Knucklesamwich

Trouble at FFG

It would be nice if there could be a reset and go back to the same ownership as pre-asmodee. FFG was hitting home run after home run back then. It been sad to witness the changes over such a short time. Before asmodee took over I would stand in line for hours at gen-con to see the booth. This year was the first year that I didn’t really care if I made it to FFG booth. I’m really fearful for the future of X-Wing especially, it’s my favorite game and to see it in the hands that it’s in now is not inspiring confidence. 

3 hours ago, Knucklesamwich said:

I guess this would explain why the X-Wing app is garbage. This is what I feared when they sold to asmodee. Farewell once greatest game company of all time, You will be missed. 

No, FFI worked on digital versions of FFG's games, according to the news release when the studio was created back in 2017, FFG has a different team for  the apps that belong to the board games (like Mansions of Madness, Descent, and I would expect the X-Wing app)

FFI appears to be closing after only launching one game - The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game

FFI is not FFG

9 minutes ago, kris40k said:

No, FFI worked on digital versions of FFG's games, according to the news release when the studio was created back in 2017, FFG has a different team for  the apps that belong to the board games (like Mansions of Madness, Descent, and I would expect the X-Wing app)

FFI appears to be closing after only launching one game - The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game

FFI is not FFG

This. Perhaps FFG even snagged some software devs from FFI and that’s why we’re getting a new app at all.

From Reddit:

"

Hello sub,

As always I'll leave official messaging to Marketing, but I wanted to say that I appreciate the discussion going on here. There are debates and speculation but no one is becoming toxic or trying to stir the pot and I respect this sub for that. Thank you.

For now I can confirm that there have been layoffs today at FFG which is self evident throughout social media. My heart goes out to my co-workers who were let go.

As noted, we were not the only company impacted by Asmodee's downsizing, and I'm sure more details will be rolled out in an official capacity when they feel the time is right.

Please show support for the passionate individuals who have worked hard to create the games we all love, and respect those of us who remain to continue that drive.

Cheers, Gavin"

To grow new crops, you must first till the field and turn the old under the surface.

They'll be fine, their skills have plenty of demand. It will be interesting to see FFG exes cross pollinate into other fields of work. And in a way, this allows FFG to return to development that's not as dependent on a digital front. 

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

And in a way, this allows FFG to return to development that's not as dependent on a digital front. 

I don't think there will be a lack of digital tools going forward. FF Interactive was responsible for The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game, but they weren't responsible for the apps that work with games like Mansions of Madness and Imperial Assault and they weren't responsible for stuff like the X-Wing app. As far as we've heard, the internal group responsible for those items hasn't been impacted.

49 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I don't think there will be a lack of digital tools going forward. FF Interactive was responsible for The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game, but they weren't responsible for the apps that work with games like Mansions of Madness and Imperial Assault and they weren't responsible for stuff like the X-Wing app. As far as we've heard, the internal group responsible for those items hasn't been impacted.

Like I said, "not as"

4 hours ago, Odanan said:

"were let go" - got love those English euphemisms...

Words have meanings, even if the end result is the same. Much like @Dreadai pointed out:

"Fired" means either you messed up your job or either angered management to the point that you are gone, with prejudice. Don't come back. Probably best you don't ask for a reference.

"Let go" means that you haven't done anything wrong, there was no problem with your job performance and there is no malice, but your position has been eliminated or similar. You can probably hit these people up for references, and networking to find another job. Often management will already be helping place people.

It was outsourced to a 3rd party company with no direct connection to X-Wing or miniatures gaming, probably based on who bid the lowest price for the work. Surely it's not surprising that this leads to a mediocre product?

We've been told to expect a revised app with various improvements, hopefully lessons were learned. Either way thank Xenu for YASB and Launchbay Next.