Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

Scum, Imperial, F/O Preview is up!

1 minute ago, RoockieBoy said:

Yes, but did you defend? I think I might be mixing Nomb Lumb’s ability with gargor’s

Yes.

It's important to note that you're not even skipping any steps, you're only canceling all results. Attacker rolls attack dice, defender rolls defense dice, but the results are moot.

I'm thinking of a pretty neat combo for LeHuse:

Have a TIE/Ba with homing missiles close to him, have it take a lot for a deplete, and evade for standard action. LeHuse (probably with SFG) just takes a focus. TIE/Baattacks first, either the opposing ship takes the 1, which saves the lock, or it takes a 3 dice lock modded shot (either way, deplete goes away after this). Then LeHuse either has a 3 dice focus modded or double modded. Not sure if it would ever be correct in this situation for the defender to take the 1 from homing, but it could turn out differently if the Baron doesn't have to take defensive actions.

3 hours ago, Cerebrawl said:

Yes.

It's important to note that you're not even skipping any steps, you're only canceling all results. Attacker rolls attack dice, defender rolls defense dice, but the results are moot.

But if you cancel the dice, the result (nothing) is certainly clear and agreed upon.  “Moot” actually means that something is open for debate and the outcome is currently uncertain.

So it seems like Morna Kee will be stronger on defence than I initially thought because of reinforce-stacking. Two observations:

1 - I wonder how long before she becomes known as Timewalk Morna. 😀 Not as tanky as 1.0's infamous Timewalk Asajj (thankfully) on full burn, but will still blast through those 3 non-recurring charges fast if pre-setting reinforce on the turn before combat to double-reinforce  on the opening volley and so on.

2 - in the source material, Kee is Rae Sloane's personal pilot. A Sloane carrier's primary job in this game is to stay alive so Sloane is on the table as long as possible, so this might be the best Decimator pilot to do that. I like it when game mechanics support the lore.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

So it seems like Morna Kee will be stronger on defence than I initially thought because of reinforce-stacking. Two observations:

Yeah, I have been considering what will be the better use, either double reinforcing the front to survive the initial clash / alpha strike, or trying for a reinforce + TL, in either case, 5th Brother will likely be paired with that for a good offense. 

One of the things I have ran into with running RAC, you need to survive the initial damage race to get the most value out of them. One you start whittling down your opponents offense and the scrum happens and they can't get all guns pointed in the same direction anymore, RAC lasts a lot longer. But, if someone focuses all guns on him at the beginning, you will get melted.

A double reinforced Deci will make other targets look more tempting during the initial clash and quite possibly result in a even more drastic increase in turns on the board / ROI for Morna than you would expect from those 3 non-recurring charges.  

Edited by kris40k

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LeMightyASP said:

I'm thinking of a pretty neat combo for LeHuse:

Have a TIE/Ba with homing missiles close to him, have it take a lot for a deplete, and evade for standard action. LeHuse (probably with SFG) just takes a focus. TIE/Baattacks first, either the opposing ship takes the 1, which saves the lock, or it takes a 3 dice lock modded shot (either way, deplete goes away after this). Then LeHuse either has a 3 dice focus modded or double modded. Not sure if it would ever be correct in this situation for the defender to take the 1 from homing, but it could turn out differently if the Baron doesn't have to take defensive actions.

Its definitely interesting but you may need to adjust the strategy depending on holo or vonreg.  Because holo must give a token if within 0 to 2 either to lehuse or a different ship.  So with holo you may want a 3rd ship to potentially give a deplete or strain token or be range 3 which might be tough.

Edited by reqent
Added more

On 1/3/2020 at 4:50 AM, Boreas Mun said:

I don't know but 2 shots from Torani triggering both abilities twice and canceling results with Failsafe could be pretty good.

edit: ok, only once, but it is still good

I have said this in other threads. 
I have seen Torani, clusters, fail safe and R5 used to great effect. Has laser beamed droid swarms to death. 

Posted (edited)

I still don’t understand the defenders of phasma.  She’s bad.  There’s no reason to shoot her she’s no more of a threat than a generic SF so... just ignore her.  
If she’s flying alongside QuickDraw just shoot down QuickDraw he can only fire back once per turn why wouldn’t you burn that down first anyway?

In the middle of a swarm what is she doing that matters?  You aren’t doing a swarm tactics chain with her so just kill the swarm.

Edited by Zucch10

11 minutes ago, Zucch10 said:

I still don’t understand the defenders of phasma.  She’s bad.  There’s no reason to shoot her she’s no more of a threat than a generic SF so... just ignore her.  
If she’s flying alongside QuickDraw just shoot down QuickDraw he can only fire back once per turn why wouldn’t you burn that down first anyway?

In the middle of a swarm what is she doing that matters?  You aren’t doing a swarm tactics chain with her so just kill the swarm.

A three-dice gun that gets to hang out and take freebies all day is nothing to scoff at.

4 minutes ago, RampancyTW said:

A three-dice gun that gets to hang out and take freebies all day is nothing to scoff at.

If your sinking an extra 10 points into her for the title...  in which case I’m still shooting quick first 

3 hours ago, Zucch10 said:

If your sinking an extra 10 points into her for the title...  in which case I’m still shooting quick first 

Cool. It's still a ship that can deal damage that you are just letting run free. You should only do that to something that can't do much to you, or can hurt YOU when you attack it (like Dengar or Quickdraw). And even then, any shots not aimed at a ship are shots it doesn't have to risk green dice on.

Cheers for letting me roll JUST reds with Phasma most of the game, SF's hate rolling greens :P

I’m curious what others think. Phasma to me seems like a great Candidate for Angled Deflectors. With a wing mate she can essentially negate at least 2 damage coming her way. 

41 minutes ago, Ronu said:

I’m curious what others think. Phasma to me seems like a great Candidate for Angled Deflectors. With a wing mate she can essentially negate at least 2 damage coming her way. 

I'd say it would depend on your opponant shooting at her, and you are giving them a second reason not to. So I'd stick with Focus/Lock and try and kill as much as she can before your opponant does focus on her.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Zucch10 said:

Put her next to Tavson, and you have choice to make: Shoot a reinforced Tavson and powerup his shot, or shoot Phasma, who will pass damage off damage to Tavson which will powerup his shot.

Other situations like triggering QD and unshielding Fanatical FOs aren't optimal, but they are still trick worth trying.

Edited by 5050Saint

8 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Put her next to Tavson, and you have choice to make: Shoot a reinforced Tavson and powerup his shot, or shoot Phasma, who will pass damage off damage to Tavson which will powerup his shot.

Other situations like triggering QD and unshielding Fanatical FOs aren't optimal, but they are still trick worth trying.

There might be a decent use for Phasma with FCS along with the other new /sf, LeHuse. They fly easily near each other because they're both i5. Phasma locks with her action, LeHuse focuses. Phasma is the softer target because she's the one with no green token, but can spread the damage. When they attack there's one reroll on Phasma from FCS plus a multi-reroll on LeHuse (making it a fully modded shot if he doesn't need the focus for defence).

Come to think of it, Phasma with FCS seems a good combo anyway with some cheap filler wingmates. It's pretty easy to lock on the best target at i5, and FCS gives a pretty decent chance of saving the lock while the pilot ability compensates for the weakness of 2 unmodified green dice. On subsequent rounds Phasma can get lock+focus fully modded against the same target.

Phasma+filler could also benefit from Phasma having Afterburners. A high-initiative ship with AB and native barrel-roll gets to be a credible ace temporarily, so if the opponent attacks everyone but Phasma to prevent her ability spreading damage, they're guaranteeing that they're facing an ace in the endgame.

10 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I really like the Fanatical idea. You then are still above half points and you can then keep your focus/actions for defence and still get an attack mod. Plus I rather like the idea of it on her too as shell be losing the shields slower than usual, but then when she does she can focus her actions on defence, like her wingmen.

2 hours ago, LeMightyASP said:

Phasma is actually i4

My bad, I've gotten mixed up with all the new reveals. The LeHuse synergy doesn't work as well then because Phasma can't shoot before him unless you invest in Swarm Tactics.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:31 PM, Dasharr said:

2 - in the source material, Kee is Rae Sloane's personal pilot. A Sloane carrier's primary job in this game is to stay alive so Sloane is on the table as long as possible, so this might be the best Decimator pilot to do that. I like it when game mechanics support the lore.

Indeed. I suspect she's going to need to do something a bit more to justify a >68 point VT-49 over a 40-50 point Lambda or Reaper, though - maybe 5th brother in the Gunner's seat and/or Vader?

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Indeed. I suspect she's going to need to do something a bit more to justify a >68 point VT-49 over a 40-50 point Lambda or Reaper, though - maybe 5th brother in the Gunner's seat and/or Vader?

I know someone who ran a Sloane-RAC with Death Troopers; that's a build that doubles down on the stress debuff aspect of Sloane. Alternatively, 7th Sister crew might be good partner; she gives a floating Force for mods or to swap one of the stresses for a different debuff token at range 1. That could indirectly protect the Deci by scaring enemies away from risking range 1 (or by jamming off a focus or stranding them on a rock if they get close).