maniakmedic

Marvel Champions' and other LCG's futures

With Andrew Navaro moving on, how do you guys think that's going to affect the future of Marvel Champions specifically and the other FFG games generally? Obviously a lot of stuff has already been in development for a while, so any changes from whoever the new Head of Studio is will likely appear after the stuff that has finished development but hasn't yet finished production finally make it to distribution.

More broadly I wonder how this will affect any new LCG development. There are definitely some properties that I'd love to see come out as LCGs. It's likely too old to be considered, but I'd be all over an X Files LCG. Also, this might be a little out there, but a cooperative Riddick LCG with a big campaign against the Necromongers kind of like how Arkham Horror LCG works would be awesome (the whole Necromonger cult would be crazy interesting to explore and fight against, not to mention the ability to make one-off scenarios based on individual planets like the ones from Pitch Black or Riddick).

53 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

I'd love a Star Trek LCG. There's loads of source material, and could lend itself quite well to a cooperative game.

I loved the Decipher Star Trek CCG back in the day, I'd enjoy a new Trek based game.

Star Trek would be great and of all the IPs listed so far in this thread seems the only one likely to get a game (sadly the performance of the last X-files seasons probably means that one is out :( )  

LCGs have proven profitable, I would count on more coming out eventually 

5 hours ago, maniakmedic said:

Dune could be a possibility with the new movie coming out and an RPG from Modiphius in the works.

They don’t have the Dune license, which is why they created Rex.

I don’t know why they would attempt to revive otherwise dormant properties (X-files, Star Trek). **** Tracy or Conan the Barbarian seems just as (un)likely.

Edited by Derrault

I know they lost the Netrunner license, but Android is still their IP and I would be psyched to see a co-op LCG in that setting. 

If I was really getting silly I'd say I want a fantasy LCG that kinda cribs off of 7th Continent....each pack/box would have  map cards that would have different actions available on them.  Could have an ever-expanding, connected world with different terrains, dungeons/caves to enter, cities, etc.  could even have different layers of the same terrain (sewers, streets, rooftops) or events that change/replace the terrain temporarily or permanently (a flood, earthquake or forest fire).  Each pack could also include new loot, spells, skills, allies to grow the characters....Pipe dream probably, but would be cool.  As for setting, I like the Faerun suggestion by Damenwood, but I think Tarliyn is right and it would be Terrinoth...though they have done some stuff with The Witcher before and that world could be a good fit as well (not to mention enjoying a good deal of popularity at the moment).

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that a co-op Star Wars LCG might pop up one of these days.  The Arkham and LotR games (and now Marvel Champs) seem to be very successful, and the old Star Wars LCG was originally designed as co-op, so who knows??

I personally think it would be a blast - so much room for individual scenarios or a campaign mode!  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Daft Blazer said:

Star Trek isn’t a dormant property.

One niche tv show (only available on a pay to stream service) and a separate timeline movie series that’s not expecting a 4th title.

Am I missing something?

Edited by Derrault

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

One niche tv show (only available on a pay to stream service) and a separate timeline movie series that’s not expecting a 4th title.

Am I missing something?

Yes - a second show starting this month, at least two more announced, and a very loyal fan base.

Plus, Discovery is much more widely available outside the US.

8 hours ago, pixcalcis said:

Right.... so it isn’t dormant.

I mean, the movie is cancelled. And the only current show is only available in the US on a single streaming platform. Guess what else is based in the US: FFG.

7 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

Yes - a second show starting this month, at least two more announced, and a very loyal fan base.

Plus, Discovery is much more widely available outside the US.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m somewhat interested in new show for Picard now that you’ve reminded me it exists... but I’d sooner see one based on the Orville, a far more cthere already exist(ed) a CCG covering basically every series.

Oh, and Rittenhouse has the worldwide license for Star Trek card games. So...

Posted (edited)

FFG seems more risk averse now though IMO.  So while they have been burnt by losing licenses in the past they still seem to be going hard into licensed properties (Marvel, LOTR, ASOIAF, Star Wars).  Those things definitely seem to be their big sellers. Don't get me wrong.  I'd love more stuff released either in the Twilight Imperium or Android setting.  Especially the Android setting.  The only one of their in house properties they exploit to Star Wars levels is Arkham Horror.  I'm honestly surprised they haven't leveraged L5R more now that they own that property. 

If they can they need to leverage that Conquest system.  It was so good.  Going back and designing cards with experience now for that system would probably be very successful.  It's almost as big a crime as Netrunner (as a card game system) currently being not officially supported.  Mostly what held Conquest back was logistics (release delays) and some early card design balance issues.  This was before FFG was more liberal with banning and restricting cards.  So they just tried to balance factions by adding rather than subtracting, which was a bit frustrating.  Now the designers are less shy about just banning a card if it is doing more harm than good to the game.

Edited by phillos

7 hours ago, player2142998 said:

7th Sea!

Owned by John Wick himself, although he's now fulfilling the Kickstarters through Chaosium, IIRC.

I'd personally like to see Battletech revisited, but seems unlikely, due to Hasbro.

If I had a choice of a thing to do with L5R, I'd do some sort of version of Terraforming Mars as a game of the Empire of The Emerald Stars setting.