Sign in to follow this  
ewardell

New faction core set ideas

I imagine FFG will release more core sets in some form for new factions in the future and now episode 9 and Mandalorian season 1 are wrapped so... 

What are your ideas for core sets for possible factions?

Mine are:

First Order = Kylo Ren, x2 FO Stormtroopers, Treadspeeders

Resistance = Poe Dameron (Rey seems operative to me), x2 Resistance Troopers, Orbak riders

Scum = Jabba the Hutt, x2 Jabba's gangsters (assortment of aliens), Bounty Hunter's Guild swoop riders

This is how I would do a "Scum" starter set.  I would start by making scum the "faction of subfactions" by releasing generic scum corps, support, and special forces.  I would then release a "Scum" starter set with the Hutts sub faction and a Mandalorian sub faction.  The set would contain Jabba, and Gammorrean Guards for the Hutt Faction, Gar Saxon( or any of the other Mandalorian leaders), and Death Watch troopers for the Mandalorian sub faction, and 2 units of Scum Mercenaries and Swoop riders as generic scum units that could be used by either subfaction.  I would do it this way because as we move on any new faction will find it harder and harder to catch up to the existing factions.  To have a starter like this a new scum player would immediately have access to 4 different units in the core set while each Generic scum release would increase the options of all of the sub factions.  With Jabba the Hutt it fills the roll of scum in the GCW era and it would be units that are recognizable from the movies.  The Mandalorians would cover the hype of the new show as well as introduce a Clone wars era Scum faction for those who care about timeline continuity.

2 hours ago, jcmonson said:

This is how I would do a "Scum" starter set.  I would start by making scum the "faction of subfactions" by releasing generic scum corps, support, and special forces.  I would then release a "Scum" starter set with the Hutts sub faction and a Mandalorian sub faction.  The set would contain Jabba, and Gammorrean Guards for the Hutt Faction, Gar Saxon( or any of the other Mandalorian leaders), and Death Watch troopers for the Mandalorian sub faction, and 2 units of Scum Mercenaries and Swoop riders as generic scum units that could be used by either subfaction.  I would do it this way because as we move on any new faction will find it harder and harder to catch up to the existing factions.  To have a starter like this a new scum player would immediately have access to 4 different units in the core set while each Generic scum release would increase the options of all of the sub factions.  With Jabba the Hutt it fills the roll of scum in the GCW era and it would be units that are recognizable from the movies.  The Mandalorians would cover the hype of the new show as well as introduce a Clone wars era Scum faction for those who care about timeline continuity.

you could do that or just release a $50-60 core set of Hondo(or Dryden Voss, Ziton Moj, Darth Maul or whoever you like ), 2 sets of scum troopers and a swoop bike and people would still buy it in spades. Release everything else individually.  Honestly, a scum or merc faction would've sold better than clone wars and the starter set is a crutch that actually hampers sales.  If FFG wasn't so burned on that fantasy game they made, they would have had starter sets for each faction anyway instead of the combined factions

8 hours ago, Docgimmethenews said:

Scum would release as it's own thing...if they ever do a scum...big if.

I mean considering that they specifically called out the Mandalorian being a source of possible units when asked about Scum it is the most likely next faction. Even more so with them talking about subfactions various places as well; that said I don't expect to see them until 2021 at the earliest unless they announce them at Gencon for a 2021 release rather than ideally spending this year to pump out stuff for the PT factions. 

10 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

The core sets have lightsaber users in both sides, so Rey would be commander in FO core set.

Just because that's what we got in the first two cores doesn't mean FFG must stick with that. Poe makes more sense as a commander. The factions don't have to be mirrors out of the box. I'd rather have Poe and Phasma (or Finn I guess if they wanted that thematic rivalry) as starting commanders over Rey and Kylo.

11 hours ago, buckero0 said:

and the starter set is a crutch that actually hampers sales. 

Do you ahve any proof of this? EVERYONE suggests buying starter sets to enter the game. I shared THREE CW starter sets and have yet to buy any kind of separate box.

4 hours ago, Dcalov said:

Just because that's what we got in the first two cores doesn't mean FFG must stick with that. Poe makes more sense as a commander. The factions don't have to be mirrors out of the box. I'd rather have Poe and Phasma (or Finn I guess if they wanted that thematic rivalry) as starting commanders over Rey and Kylo.

Rey is the protagonist of the sequels and Kylo Ren is the antagonist, so of course I'll expect them to be the commanders of a sequel core set.

21 minutes ago, Staelwulf said:

Jabba as a commander doesn't fit. I can't imagine Jabba on the frontlines leading troops. This would be really out if character for him. He is a crime lord who pulls the strings from his comfy throne.

So is palpatine, but here we are. Both in legion as Imperial Assault. IA had a good solution for Jabba too, letting him influence others to do his bidding. 

1 hour ago, Vector Strike said:

Do you ahve any proof of this? EVERYONE suggests buying starter sets to enter the game. I shared THREE CW starter sets and have yet to buy any kind of separate box.

Rey is the protagonist of the sequels and Kylo Ren is the antagonist, so of course I'll expect them to be the commanders of a sequel core set.

I agree that it should be Rey vs. Kylo as the core box (if they follow the pattern). If people feel that Rey and Kylo aren't commanders then I would like to see Finn across from Phasma and then get Kylo and Rey as first operatives. I think that eventually we should have two of each like Vader and Luke... operatives from the beginning of the trilogy and Commanders from the end. 

27 minutes ago, sigidi said:

So is palpatine, but here we are. Both in legion as Imperial Assault. IA had a good solution for Jabba too, letting him influence others to do his bidding. 

Not really, Palpatine fights in multiple battles himself and can easily hold his ground. While he doesn't fight in open battles, he also doesn't shy away to get his hands dirty when needed. So it could be possible for him to appear in battle.

Jabba on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Staelwulf said:

Not really, Palpatine fights in multiple battles himself and can easily hold his ground. While he doesn't fight in open battles, he also doesn't shy away to get his hands dirty when needed. So it could be possible for him to appear in battle.

kidnaps several of the rebellions leadership and attempts to execute them. He also openly taunts Vader.  Those don't seem like actions of someone who is afraid to get their hands dirty.

I guess we use different definitions for the phrase "getting your hands dirty". Cause to me that means that you are doing something yourself / physical labour. Taunting someone and getting others to do some kidnapping for you has nothing to do with "getting your hands dirty".

These actions/characteristics you described makes him a good crime lord who works behind the scenes they have nothing to do with him being a potential commander on the field.

I'd like to see core sets around the Rogue One setting. Maybe someone like Saw Gerrera with a band of 'non-conventional' rebels and maybe some Imperial Army troopers on the other side, rather than stormtroopers. The Star Wars galaxy is a really huge place with millions of inhabited worlds in it. Lots and lots of room to play.

17 hours ago, buckero0 said:

you could do that or just release a $50-60 core set of Hondo(or Dryden Voss, Ziton Moj, Darth Maul or whoever you like ), 2 sets of scum troopers and a swoop bike and people would still buy it in spades. Release everything else individually.  Honestly, a scum or merc faction would've sold better than clone wars and the starter set is a crutch that actually hampers sales.  If FFG wasn't so burned on that fantasy game they made, they would have had starter sets for each faction anyway instead of the combined factions

They’re dabbling a bit back in that world with xwing. The clone wars factions there got squadron packs of 3 ships (like an xwing core set content) plus a bunch of cards and cardboard.

Honestly, I hope they do something like your plan for scum in Legion. I have too many armies already but I’d be hard pressed to say no to the scum when I can have so much fun painting them diversely.

28 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

They’re dabbling a bit back in that world with xwing. The clone wars factions there got squadron packs of 3 ships (like an xwing core set content) plus a bunch of cards and cardboard.

Honestly, I hope they do something like your plan for scum in Legion. I have too many armies already but I’d be hard pressed to say no to the scum when I can have so much fun painting them diversely.

I would dump all my other armies for a scum army in a heart beat.  I never played X-wing til they released a scum faction. 

6 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

Do you have proof that it doesn't?

Let's see ... should i buy $100 into a game I've never played and don't know if will be supported here locally and be stuck with half of these models I don't like 

or

Let me spend $50 get exactly what I want from the faction I want and everything I need to play in this one set.  Then all I have to do is find when they play my game.

You're assuming you have someone to share with or that I have some one to share with.  How many more would they have  sold if you didnt' have to find someone to share with and you could just buy what you wanted at a cheaper price

I wouldnt put jabba in a starter set. I would do him as an expansion for folks who want to have him or for battles in his area. BUT, his would definately be a faction I would include in a starter. You could look through the fluff to find one of his commanders to flesh out or create one for him. Possibly upgrade one of the guys in the movies that you see and does not have a backstory for.

3 hours ago, Staelwulf said:

I guess we use different definitions for the phrase "getting your hands dirty". Cause to me that means that you are doing something yourself / physical labour. Taunting someone and getting others to do some kidnapping for you has nothing to do with "getting your hands dirty".

These actions/characteristics you described makes him a good crime lord who works behind the scenes they have nothing to do with him being a potential commander on the field.

Doing something yourself, like personally visiting a docking bay with a bunch of goons (core units) and Boba Fett (Operative) to collect a debt?  While Palpatine presents the greater personal threat, I think Jabba is the one more likely to personally show up trying to sabotage your moisture vaporators (you should have paid that protection money!).

As sigidi said, in Imperial Assault he doesn’t do much directly; he instead boosts all the models around him.  I figure he could have something similar to (or exactly the same as) Palpatine’s “Pulling the Strings” ability.  Maybe Compel as well?

Of course, in the end it doesn’t matter how well Jabba would fit as a commander.  He’ll make it in for the same reason that Palpatine did - he’s a character players would recognize and want to use.

Could also include cards in the set for current bounty hunters or put in an addendum saying which ones could be in scum. maybe even give them variant items or rules when working with scum as imperials might normally frown upon some tactics or illegal items.

All the operatives for the factions out so far have worked for an illegal crime organization at aome point in their lives/history, but Bossk and Boba should for sure have command cards for their Merc faction.

I think IG series droid could get a release as well and the command cards could vary based on which one is being portrayed.

1 hour ago, XR8rGREAT said:

How about we just get the clone wars stuff fleshed out somewhat first. 

Well that is definitely a good point.. FFG does seem to have a little problem keeping up. Some of these were announced as far back as August

upcoming.jpg

10 hours ago, Staelwulf said:

The only battle I know he participates in AT all directly is one burst of force lightning. A big one, but still.

Jabba could easily have no attack, be slow and be all about buffing/modifying your other units. Give him Pulling the Strings and it would fit fine.