Sign in to follow this  
ewardell

New faction core set ideas

5 hours ago, sigidi said:

Well that is definitely a good point.. FFG does seem to have a little problem keeping up. Some of these were announced as far back as August

upcoming.jpg

Yea they keep announcing more stuff but the releases seem to be getting slower. There is no point piling more into the back log until things improve.

I love the idea of Jabba being a commander that has little to no actual attack value himself, but provides big buffs to his crew. He'd be a big, slow target you had to protect, which would be an interesting and different play style to explore.

I probably wouldn't run him every battle, but he'd be a fun option for something a little different.

Plus, since he was in Episode I and Episode VI, he's completely appropriate for both eras. Scum commander Jabba is a great idea. 

13 hours ago, GooeyChewie said:

Of course, in the end it doesn’t matter how well Jabba would fit as a commander.  He’ll make it in for the same reason that Palpatine did - he’s a character players would recognize and want to use

I want no character more in the game than Jabba. The only Star Wars character I like more than him I already have two versions of. And I wouldn‘t care how he‘d fit. 

I guess I am the target group you describe. 

I‘d love some Gamorreans too. 

Although I could imagine Jabba on his own as a commander I wonder if a terrain expansion would be cooler because he could have his throne and pet too. That fits the more iconic version of Jabba more.

So... if not Jabba in a scum starter as commander, any ideas who would be a good candidate?

10 minutes ago, ewardell said:

Although I could imagine Jabba on his own as a commander I wonder if a terrain expansion would be cooler because he could have his throne and pet too. That fits the more iconic version of Jabba more.

So... if not Jabba in a scum starter as commander, any ideas who would be a good candidate?

Java is more mobile in the Clone wars cartoon, since they weren't as limited to animatronics. That could also be offered as an alternative con exclusive sculpt, or the default sculpt and give him immobile. Or maybe his throne has repulsor lifts in it. 

Maul as the leader of the Shadow Collective/Crimson Dawn criminal factions would also work.

47 minutes ago, ewardell said:

Im not sure if it would be great for a starter, but prince xizor has a nice story line

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ewardell said:

Hondo?

He interacted with republic, cis, worked for rebellion, empire, and of course for himself. He could be a good candidat for a scum leader

Edited by Krakus

18 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

The only battle I know he participates in AT all directly is one burst of force lightning. A big one, but still.

He fights against Mace Windu + several Jedi Knights, Luke Skywalker, Darth Maul and his brother. And these are just the fights in the movies and the clone wars series 😉

1 hour ago, Staelwulf said:

He fights against Mace Windu + several Jedi Knights, Luke Skywalker, Darth Maul and his brother. And these are just the fights in the movies and the clone wars series 😉

and none of those happen when he is in the Empire, he is a lot more active in the clone wars than the GCW

While i am all for adding new factions or even sub factions, the biggest problem that they are gonna run into is giving the new factions abilities. It is super easy to make miniatures but to make them all unique is the problem, if you look at 40k they have so many armys but so many of them do the same thing, and it is just a cosmetic thing. They are working really hard to make each faction different with out a power creep, and adding three or more new factions would just muddy the water right now.

3 hours ago, Staelwulf said:

Those aren't part of battles. So we have nothing where he fights alongside, or directly leads a platoon sized force. There are episodes of Clone Wars that have Jabba equally present for fights.

I would make a starter neutral faction truly neutral. Ie, don't make it the "cross pollination" faction. Most of the reason I want them is pure cosmetics, which is a very valid reason in minis gaming. So instead giving us scummy looking units for pre-existing factions is probably better.

12 hours ago, ewardell said:

Hondo is the most logical choice, but seeing how core sets like to feature lightsabers I think Old Man Maul with cyber legs is pretty likely too.

3 hours ago, videogamer003 said:

While i am all for adding new factions or even sub factions, the biggest problem that they are gonna run into is giving the new factions abilities. It is super easy to make miniatures but to make them all unique is the problem, if you look at 40k they have so many armys but so many of them do the same thing, and it is just a cosmetic thing. They are working really hard to make each faction different with out a power creep, and adding three or more new factions would just muddy the water right now.

I would be ok if scum units wind up mirroring units from other factions in a mix. Like a unit that is identical to rebel troopers except cosmetic, a unit identical to shores except cosmetic, etc. 

The heroes need to be unique, sure, but that’s a lot easier to design than a whole army.

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I would make a starter neutral faction truly neutral. Ie, don't make it the "cross pollination" faction. Most of the reason I want them is pure cosmetics, which is a very valid reason in minis gaming. So instead giving us scummy looking units for pre-existing factions is probably better.

I’d compromise with this. Give our existing armies some Mandalorians, some seedy mercenary unit of Weequays and other aliens, etc. and I’d be pretty happy too.

Those are great points about not necessarily needing unique abilities for scum but allowing them to be cosmetic and subfactionable with existing armies. I think it would be nice to add Jawas or sandpeople to existing armies or something like that. 

On 12/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, ewardell said:

I imagine FFG will release more core sets in some form for new factions in the future and now episode 9 and Mandalorian season 1 are wrapped so... 

What are your ideas for core sets for possible factions?

Mine are:

First Order = Kylo Ren, x2 FO Stormtroopers, Treadspeeders

Resistance = Poe Dameron (Rey seems operative to me), x2 Resistance Troopers, Orbak riders

Scum = Jabba the Hutt, x2 Jabba's gangsters (assortment of aliens), Bounty Hunter's Guild swoop riders

We are several years out from any new factions. 

Don't get your hopes up.

26 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

We are several years out from any new factions. 

Don't get your hopes up.

You assume. Based purely on the release schedule so far, it could be as little as a year and a half. Do I think it will be? Probably not. But I wouldn't have guessed Clone Wars would show up less than 2 years after the initial release, either. 

On 12/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, EVIL INC said:

Could also include cards in the set for current bounty hunters or put in an addendum saying which ones could be in scum. maybe even give them variant items or rules when working with scum as imperials might normally frown upon some tactics or illegal items.

Perhaps letting Boba Fett not be limited by 'No Disintegrations'?

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

You assume. Based purely on the release schedule so far, it could be as little as a year and a half. Do I think it will be? Probably not. But I wouldn't have guessed Clone Wars would show up less than 2 years after the initial release, either. 

Based on the release schedule so far, we are significantly more than a year and half away from a new faction. The Clone Wars starter was only released after GCW factions had five Commanders, two Operatives, three Corps, 3.5 Special Forces (counting the strike team as .5), three Support (intended), and two Heavy units. The release of the Clone Wars units has thus far been significantly delayed, and not just by the continuing release of GCW units. 

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

Not assume. It's been confirmed by FFG for us not to expect the sequel factions anytime soon. 

I remember there was several speculation threads about sequel factions becoming a thing. Then during a live stream, FFG addressed the question. 

I say at least 2 years maybe even longer.

Maybe a Mandalorian faction given how much traction the show is getting, but we need more content first. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

Not assume. It's been confirmed by FFG for us not to expect the sequel factions anytime soon. 

I remember there was several speculation threads about sequel factions becoming a thing. Then during a live stream, FFG addressed the question. 

Maybe a Mandalorian faction given how much traction the show is getting, but we need more content first. 

Given Disney won't have any merchandise of The Child until March (?), there doesn't seem to be a lot of coordination between merchandise and media for Mandalorian at least. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

The earliest that i would expect an announcement would be Gen Con this year with a release Gen con 2021.  I think a Scum faction makes the most sense due to only needing to add units for a single faction. 

That being said it might be better if they do what they did with the clone wars in X-Wing and release faction starter kits. These would include a commander and 2 corps, all the faction specific cards you need + the 4 generic command cards.  There would be a support released along side it to give the same number of unit choices that a half core set gives you.

This is all just speculation and ideas. Fans of the movies/books and wargaming  talking about what could be done and what could make sense. Confirmed or not, we have seen what is said in live streams and what actually happens do not always match.

No need to get overly excited one way or the other.

29 minutes ago, EVIL INC said:

This is all just speculation and ideas. Fans of the movies/books and wargaming  talking about what could be done and what could make sense. Confirmed or not, we have seen what is said in live streams and what actually happens do not always match.

No need to get overly excited one way or the other.

But getting excited about things that aren’t real, or that are speculative is exciting!