Sign in to follow this  
LORDs_diakonos

Rounds in Learning Game

I dunno, I only ever played the full game.

full game has 6 rounds and 7 command cards.  I always skip the Learn to Play because FFG usually cuts corners on the rules, which confuses me when I play the real game (which is my intention when I start one of their games)

Edited by buckero0

in learning games for all the games that i have played, We were more worried about learning the basic rules and mechanics than worrying about turn limit or even who wins. I would say look at the individual situation and go from there. I could be that going beyond 6 rounds could help so long as itis understood thatitis just to get a little more time in if you dont have enough for a second game. 

I would even take randome units just because the models looked super cool or the unit had flavorful imagery if i thought it would spark interest in the game in terms of cool value or the hobby aspect.

Edited by EVIL INC

18 hours ago, EVIL INC said:

I would even take randome units just because the models looked super cool or the unit had flavorful imagery if i thought it would spark interest in the game in terms of cool value or the hobby aspect.

I always threw a LOS blocking Tatooine igloo and a vaporator together on one flank of the table for all my learning games. Just to show off the cool factor of the hobby, basically. It definitely impacts the outcomes to have unintended LOS blocking scenery, but who cares?

A learning game of Legion should take about 15 minutes. I learned to play Legion at PAX South right before release and have used a modified version of the way the booth volunteers taught me:

1. Using the entirety of the core box, place all units within range 3 of each other and their order tokens face down.
  2. Position Luke and Vader so that they are within 2 speed 1 moves of each other.
  3. Place a Stormtrooper and Rebel corp unit so that they need to perform a speed 2 move to achieve range 3 on an enemy. This is more easily accomplished by positioning them behind LOS blocking terrain. Then place their order tokens face up.
  4. Have the person receiving the demo choose a faction.
  5. Because of the way everything is set up, the only available unit they can activate already has a face up order token. Now you can teach them how movement and cohesion works. After performing the full speed 2 move, you can now show them how range is measured from the unit leader and how attacking/defending works as well as cover.
  6. Activate the remaining unit for your side, reinforcing the idea of how moving and attacking works.
  7. Now you're ready for a full round which will explain command cards, the order token pool, and issuing orders. I usually choose Push and issue an order to both Corp units. They will probably choose Ambush and give their order to their commander.
  8. After both sides have finished activating they should have a pretty good understanding of the basics of Legion. At this time ask if they'd like to do a 500-point skirmish game.

One thing I didn't mention is that I don't use suppression or courage during the learning demo. I also briefly explain the various actions they are allowed to take during the 'full round'.

Edited by frbfli

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

I always threw a LOS blocking Tatooine igloo and a vaporator together on one flank of the table for all my learning games. Just to show off the cool factor of the hobby, basically. It definitely impacts the outcomes to have unintended LOS blocking scenery, but who cares?

I might have you beat. I had a concrete lawn gargoyle painted up and gave him chaos tattoos. I remember lifting it up onto my old table for such games as it matched my chaos army. Just to show players the hobby aspect in making your table themed to your army. I find that these things (as I am sure you have too) not only helps players be interested in the hobby aspect but to spark the desire for such things in them.

Edited by EVIL INC