Sign in to follow this  
TasteTheRainbow

Scum, Imperial, F/O Preview is up!

Posted (edited)

swz66_fifth-brother.pngswz66_vagabond.pngswz66_morna-kee.png

Having three named TIE/v1 is cool, and you can probably make a decent squad of the three of them. The lowest initiative pilot being able to generate an automatic critical is a scary prospect for big ships, too. He's no Maarek "Have A Hull Breach" Stele, but it's still tasty.

I'm not sure if "Vagabond" can do what's advertised in the article*, but a bomber-specific Striker is awesome, and using it after Ailerons movement lets you 'shuffle' a bit, making it akin to a TIE/sa's Nimble Bomber effect. Throw in Skilled Bombardier and he can put those mines in some pretty janky spots.

Morna Kee is potentially scary, because there's no limit to the number of reinforce tokens you can have by the rules; it's just normally impossible to generate them. The turn before the shooting starts, reinforcing rear and then the turn you start firing being double-reinforced front could be impressive, as that's properly into "my torpedoes are barely scratching it!!!!" territory.

swz66_lieutenant-lehuse.pngswz66_captain-phasma.pngswz66_rush.png

Interesting that LeHuse is initiative 5. The First Order has a lot of high initiative pilots, but having the option of 6/5/4 for a trio of tooled S/F is nice. His ability works great with a Targeting Synchroniser, too - something like Rivas with a Targeting Synchroniser can essentially pass the full use of his lock to LeHuse, who can use it to lob double-modified missiles at will.

Phasma would just be a slightly tougher S/F in any other faction. But because this is the "go on, hurt me!" First Order, you've got the option to slope shoulder damage to trigger Fanatical - or "Rush's" ability, making her a good leader who's also harder to kill. 

"Rush" is another affordable pilot who's conditionally Initiative-Amazing. He's not as good as "Null", who is considerably-better-than-you, but he is flying a TIE/vn, meaning by the time his ability 'goes off' he's still as agile, tough and well-armed as a basic Soontir Fel. If he's nice and cheap (by TIE/vn standards!) you've got a seriously dangerous third ship. I'm assuming at I2 he won't have a talent slot, because stacking Fanatical on top of his ability would feel a bit too good!

swz66_bossk.pngswz66_g4r-g0r_vm.pngswz66_nom-lumb.png

Bossk is Bossk. Getting a bonus when launched from the Tooth is cool (though you can't then have Bossk as the YV-666 pilot....). Give him Marksmanship and you've basically got a knock-off Calibrated Laser Targeting. Is he terrifying? No. Is he expensive? I doubt it.

Nom Lumb is nice. There-Is-No-Blind-Spot is pretty impressive, even if it is tied to a pea-shooter of a Jumpmaster's primary-2. Compared to a red rotate or the eye-watering price of agile gunner, it's pretty good.

G4R-GOR is going to be pretty terrifying for shieldless swarms. At I0 you can block even separatist drones or academy pilots, and trying to kill an agility 3, 4-hit ship with primary-2 weapons is going to trigger his ability multiple times, which could eviscerate a swarm.

*from the article:

Since he doesn't mention "even if you've already dropped a device", I'm not sure if this is actually possible....

swz66_diagram_a1.jpg

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Posted (edited)

Vagabond definitely can drop the second device. Rules reference delineates by phase, not turn, for restricting device drops. 

Edit: it actually only restricts to one for the systems phase. Doesn’t look like any restrictions for other phases at all. 

I think these pilots are all pretty fun additions to the game. I love these card packs already. 

Edited by dsul413

First impressions on the Imperials:

I'm not feeling Fifth Brother. It's neat that he follows the pattern of inquisitorial pilots having an ability to deal more damage (and it's a tidy parallel to his crew ability), but on a 2-red-dice ship, hitting in the first place can often be the real challenge. Unless he's a good bit cheaper than Seventh Sister I'd pick her over him every time.

Vagabond is really nasty. His ability lets him weaponise his low initiative just like the action-drop mines in 1.0. Good thing the Striker can't reload. That ship has some reallly good pilots.

Morna Kee: it's really hard to tell how good she is without table time, but although I can see the potential to face off with a front reinforce and switch it back for a next turn flyby, I'd rather have RAC and reinforce every turn and get free mods from it, than have Kee's conditional action economy.

Posted (edited)

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

Vagabond is really nasty. His ability lets him weaponise his low initiative just like the action-drop mines in 1.0. Good thing the Striker can't reload. That ship has some reallly good pilots.

Indeed. The Striker All-Stars look very tempting!

Morna Kee: it's really hard to tell how good she is without table time, but although I can see the potential to face off with a front reinforce and switch it back for a next turn flyby, I'd rather have RAC and reinforce every turn and get free mods from it, than have Kee's conditional action economy.

I think not discarding the token and hence being able to stack multiple reinforces in a single arc are the 'big secret' - yes, double reinforce can't make an attack 'go away', but it does mean an entire squad of 3-dice energy shell attacks is capped at a single point of damage each....

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Posted (edited)

Well, she reinforces the rear on the turn before engagement then next turn, she's reinforced on the front and gets a Lock action, and along with Fifth Brother crew that's very good.

Also, retaining an excess green token is useful insurance against Jam and Mag-Pulse Missiles, which would ruin Chiraneau.

Edited by Rossetti1828

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

I'm not feeling Fifth Brother. It's neat that he follows the pattern of inquisitorial pilots having an ability to deal more damage (and it's a tidy parallel to his crew ability), but on a 2-red-dice ship, hitting in the first place can often be the real challenge. Unless he's a good bit cheaper than Seventh Sister I'd pick her over him every time.

His ability works on missile attacks as well. I think that will make him very useful, especially paired with Jendon.

Edited by Something Wicked

9 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

If she's cheap enough, she might be good, as you don't really need the title on her. Or you could use her in double Deci lists 😀

It should be possible to have 2 reinforce tokens though, or am I wrong?

But I think RAC is better in many cases.

For the First Order pilots:

LeHuse isn't very exciting but could fit nicely with /sf Passive Sensor missile squads.

Rush does the distinctive First Order thing of punishing enemies for hurting him. I could see a squad of Quickdraw, Tavson and Rush built for it. Shoot Quickdraw - bonus attack. Shoot Tavson - free action. Shoot Rush - turn him initiative 6.

On that note, Phasma can be a pretty good enabler for either Quickdraw or Rush's abilities, although sticking close enough (especially to Rush) might be awkward.

15 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

You don't have to hit with Fifth Brother, you just have to perform an attack that still includes the Neutralize Results step.  That's why the article high-lighted using him in conjunction with Homing Missiles.  Even if the defender decides to take the guaranteed damage, you only skip the dice rolling steps but still perform the Neutralize Results step.  Basically any time Fifth Brother has two force when he attacks, he can guarantee a crit to go through.

4 minutes ago, Tobbert said:

It should be possible to have 2 reinforce tokens though, or am I wrong?

Yes. Morna can have double Reinforce by spreading the actions of 2 turns and spending a charge in the first turn's End Phase.

1 minute ago, Asaverino1019 said:

You don't have to hit with Fifth Brother, you just have to perform an attack that still includes the Neutralize Results step.  That's why the article high-lighted using him in conjunction with Homing Missiles.  Even if the defender decides to take the guaranteed damage, you only skip the dice rolling steps but still perform the Neutralize Results step.  Basically any time Fifth Brother has two force when he attacks, he can guarantee a crit to go through.

The ability does specifically require a hit, homing missiles will indeed be gnarly on him if he works as advertised, though.  Looking forward to running some triple V1 Ace lists!

Bossk is Bossk. Nom is the most polite combatant on the field asking the opponent "Where do you want me to be aiming?". The last ship that shot at them sets Nom's arc for Nom's attack. I'm pretty sure that how this is a bad thing should be obvious, especially for an I1. G4R-G0R "looks" fun, but with the range 0 limit (has to be in base contact) on his AOE you're going to be aiming to trade him against another, more expensive, ship or hope what he's blocked is too valuable for your opponent to damage as collateral. If G4R does "block" a swarm then that swarm will be down 1 ship, maybe 2 if you were able to get 2 to end up in base contact with him. Even a 2 die primary is rolling 3 reds at range 1, so G4R is very likely gone after one round of shooting from a swarm.

Fifth brother is interesting but his gunner card is probably the most efficient force gunner in the game.  

Scum though got some nice stuff the JmK addresses one of the core weaknesses of ship and the scyk looks fun.  

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Bossk is Bossk. Nom is the most polite combatant on the field asking the opponent "Where do you want me to be aiming?". The last ship that shot at them sets Nom's arc for Nom's attack. I'm pretty sure that how this is a bad thing should be obvious, especially for an I1. [...]

Yeah, Nom is flawed, but I hope it signage a significant point decreases for the JM5Ks and fingers crossed for some more upgrade slots.

Do you think G4R with Autoblaster and maybe Afterburners makes sense, to close into range 0/1 but not be too pricy?

Bossk will be fine if he's 29 points or less.

Can't wait for the points change, starting to get excited for the next meta.

1 minute ago, PhantomFO said:

G4R-GOR finally provides a reason to field R5-TK in your squad.

That's disgusting. Throw away 30+ points, estimating based on current point costs and that it very doubtful G4R will cost less than Sunny, to deal 1 damage. R5-TK is still a trash upgrade and G4R doesn't change that.

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

That's disgusting. Throw away 30+ points, estimating based on current point costs and that it very doubtful G4R will cost less than Sunny, to deal 1 damage. R5-TK is still a trash upgrade and G4R doesn't change that.

Might not be with Clusters and Munitions Failsafe. Throw in Jostero to trigger off G4R, and you might have a damaging little combo. 

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

I could easily see it slotting in at 27-29 points, as it's both IN0 and has Calculate instead of Focus.

Plus, R5-TK is a free upgrade, so stick it on a Y-Wing and call it good. You'd probably also want Jostero in this squad, as G4R seems like a good way to trigger his ability. Jostero, Kavil with a Dorsal turret, and a 30-point G4R come in at 118 points, leaving you with 82ish points to add even more Scummy tricks.