Chyrson

Question regarding ship crew sizes

Hello, this may have been asked but I can't seem to find anything in the book, my group is trying to decide on it's ship, we have it narrowed down to three options, but I have a question, two of the options show that the crew is only 2 people a pilot and co-pilot, does this mean as a party of 4 that only 2 people would really be able to do much in the ship during combat and the like?

No. Other people on the ship can do stuff, they just don't have certain options, such as angling deflector shields, that require access to the controls. I'd suggest you look at the "Additional Ship and Vehicle Actions" table on page 237 of the EotE CRB for a good list of options. The most obvious action someone on board can attempt is the Damage Control action, performing a Mechanics check to repair System Strain.

Aside from those, they could use talents to benefit the other PCs or act to the detriment of the opponents.

2 hours ago, Vondy said:

I would propose engineering, emergency repairs, and sensors and communications could be performed by someone other than the pilot and co-pilot.

I'd add gunnery crew to the list as well. Some ships, like the Lambda-class shuttle, have more guns than can feasibly be fired by just the standard crew complement. Which means there's probably some extra gunnery stations.

9 hours ago, abookfulblockhead said:

I'd add gunnery crew to the list as well. Some ships, like the Lambda-class shuttle, have more guns than can feasibly be fired by just the standard crew complement. Which means there's probably some extra gunnery stations.

A few ships (like the Gozanti-Class Armed Transport) specifically list gunners in their crew complement, but most do not:  Generally speaking, I would think turreted weapons can be used by someone other than the pilot/co-pilot while non-turreted weapons require you to point the ship at the target, making it a 'pilot only' sort of task.

It's really quite conditional from ship-to-ship. For example, the YT series doesn't list gunners, yet we know that each turret has a dedicated gunner station. However, the Lancer-calss Pursuit Craft has a turret, but we know from SW Rebels that the turret is controlled from the cockpit.

I'd advise you to just figure it out on a case-by-case basis. If you can find deckplans online, that should help you immensely.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

It's really quite conditional from ship-to-ship. For example, the YT series doesn't list gunners, yet we know that each turret has a dedicated gunner station. However, the Lancer-calss Pursuit Craft has a turret, but we know from SW Rebels that the turret is controlled from the cockpit.

Regardless of where it's controlled from, there is still a gunner for it. Those people in on the command bridge are still gunners and using the Gunnery skill.

It is safe to assume that any multi-crewed ship will need at least one gunner for the weapon systems. The pilot could use the guns, we see Han do this in ANH with the top quad laser turret, but it's more beneficial for them to concentrate on flying and let the gunners shoot.