Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kramerr

Is Armada dying ??

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

The Clone Wars will keep Armada going for a while, and new GCW content will probably be sprinkled in, but I doubt that the Sequel Trilogy will come to Armada. The ST has a very low amount of warship classes to bring to the table, which is very disappointing for me as the space battles and ship designs are a major part of Star Wars appeal to me.

You may be overestimating CW and underestimating the new stuff.  CW really doesn't have much, and a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the potential stuff is just reskins of what we have now.  The new stuff has just as much new material, and they could also reskin GCW ships for that era also.  So basically, they are the same.  CW did a better job of highlighting the capital ships, but the new sequels have stuff to pull from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kmanweiss said:

You may be overestimating CW and underestimating the new stuff.  CW really doesn't have much, and a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the potential stuff is just reskins of what we have now.  The new stuff has just as much new material, and they could also reskin GCW ships for that era also.  So basically, they are the same.  CW did a better job of highlighting the capital ships, but the new sequels have stuff to pull from.

In terms of potential expansions appearing in mainstream canon media (movies and TV series):

CW huge ship candidates: 2 (Lucrehulk, Subjugator)

CW large base candidates: 3 (Venator, Providence, Recusant)

CW medium base candidates: 4 (DH-Omni, Acclamator, Munificent, Core Ship)

CW small base/flotilla candidates: 4 (Consular, Hardcell, C-9979, Trident)

Reskins: 3 (Pelta, Arquitens, Gozanti)

 

In terms of new sequel models appearing from mainstream canon media (movies and TV series):

Huge base candidates: 2 (Supremacy, Mandator IV)

Large base candidates: 3 (MC85, Resurgent, Xyston)

Medium base candidates: 2 (Nebulon-C, Vakbeor)

Small base candidates: 1 (Free Virgilia)

Reskins: 1 (CR90)

 

Model count aside, the problem is that the First Order has nothing smaller than a large base outside of novel references and single comic frames, which are poor choices for expansions.  The Nebulon-C and Vakboer-class are borderline smalls, but there's a decided lack of variety there.

 

Given time, the sequel era can grow its recognizable ships enough to provide two well-balanced, filled-out factions.  Assuming the First Order will ever be depicted flying a reasonably sized ship...

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

The Clone Wars will keep Armada going for a while, and new GCW content will probably be sprinkled in, but I doubt that the Sequel Trilogy will come to Armada. The ST has a very low amount of warship classes to bring to the table, which is very disappointing for me as the space battles and ship designs are a major part of Star Wars appeal to me.

To be fair, if it weren't for Star Wars Rebels, Rogue One, and the old expanded universe, we likely wouldn't even have this game. Because if FFG limited itself to the original trilogy as a source of material, the Empire as a faction would have just two ships, one of which costs $200 and is two feet long, and the Rebels would have just four (no, I'm not counting the Dornean gunship; give it up guys, it was never anything more than background filler!). If you make an apples-to-apples comparison, the new trilogy has just as much content as the original does (i.e., not much).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

To be fair, if it weren't for Star Wars Rebels, Rogue One, and the old expanded universe, we likely wouldn't even have this game. Because if FFG limited itself to the original trilogy as a source of material, the Empire as a faction would have just two ships, one of which costs $200 and is two feet long, and the Rebels would have just four (no, I'm not counting the Dornean gunship; give it up guys, it was never anything more than background filler!). If you make an apples-to-apples comparison, the new trilogy has just as much content as the original does (i.e., not much).

It’s true.  All of it.*

 

But we do have Rebels, Rogue One, TCW, and the old EU (which would appear not to be used as a resource for ships anymore.)  Apples-to-oranges is okay when you’re concerned with results rather than even footing.  Or in this case, perhaps ripe apples to unripe ones.

Edited by The Jabbawookie
*Except the Dornean Gunship part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

To be fair, if it weren't for Star Wars Rebels, Rogue One, and the old expanded universe, we likely wouldn't even have this game. Because if FFG limited itself to the original trilogy as a source of material, the Empire as a faction would have just two ships, one of which costs $200 and is two feet long, and the Rebels would have just four (no, I'm not counting the Dornean gunship; give it up guys, it was never anything more than background filler!). If you make an apples-to-apples comparison, the new trilogy has just as much content as the original does (i.e., not much).

I think the Rebels would have 5, maybe you didn't count the GR-75?  CR90, Neb B, MC80 Home One, MC80 Liberty.  But your point is taken.   Technically the Empire also has the Tector ISD plus the ISD 1 and ISD 2.  All of which look essentially identical on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thrindal said:

I think the Rebels would have 5, maybe you didn't count the GR-75?  CR90, Neb B, MC80 Home One, MC80 Liberty.  But your point is taken.   Technically the Empire also has the Tector ISD plus the ISD 1 and ISD 2.  All of which look essentially identical on the board.

I did forget the GR-75!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, Fyeya said:

I honestly am shocked to hear this - there are almost no new ships from the FO/Res era - barely a fraction of the diversity provided by Clone Wars. Most of them are barely different versions of GCW ships.

I guess I just don't see why options bringing in new players is bad.

Also, Armada is quite well balanced in general, and they've managed to keep their various ships relevant even after 8 waves of releases, so I count that as a win for game balance. I doubt Clone Wars will be so overpowering that the other factions can't hold up.

The last time I looked, VSDs, Assault Frigates, and Non-Yavaris Nebulons were hardly been on the table competitively. The only time the VSD has been competitive (before Harrow at least, in the latest expansion) was before Wave 2.

Jabbawookie hit it best in his list. Besides, all of film Star Wars only has a handful of ships, and the majority of them were Rebels (Empire Only has the Imperial Class and the Executor Class). The recent Starhawk and Onager only show up in books- the Onager comes from one image without even a name! Certainly this gives FFG the permission to come up with new craft extrapolated from other sources- I'm itching to see their take on the Maxima-A from the comics.

Along with the aforementioned Arrestor, Dreadnought, Dornean Gunship...

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they decided to release sequel trilogy ships in tandem. I'd make the effort to play a Resurgent as much as possible, as that's now one of my favorite ships in all of Star Wars.

Edited by Norsehound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Norsehound said:

I'm itching to see their take on the Maxima-A from the comics...

I'd make the effort to play a Resurgent as much as possible, as that's now one of my favorite ships in all of Star Wars.

I really dig the asymmetric, minimalist design of the Maxima-A heavy cruiser. I'd love to see it modeled in 3D. In my head, I see the ship as a test bed of sorts for emerging technologies and design principals that would later find their way into the Resurgent-class (minimized command bridge, upgraded turbo lasers and cannons, etc... all of the stuff mentioned in the visual dictionaries) and figure it might have been the first secret project for the new "hand-cuffed" Kuat-Entralla post-ROTJ. Of course, that all exists in my head!

As for the Resurgent... it's my number one most desired new ship for the game. I love it. I'm assuming it would sit somewhere around 180 points, which would let me run two (mostly naked) in a single list. Yes, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 11:54 PM, Norsehound said:

The last time I looked, VSDs [...] were hardly been on the table competitively. The only time the VSD has been competitive (before Harrow at least, in the latest expansion) was before Wave 2.

Hilariously, Harrow, Corrupter, and Warlord all have separate Prime wins this season, with different players.  VSDs are fine, you just have to use them well to win with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

Hilariously, Harrow, Corrupter, and Warlord all have separate Prime wins this season, with different players.  VSDs are fine, you just have to use them well to win with them.

I ran a Thrawn 3 VSD list pre-Harrow & it did ok & I’m by no means an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, codytx2 said:

I don't think Armada is in danger from the player base side but is anyone else a little nervous now that FFG looks to be doing some internal restructuring? 

A little nervous. But hopefully Asmode is smart enough to know that Armada cant be yield profit unless they give us stuff to buy, both new and old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, codytx2 said:

I don't think Armada is in danger from the player base side but is anyone else a little nervous now that FFG looks to be doing some internal restructuring? 

Yeah, kinda have to worry about FFG dying at this point, not just Armada. I would expect not much from Armada going forward, which has been par for the course for some time now, so no real change unless the whole studio collapses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I think what will kill armada is the kung flu hindering production in China, shipping overseas and in the US and everything being closed for so long that ffg/asmodee run out of cash to stay open. The source material amd player base is still large enough to keep the game viable for a long time as long as there is someplace we can play and toys to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Buford said:

At this point, I think what will kill armada is the kung flu hindering production in China, shipping overseas and in the US and everything being closed for so long that ffg/asmodee run out of cash to stay open. The source material amd player base is still large enough to keep the game viable for a long time as long as there is someplace we can play and toys to play with.

Maybe we keep racism out of the Armada forums and use actual names. The economic impact of this pandemic is going to be extensive, that has nothing to do with being civil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronNerd said:

Maybe we keep racism out of the Armada forums and use actual names. The economic impact of this pandemic is going to be extensive, that has nothing to do with being civil.

My comment had nothing to with race, rather the fact that this bug is kicking @$$ like Chuck Norris but if you take it the wrong way, sorry. Seriously. Personally, I thought what I said was dead (and absolutely NO pun intended) on about the economic impact. And I will comment no further on the racism subject, lets keep this about armada being dead or not. No point blowing a good subject on a side track issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Buford said:

My comment had nothing to with race, rather the fact that this bug is kicking @$$ like Chuck Norris but if you take it the wrong way, sorry. Seriously. Personally, I thought what I said was dead (and absolutely NO pun intended) on about the economic impact. And I will comment no further on the racism subject, lets keep this about armada being dead or not. No point blowing a good subject on a side track issue.

No worries, just have to be careful with wording these days.

Regardless, it's right to be concerned. Local game stores are hurting pretty bad right now, and I can't imagine that is helping anyone upstream. With Asmodee calling the shots and continually changing policies to the detriment of the consumer, the whole hobby/board game industry could look VERY different when this is all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...