Broopa

Questions on the Czerka H9 Pistol Grip and its drawbacks

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Me and my friends have been in the midst of an EOTE campaign off and on for about half a year now. In the current party I'm the only combat-focused character, so I'm constantly looking for new ways to make sure I can protect my group during a fight. My character is currently a Ranged Light based gunslinger (not the actual spec), and while I have a pair of heavy blaster pistols that have torn apart some poor souls stupid enough to threaten my character, I've been in need of a longer ranged option. That said, when I stumbled upon the H9 Grip, and learned that I could just use my light ranged for any heavy weapon that can take it, I was in awe of it. Then I read this part of it: "Ranged (Heavy) blaster rifle, blaster carbine, or slugthrower without Cumbersome." It's likely more up to the GM, but I still figured I'd ask other people who play this game and who likely have a much better understanding than us.

• The weapon I was looking to put this item on was the disruptor rifle, which has a base Cumbersome rating of 2. The description also mentions it being able to go on slugthrowers without Cumbersome, though the weapon comes with the same rating as the disruptor. I guess my main question is this: can I use an attachment such as the weapon harness (or anything else that lowers the Cumbersome rating of an item enough to 0 or below) to legally attach the H9 to a disruptor rifle?
  • My second question is concerning the fact that it reduces the range of the weapon to medium. Would adding other attachments to the weapon that increase its range cancel this out? Granted, most of these also increase the cumbersome rating, so I would need it lowered further, but is it possible?
  • Third question: Would placing a custom grip on the weapon be possible since this attachment is also a grip, or would they cancel each other out?
  • And final question: One of my other choices for a heavier weapon was going to be the blaster carbine, since it's much, much cheaper, and technically more legal under the law. Since the weapon can already be used one handed, would using the H9 on this weapon still give the the downside of adding one setback for using it one handed?

Again, these are questions I will have to ask my GM at some point, but I figured I'd look at what others thought of this in a rules sense. Thank you!

Edited by Broopa

On 1/7/2020 at 12:40 AM, Broopa said:
  • The weapon I was looking to put this item on was the disruptor rifle, which has a base Cumbersome rating of 2. The description also mentions it being able to go on slugthrowers without Cumbersome, though the weapon comes with the same rating as the disruptor. I guess my main question is this: can I use an attachment such as the weapon harness (or anything else that lowers the Cumbersome rating of an item enough to 0 or below) to legally attach the H9 to a disruptor rifle?

There are other slugthrowers in splat books that don't have Cumbersome ratings.

I would rule that a Weapon Harness reduces the Cumbersome rating to 0, it doesn't remove it. Same with talents like Burly.

• My second question is concerning the fact that it reduces the range of the weapon to medium. Would adding other attachments to the weapon that increase its range cancel this out? Granted, most of these also increase the cumbersome rating, so I would need it lowered further, but is it possible?

No, but if you use Sniper Shot, you can increase its range for your shot.

• Third question: Would placing a custom grip on the weapon be possible since this attachment is also a grip, or would they cancel each other out?

It would basically be a custom pistol grip, so I don't see why not.

• And final question: One of my other choices for a heavier weapon was going to be the blaster carbine, since it's much, much cheaper, and technically more legal under the law. Since the weapon can already be used one handed, would using the H9 on this weapon still give the the downside of adding one setback for using it one handed?

I would probably rule that it would not add a Setback, but legally speaking, it would. Having it not add the Setback would be a matter of the GM being nice.

You're probably better off with tricked-out Heavy Blaster Pistols with the Paired Weapon attachment.

Sorry it took so long for anyone to respond, the first post delay pushed this off the front page by the time it went up.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:40 PM, Broopa said:

The weapon I was looking to put this item on was the disruptor rifle, which has a base Cumbersome rating of 2. The description also mentions it being able to go on slugthrowers without Cumbersome, though the weapon comes with the same rating as the disruptor. I guess my main question is this: can I use an attachment such as the weapon harness (or anything else that lowers the Cumbersome rating of an item enough to 0 or below) to legally attach the H9 to a disruptor rifle?

Nope! Though not because of the cumbersome thing (well that too, but that's not the reason I note.)

The grip works on blaster carbines, blaster rifles, or slugthrowers. A disruptor is none of those things. If the grip were meant to work on disruptors, it would either be on the list or the grip would work with all "rifle sized weapons" or something.

My second question is concerning the fact that it reduces the range of the weapon to medium. Would adding other attachments to the weapon that increase its range cancel this out? Granted, most of these also increase the cumbersome rating, so I would need it lowered further, but is it possible?

Stuff that's self cancelling pretty much does that.

Would placing a custom grip on the weapon be possible since this attachment is also a grip, or would they cancel each other out?

Typically items that don't cancel can stack, even if they occupy the same space on the weapon. So like you can mount a telescopic and multioptic scope on the same weapon for a telescopic multioptic sight.

One of my other choices for a heavier weapon was going to be the blaster carbine, since it's much, much cheaper, and technically more legal under the law. Since the weapon can already be used one handed, would using the H9 on this weapon still give the the downside of adding one setback for using it one handed?

Yes, because the ability to use a carbine one-handed is a narrative feature, not a hard mechanic. Confusion about that is likely why that is dropped from their description in other cores.

8 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Yes, because the ability to use a carbine one-handed is a narrative feature, not a hard mechanic. Confusion about that is likely why that is dropped from their description in other cores.

Minor nitpick. The one-handed carbine thing is from FaD Core, the last one written, so they didn't drop it from the other two, but added it to the last one.

12 hours ago, penpenpen said:

Minor nitpick. The one-handed carbine thing is from FaD Core, the last one written, so they didn't drop it from the other two, but added it to the last one.

Indeed. It was removed for AoR so that threw me Looking at FaD they defined conditions, so that's good to know.

So in the case of the pistol grip, using it on a carbine actually might be a good deal for a Ranged:Light person, as you can already shoot it at Short one-handed and it's max range is already Med, so adding the pistol grip just allows you to switch to Light for the skill, and always add a Setback when firing it one handed (even at Short rage), which in many cases won't be required unless doing some silly dual build or attempting to totally replace your pistol. But for a ranged light person looking for extra punch in those situations where combat is expected... not bad.

Thank you all! I'm happy that this finally got approved!

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Aniother good option, if you have the credits, is the Westar-35 pistol from Collapse of the Republic. It has a range of Medium already, Accurate +1, and does 6 damage. 

I've been using heavy pistols skinned as Westars, so that shouldn't be big deal at all for me and the GM to handle.