Sign in to follow this  
Kramerr

Is Armada dying ??

1 hour ago, geek19 said:

Wait, we're hating on Chuck Norris now? Sweet deal! He's overrated and Bruce Lee could kick his butt from here to Texas. 

Well, I think Chuck Norris might have the advantage due to the fact that of the two, he's the only one currently alive.

Now if we were talking the two of them in their primes?

Bruce Lee absolutely wins, Chuck was one of his students. Chuck to this day, or at least an interview some years ago, says that he's never seen anyone move as fast as Bruce.

On 3/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, IronNerd said:

... the whole hobby/board game industry could look VERY different when this is all over.

EVERYTHING could look very different when this is all over.

Can you guys EVER remember an entire state (let alone several of them) shutting all of their schools down for weeks (which I suspect may turn into months)? Mandatory non-essential business closures? My 73 year old mother can’t remember anything like this. There’s going to have to be a lot of debt forgiveness and federal aid if this goes on for very long, or a lot of people and businesses are going to be in very rough shape.

4 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Can you guys EVER remember an entire state (let alone several of them) shutting all of their schools down for weeks (which I suspect may turn into months)? Mandatory non-essential business closures? My 73 year old mother can’t remember anything like this.

Chances are that those who are saying that nothing like this has happened in living memory aren't far off. Because the last time something like this happened, it was 1918, there was a small scrap going on in Europe, and this little thing called Spanish Flu was starting to bounce around.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Can you guys EVER remember an entire state (let alone several of them) shutting all of their schools down for weeks (which I suspect may turn into months)? Mandatory non-essential business closures? My 73 year old mother can’t remember anything like this. There’s going to have to be a lot of debt forgiveness and federal aid if this goes on for very long, or a lot of people and businesses are going to be in very rough shape.

13 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Chances are that those who are saying that nothing like this has happened in living memory aren't far off. Because the last time something like this happened, it was 1918, there was a small scrap going on in Europe, and this little thing called Spanish Flu was starting to bounce around.

Correct, nothing like this has happened in living memory.  With the H1N1 outbreak of 2009, at its worst "only" 729 K-12 US schools were closed, and these were ones that closed in response to a student that attended having tested positive for H1N1 (Strern, Cetron, and Markel 2009).  During the 1918 -1919 influenza pandemic, many city districts did close K-12 schools.  If you're not faint of heart, here's a rather chilling account of the Horrific 1918 Flu in America written in Nov 2017, which rings all too close to home in the current moment (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/?fbclid=IwAR3FNfx2PXeunw36PQIPhRoQ8lZOEBALuKaoZFUEm5VqJEjsmDw3CVRULoo).   

But this current scale of school closure--which is impacting I believe over 100,000 schools on top of all the colleges and universities that have moved entirely to remote learning and encouraged their students to return home--is unprecedented, as far as I'm aware, though I'm not a Public Health historian.   And while 1918-1919 saw some businesses having their hours staggered or restricted in certain areas, we now have entire industries that have been shut down (sports, entertainment, tourism, restaurants/bars).   

This is a life-altering event, and we're facing a generational moment that may well turn out to be on the scale of the Great Depression or WWII.  Like those defining moments, sacrifices and shifts of our behavior are being asked and expected of us for the restoration of the common good.  It will alter life in a variety of ways, and we'll probably be telling grandchildren about life pre/during/post COVID-19.

Edited by EBerling

If we are talking seriously though it’s doing worse in my part of Aus than ever. We’ve had plenty of ups and downs in line with everyone else from day 1 with the terrible release schedule and delays but it usually comes back for primes each year. 

This year we got two new ships right before prime so keen as a bean I headed to two prime events. Neither got to a double digit. That’s a new and disturbing trend. 

im hoping that clone wars does for Armada what it did for legion in bringing a huge influx of players. But it that doesn’t work I think it’s completely done in my part of the world. It’ll just be us last few faithfuls playing in the garage with no wider community. 

1 hour ago, beefcake4000 said:

If we are talking seriously though it’s doing worse in my part of Aus than ever. We’ve had plenty of ups and downs in line with everyone else from day 1 with the terrible release schedule and delays but it usually comes back for primes each year. 

This year we got two new ships right before prime so keen as a bean I headed to two prime events. Neither got to a double digit. That’s a new and disturbing trend. 

im hoping that clone wars does for Armada what it did for legion in bringing a huge influx of players. But it that doesn’t work I think it’s completely done in my part of the world. It’ll just be us last few faithfuls playing in the garage with no wider community. 

Where in aus r u if you dont mind me asking? Im midway between sydney and newcastle essentially.

But yes i agree, over here its slowly fading despite my best efforts. In my community were steady but as one person joins another leaves.

2 hours ago, beefcake4000 said:

I'm certain that Clone Wars Armada will significantly expand Armada's community and probably convince many players to return.

When Clone Wars Legion was released, I saw a lot of new faces playing Legion at my LGS. Most of them were younger than me, so despite the Prequels being lackluster at best, it nevertheless created a new generation of Star Wars fans, and Clone Wars content does appeal to them.

Also, when FFG announced that Disney had renewed their SW license agreement, supposedly Disney commented FFG's line-up for the next 3 years was the strongest they've ever seen. I wish I knew what FFG was planning!

For those reasons, I'm optimistic about Armada's future -- and desperate to learn anything about Clone Wars Armada!

Come on, FFG, we could really use some good news right now!

23 hours ago, Reavern said:

I'm certain that Clone Wars Armada will significantly expand Armada's community and probably convince many players to return.

When Clone Wars Legion was released, I saw a lot of new faces playing Legion at my LGS. Most of them were younger than me, so despite the Prequels being lackluster at best, it nevertheless created a new generation of Star Wars fans, and Clone Wars content does appeal to them.

Also, when FFG announced that Disney had renewed their SW license agreement, supposedly Disney commented FFG's line-up for the next 3 years was the strongest they've ever seen. I wish I knew what FFG was planning!

For those reasons, I'm optimistic about Armada's future -- and desperate to learn anything about Clone Wars Armada!

I’m excited for Clone Wars Armada for basically the same reasons; the source material doesn’t excite me that much, but it can’t be bad for the game to appeal to a wider fan base. 

That said, I doubt anyone is even in the FFG offices right now. So I wouldn’t expect news of any kind for a long while.

1 hour ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I’m excited for Clone Wars Armada for basically the same reasons; the source material doesn’t excite me that much, but it can’t be bad for the game to appeal to a wider fan base. 

That said, I doubt anyone is even in the FFG offices right now. So I wouldn’t expect news of any kind for a long while.

They're presumably be working from home, like most people, but still working.

FFG could still make announcements and previews, if they wanted to. It's not that difficult to conference multiple people into a video and cut in promo pics of what they're talking about, just like they do normally.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:10 AM, Reavern said:

13 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

11 hours ago, Reavern said:

They're presumably be working from home, like most people, but still working.

FFG could still make announcements and previews, if they wanted to. 

But FFG is still posting News Article as if it's business-as-usual, aren't they?  Looking at the news archives, there's an article for each weekday, just like normal.   Granted, they aren't about Armada and instead they're all covering Legion, L5R, or Marvel Champions... but that's nothing out of the ordinary.  

18 minutes ago, EBerling said:

But FFG is still posting News Article as if it's business-as-usual, aren't they?  Looking at the news archives, there's an article for each weekday, just like normal.   Granted, they aren't about Armada and instead they're all covering Legion, L5R, or Marvel Champions... but that's nothing out of the ordinary.  

My point is that with Adepticon cancelled and the possibility of GenCon being cancelled, FFG will have lost the major board gaming conventions wherein they'd normally announce new board games, like Clone Wars Armada.

If FFG was planning to announce ANY information about CWA at Adepticon, they should just go ahead and release that info.

I suppose FFG is waiting to see what happens with GenCon, but if the crisis continues, GenCon 2020 will probably be cancelled too.

18 minutes ago, Reavern said:

If FFG was planning to announce ANY information about CWA at Adepticon, they should just go ahead and release that info.

On the Legion stream a week or so ago they said they'd be finding a way to run their Adepticon panel, even if it was just streaming something on Twitch.

But that was then.

I’m just saying, I believe in maximum communication with the customer. Give them every reason to be interested in your product. ****, I think the fact that the Armada marketing team hasn’t been writing a minimum of two hype/strategy/upcoming plans/whatever articles each month for years now is absolutely inexcusable. But even *I* wouldn’t be promising ANYTHING right now. There’s a very good chance CWA might be delayed for months or years, and just smiling along and pretending that might not happen would make them look feckless and silly.

34 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I’m just saying, I believe in maximum communication with the customer. Give them every reason to be interested in your product. ****, I think the fact that the Armada marketing team hasn’t been writing a minimum of two hype/strategy/upcoming plans/whatever articles each month for years now is absolutely inexcusable. But even *I* wouldn’t be promising ANYTHING right now. There’s a very good chance CWA might be delayed for months or years, and just smiling along and pretending that might not happen would make them look feckless and silly.

I agree. FFG not acknowledging the probability of Clone Wars Armada being delayed is confusing and raises more questions and concerns than the delay would cause. Everyone would understand if CWA is delayed, but FFG telling it's still on track for a Q4 2020 release is just baffling.

What consumers want more than anything these days is transparency.

I understand that FFG prefers to make major announcements during board game conventions, and companies are reluctant to report any bad news because it could effect their stock price. It's that mentality that infuriates consumers -- and people in general. (The Chinese government's reluctance to admit COVID-19 existed and take action to contain it is largely responsible for the pandemic; all for the sake of trying to maintain their government's illusion of absolute control and infallibility. TBF many governments choose to deny and reject reality, to the harm of their own citizens and innocent people around the world; but China is most responsible in this instance.)

I wish that FFG would buck this trend and just be honest with us. Tell us if Clone Wars Armada will be delayed if the crisis isn't resolved soon. And reveal whatever they have about CWA to provide us with some much needed good news.

They may not know anything yet. Or nothing helpful, anyway.

I work in a seasonal restaurant (April-November) in a tourist area. We’re supposed to be opening April 10th. We honestly have no idea whether that’s still feasible, or even advisable, and it may turn out to not be a legal option at this point. We have customers, and even other employees, clamoring for information, but we don’t want to tell them, “Sure, it’s happening! See you in mid-April!” nor make any announcement that it isn’t happening, because we just don’t know what this all means yet. So for now, we wait. I imagine FFG is just taking a wait and see approach as well, and for once, I think their silence is a totally reasonable approach.

Confirmation on today's stream that there will be a not-Adepticon presentation on Thursdays at 4pm Central (9pm GMT) streamed on their Twitch channel (and YouTube?).

Presentation is covering Armada, Legion and X-Wing.

[Thanks to FiFTyFooTFoX on Reddit for finding the link in the stream.]

Asmodee put out a notice saturday stating all new releases are put on hold until May 1st at a minimum. I found the notices in the X-wing room. You asked for some kind of communications, there ya go. Sucks but it is something. Also, the main site is down this morning, looks like the web tech forgot to update the certs on the server before he moved back into mom's basement for the corona staycation.

15 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Confirmation on today's stream that there will be a not-Adepticon presentation on Thursdays at 4pm Central (9pm GMT) streamed on their Twitch channel (and YouTube?).

This is great news and more or less what I was hoping for.

I sincerely hope that FFG reveals Clone Wars Armada. I just want to see what's coming in the CWA core set and Wave 1, so we know what to expect.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:54 AM, Grumbleduke said:

I assume you can watch it later on their YT channel, as always ?