But yeah... capitalism sux

Assuming FFG - either sold to a new owner, or still under Asmodee - stays as it currently is, at the very least, the Star Wars RPG license wont be going anywhere as long as the miniatures games continue to do well, since they all fall under the same tabletop gaming license.

Edited by Nytwyng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

That said... *shrug* If Asmodée doesn't want to make RPGs anymore, there are certainly loads of other comapnies that do want just that. Someone will probably pick up Genesys rpg if it is popular (and Star Wars in some form or other) at some point. But yeah... capitalism sux

There's plenty wrong with capitalism, but its failure at providing you with your favourite thing is not one of them.

17 minutes ago, Varlie said:

5n1YAXK.jpg

Lol...

I'm actually not disappointed though, strangely enough.  If you like playing Star Wars, you already have everything you need.  You do not need a new species/ship/blaster/planet/career to do it.  The game line is complete...they actually finished it, which is kind of amazing, and major kudos to the writers for getting the best of them (the Rebels/Clone Wars coverage) out the door before the hammer came down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you on Star Wars and I mentioned that when I emailed the link to my players.  I am still disappointed for the Genesys system although what they have released and what fans have released will make it very playable for years to come as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah well, 

As sad as it is to probably not get any decent licensed material, I am sure fan-brew adventures will come with its downfall.
And besides that, I think most (if not all) of what GM's and players require is already covered in the existing books.
 

For me as a European, the only real **** thing, is that the books are becoming increasingly hard to find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tailball said:

Ah well, 

As sad as it is to probably not get any decent licensed material, I am sure fan-brew adventures will come with its downfall.
And besides that, I think most (if not all) of what GM's and players require is already covered in the existing books.
 

For me as a European, the only real **** thing, is that the books are becoming increasingly hard to find. 

Well, I assume market sharks soon start to put up their collections for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back and looked, and FFG is sold out of most of the career books (except AoR), and all of the era supplements. It looks like this news has really lit a fire under some people to buy 'em while they can. If I remember correctly, last time I checked, which was just before the news broke, the only book sold out was Dangerous Covenants, and that had been largely consistent for a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this forum gets more attention then the Genesys one...

So, what happens to the Genesys IP and Foundry?

Any chance FFG can be convinced to put Genesys on the Foundry in PDF form and keep the Foundry running to continue the line? Free money it seems. If they are still making boardgames, it seems easy enough to keep making the dice.

What are the legal ramifications of someone self-publishing Genesys material after it is defunct? Free vs. profit? Could a group of Genesys-lovers team together and buy out the Genesys IP on-the-cheap to keep it going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.

As uncomfortable as it always makes me (since I suck at it), need to get in full haggle mode this weekend...see if I can talk down the price of the new bed to free up tax refund money for a mass L5R book buy....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...