Andreievitch

This is the worse possible news for the game :(

Just now, Varlie said:

Yeah, I just read that as well. Star Wars and Genesys are such unique systems, hopefully they'll find a way to keep them live

I wonder if Asmodee will keep the games going, but develop in France instead?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Andreievitch said:

I wonder if Asmodee will keep the games going, but develop in France instead?

They could use freelancers. Apparently there are a couple of books in the development pipeline.  But this likely spells the end of their RPG lines if I had to venture a guess. We’ll  probably get the starship book and that will be it. 

Edited by Gallandro

Posted (edited)

Well, they have already shifted from very active 3 game lines to a single successor line that may will probably be somewhat less active (2-4 books per year). A single line editor and maybe one writer could handle that, especially with the pool of developed writers they just let go as freelance support. The writing was already on this wall. Also, layoffs and restructuring may be for the best in terms of longevity and keeping things rolling. Ambition is great. Prudence is life.

Edited by Vondy

2 hours ago, Vondy said:

Well, they have already shifted from very active 3 game lines to a single successor line that may will probably be somewhat less active (2-4 books per year). A single line editor and maybe one writer could handle that, especially with the pool of developed writers they just let go as freelance support. The writing was already on this wall. Also, layoffs and restructuring may be for the best in terms of longevity and keeping things rolling. Ambition is great. Prudence is life.

I used to work a small local weekly newspaper. Like 3 full-time employees (two writers and an editor/layout) + several feed stories from higher up for fill out a few more pages.

So you can totally handle an RPG supp with just a handful of people and a pile of freelancers supporting... Quality may or may not suffer depending how on top of things the full timers are.

3 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

I hope those let go find new success with other companies. I hope the license is let go so it too can find success with another company.

Whilst I would prefer SW to stay in the narrative system, I REALLY hope it doesn't go back to WotC.  I have no time for the level system, especially for SW

5 minutes ago, Andreievitch said:

Whilst I would prefer SW to stay in the narrative system, I REALLY hope it doesn't go back to WotC.  I have no time for the level system, especially for SW

I suspect not. They did Star Wars and the higher ups didn't like paying the license fees. FFG was the kind of company that works well with licensed material, small enough that the money they get from the license is good money, big enough that they can still do a good job.

I hope anyone let go can recover quickly and get back into something productive and even more lucrative.  Getting laid off for any reason really sucks. I've been there.

As far as the RPG and license goes, I really enjoy this edition of Star Wars and I have all of the books. I'd be really hard pressed to invest in some other publisher's new take on it.

We don't have any specific reason to believe FFG has actually losing and or giving up the license, either. They have other active Star Wars product lines. The three line concept largely ran its course and shifting gears into a unified line that focuses on era books with attendant region or adventure supplements makes senses. We live in an age of unfettered speculation. They laid off some people and downsized the department after refocusing the line. That's all we know.

30 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

I hope the license is let go so it too can find success with another company.

While I don’t agree with this sentiment, I think it’s a moot point. All of their Star Wars properties are part of the same tabletop game license. X-Wing is still going strong. Legion is healthy. Armada is being dragged into Clone Wars content, so will probably be around for a while longer. Imperial Assault will likely be officially discontinued, instead of just effectively over. And Destiny is probably next to go.

Whatever happens with the RPG line (and FFG’s RPG content as a whole), there’s no reason to expect the license to go anywhere at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

While I don’t agree with this sentiment, I think it’s a moot point. All of their Star Wars properties are part of the same tabletop game license. X-Wing is still going strong. Legion is healthy. Armada is being dragged into Clone Wars content, so will probably be around for a while longer. Imperial Assault will likely be officially discontinued, instead of just effectively over. And Destiny is probably next to go.

Whatever happens with the RPG line (and FFG’s RPG content as a whole), there’s no reason to expect the license to go anywhere at the moment.

Of course, That's why the news is doubly sad.

This is depressing.  By far the best system out there.  I certainly wont be investing in a new system.  Between FFGs narrative system and my old WEG collection Im set for life.  But I would have loved to see FFG continue to release books.  Especially adventure books.  Maybe there is hope?  Possibly doing a restructuring internally.

Help us FFG you are our only hope!

I started boardgames with Avalon Hill and RPG's with Adv. D&D. For years now, FFG has been my go-to company for BOTH boardgames and RPG's. I think I have around 20 FFG boardgames, and they are pricey. I just bought two more in the last couple of weeks (Rebellion and Outer Rim). I have almost the entire line of Genesys and SW RPG books. I've said over and over I'm never going back to d20. This narrative dice system is by far the best I've ever used and there's a massive wall of RPG books collected through decades in my basement.

Now this?

Optimist: I'm hoping the boardgames aren't affected and the RPG lines stay alive with a small staff plus quality freelancers. Less rate of books perhaps, but it's still alive and the Foundry and forums keep going.

Pessimist: What if Genesys and the SW RPG suddenly end? Will the Foundry be able to continue? If the Foundry is closed, what does that mean for us wanting to produce and possibly even sale stuff on Drivethru? One of my largest worries are these forums. I've seen game forums die in the past and it's sad what is lost. There is a treasure trove of discussions and links to more stuff on these forums.

2 minutes ago, bsycamore said:

The news I read is that it's the Interactive Team being layed off (the guys behind the Lord of the Rings Computer version). I'm not sure its the RPG Teams.

"Most, if not all, the RPG department has been laid off." from the original post I saw.

Wow, holy crap. That is not good news.

At the very least, we should be happy that we got the wealth of stuff that we did. Yes, I want a KotOR sourcebook and a E7-9 sourcebook* and more gear books and ship books and shadowport books - but even if the line dried up and blew away today, we have enough to reskin, design and guide our write-ups. It would suck, but I played D6 for 10 years after the demise of WEG. I can do the same here.

*Actually, no I don't. But I'd still buy it anyway. 

Posted (edited)

Found a little bit more about the state of the company from someone who was let go:

The Marvel license is going to do great both Crisis Protocol and Champions are great games on their heads though (the creation of Atomic Mass studios was I think one of the better moves recently) but at the same time the Infinity Saga hype is on the downswing as they got the license

SW is a rocky fandom right now but hopefully new ships and characters from IX and Mandalorian will boost some lines. Look for a big Armada push soon since X2 isn't carrying the water like it did, Destiny is effectively dead, ImpAssault also dead

Agot they only have the book license so until George writes another one they've literally done everything they can

The biggest issue with the licenses is the amount of back-and-forth approval steps (especially with Disney) and the sales promises that have to be made to get the deals (international licensing is a whole other can of worms)

And this, in response to "What kind of institutional knowledge would you say was disregarded?"

I mean it in two ways

The company was started by a bunch of nerds who didn't know what they were doing so a lot of processes were super inefficient, especially when the senior staff left and things were left without knowledge or guidance

And the company is answering to the group of investors that own them, with the folks in charge on the ground are pushing for more and more beancounting

They severely underpay for the work they ask, and use the fact that you're in the game industry to try and make up with it, but they underpaid and overstressed a lot of excellent senior staff members so they just dipped

The push from the corporate overlords also disregards a lot of good work being done in creative roles - the designers like Corey who want to try new things are pushed to reinvent the wheel, sales people and marketing guys who are good with clients and customers are pushed out for those who bring in the faster revenue.

They lost their core values a while ago, I'm afraid - if I had any advice it would be to not let the machine get so good at selling games that it forgets how to make them

and

My guess is RPGs on the whole aren't making the money corporate expects from a product line

Even with the FFG/Genesys model of custom dice and a half dozen sourcebooks a year the profitability just isn't there compared to other lines. Books themselves have a low overhead so to you cut costs you have to cut creative talent

Edited by Desslok

At worst, even if there is no more SWRPG, there is SO much material out there for people to run campaigns indefinitely

At best, 3 or 4 new books a year is fine

Fingers crossed

Honest