2,406 meters 

HEIGHT/DEPTH

682 meters

ENGINE UNIT(S)

SHIELDING

Deflector generator domes (2)

ARMAMENT

CREW COMPLIMENT

The Xyston-class Star Destroyer, also known as the Sith Star Destroyerwas a model of Star Destroyer used by Darth Sidious' Final Order.  The Sith fleet consisted entirely of these warships and engaged the Resistance in a battle within the atmosphere of Exegol.  They were based on the design of the older Imperial I-class Star Destroyers, with key differences including a larger size, red accents along the hull of the vessel, and a large  Superlaser capable of destroying planets, which took the place of a standard Imperial-class Star Destroyer's main hangar space.

Offensive and defensive systems

While equipped with deflector shields, the Xyston-class could not activate them while inside Exegol's atmosphere. These Star Destroyers also required a navigational tower in order to leave Exegol.

Where the ventral hangar bay of conventional Imperial-class Star Destroyers was located, these Star Destroyers were fitted with a large Axial superlaser and flanked by two smaller hangars. While it would not destroy a planet instantly like the superlasers of the Death Stars, the cannon would obliterate a planet by firing at the target in a sustained burst. These superlasers were connected directly to the Star Destroyer's reactor, and severe damage to them would destroy the ship itself.

Created sometime before 35 ABY, the Xyston-Class Star Destroyers comprised the Sith fleet stationed on Exegol. When Supreme Leader Kylo Ren arrived on Exegol and met with Darth Sidious, the Sith Lord raised his entire fleet from the planet surface.

Edit

Xyston is Greek for Spear or Spearhead 

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Big ship, big gun, big weakness. The Imperial/First Order/Final Order (Sith Empire?) mindset was too focused on "super weapons", rather than just playing to their strengths- standardized training, military-grade hardware (rather than repurposed civilian armaments/ships), and a larger military in general. Still, it was fun to see the classic profile of a Imperial Star Destroyer again.

Pretty much. Having planet-razing capability on every ship is cool, but having a flobberty-bazillion destroyers is rather more important. 

It's like Tagge's comment of "how many destroyer squadrons could we have built in the place of Tarkin's folly?".

Ironically, I really like the resurgent- not least because it seems to carry point defences to fend off the ever-present rebel/resistance snubfighters. Which is irritating as it's the one class you never see do anything but sit there looking imposing.

I can imagine it turning up for Armada eventually as it's basically an Imperial II with a superweapon upgrade slot.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

3 minutes ago, Redblock said:

This is, and always will be "Lazy screenwriter" class of Star Destroyer for me. The worst kind possible... 1000 Death stars, all with plot armour weakness....

And a "lazy designer". This is an exact copy of Imperial-I but with a stupid gun on the bottom... and upscaled 1.5 times because it would make too much sense for it to be a refit.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

And a "lazy designer". This is an exact copy of Imperial-I but ... and upscaled 1.5 times because it would make too much sense for it to be a refit.

Also note how everything is still in perfect proportion, despite the supposed upscaling. The command tower, shield generators, superstructure, gun turrets -- everything is exactly in proportion as though it were just an ISD with an extra gun underneath. I'm pretty sure I can make out the bridge on the command tower still, which shouldn't be possible (or at least a lot harder) if this thing were 50% bigger again than an ISD.

The only reason it's bigger is because that's the only way Disney and Abrams seem to think their lazy fanfiction will fly. Just copy-paste everything straight from the original trilogy, scale it up by a factor of roughly a million, and hope the fanboys are on too much of a nostalgia high to notice how little real effort anyone is making.

13 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Boy, I sure hate this Star Destroyer design. Could have actually been cool.

But, no. It's just a dummy thicc ISD-I.

That's the thing. I wouldn't have minded if they had been ISDs. I imagine that with no deflectors, putting torpedoes into the reactor dome would do a destroyer no good at all, so if it didn't have a MegaMan Boss weak spot, the basic approach would still count. 

Related notion: what's the population of Exegol? You'd think that it couldn't be big, given that the planet is in a permanent ion storm. Yet it's big enough to support 30K crewmen per Star Destroyer times how many Star Destroyers out of its military-age population alone? In a similar vein, the Empire was credited with ~25,000 Star Destroyers... an armada that took two decades and the resources of much of the known galaxy to produce. And Exegol, with its own resources, produced how many 50%-upscaled Star Destroyers while hiding their existence absolutely?

9 minutes ago, ChahDresh said:

Related notion: what's the population of Exegol? You'd think that it couldn't be big, given that the planet is in a permanent ion storm. Yet it's big enough to support 30K crewmen per Star Destroyer times how many Star Destroyers out of its military-age population alone? In a similar vein, the Empire was credited with ~25,000 Star Destroyers... an armada that took two decades and the resources of much of the known galaxy to produce. And Exegol, with its own resources, produced how many 50%-upscaled Star Destroyers while hiding their existence absolutely?

That is my beef as well.  Give us SOMETHING besides “conjures and soothsayers”.  Show us the machine in Knights of the Old Republic that creates things from force users.  All the SSD(sith Star destroyers) are manned by robots... ANYTHING besides, what we got. 

2 hours ago, ChahDresh said:

Everything in this movie was just explained by putting Sith in front of it. Sith cloning/ Sith tech/ Sith planet/ Sith Fleet... The shere amount of star destroyers should have been the threat, the planet killer bit just took away from the Death stars and starkiller base.

Edited by Dwing

2 hours ago, ChahDresh said:

I assumed they were mostly crewed by robots or AIs. Hence the discussion on needing to increase conscription.

Man you guys really are asking alot from a series where slow moving walkers are considered a viable troop transport, even though they get torn apart (literally) by proper air support, teddy bears can beat a legion of the Emperor's finest troops, you can't tell there's a signal being transmitted from your ship until it's too late, and a vastly inferior navy can engage its superior in toe to toe combat without fighter support and come out on top while being shelled by a superlaser.

5 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Man you guys really are asking alot from a series where slow moving walkers are considered a viable troop transport, even though they get torn apart (literally) by proper air support, teddy bears can beat a legion of the Emperor's finest troops, you can't tell there's a signal being transmitted from your ship until it's too late, and a vastly inferior navy can engage its superior in toe to toe combat without fighter support and come out on top while being shelled by a superlaser.

Its really not a lot to ask from a series that has spent I don't know how many movies to tell us these planet killing weapons are special and something to be feared. To have Palp all of a sudden just have thousands of them is both lazy, takes away the exitement from previous movies and kind of makes Palp a ***** for not using them 

Edited by Dwing

1 hour ago, Nyxen said:

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying your expectations are a bit high when the rest of the series falls apart under the same scrutiny.

Would you be okay with Episode X introducing mass produced Death Star pistols? After all Ewoks killed some stormtroopers so anything goes.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

Would you be okay with Episode X introducing mass produced Death Star pistols? After all Ewoks killed some stormtroopers so anything goes.

Sure, let's see the space mysics parry that XD

3 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Troop transports being torn apart by air support is true to life, though. That's the most believable thing on your list.

After seeing what the ewoks were able to do with those big honking logs, i take no issue with the military might of a swarm of naturally camouflaged types on their home turf.

The homing beacon doesn't have to be active for long. Given that the Death Star detects the rebel base immediately on ingress, one pulse- giving the system upon light speed emergence- would suffice.

The Battle of Endor is silly. Presumably the Empire expended most of their starfighter support during the opening stages, and breaks between waves give the Rebels breathing room to regen shields, but yes.

8 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Also note how everything is still in perfect proportion, despite the supposed upscaling. The command tower, shield generators, superstructure, gun turrets -- everything is exactly in proportion as though it were just an ISD with an extra gun underneath. I'm pretty sure I can make out the bridge on the command tower still, which shouldn't be possible (or at least a lot harder) if this thing were 50% bigger again than an ISD.

The only reason it's bigger is because that's the only way Disney and Abrams seem to think their lazy fanfiction will fly. Just copy-paste everything straight from the original trilogy, scale it up by a factor of roughly a million, and hope the fanboys are on too much of a nostalgia high to notice how little real effort anyone is making.

totally agree, they literally just copy-pasted a 3D model from Rogue One or whatever.

asset reuse is definitely a thing and it makes sense, I guess it just seems sort of... less noble in the modern lense what with high budgets and so many talented visual artists out there. 

old star wars assets were reused all the time (compare death star gunner helmets to alderanian trooper helmets, or tie pilot helmets to stormtrooper helmets). they also chopped up actual models and pasted them back together. the Dagobah vines were the same scenery as the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark for pete's sake. but it just seemed more... real. 

at least Disney is reusing their own assets, unlike the Marvel star wars comics, which are stealing fan assets (now, technically, fans don't have the copyright to star wars, and those assets were never theirs in the first place, so legally Marvel has the high ground there, but morally... oof). 

anyway. I hated these in the movie and they're super low-effort design so I'm overthinking them. lots of other stuff (costumes, props, etc,) were super well thought out and fun so I'm sad the villains were so tacked-on like this. the signs of asset reuse definitely makes them seem like placeholders rather than a finished product. 

that being said I'm looking forward to seeing how much these absolutely ruin the Armada meta. 

On 12/26/2019 at 12:35 PM, Nyxen said:

I mean I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying your expectations are a bit high when the rest of the series falls apart under the same scrutiny.

Does it?

We had an entire series (The Prequels) explaining how the Empire was formed, where it got it's armies and space armadas, how the politics worked, and how the Emperor put himself at the head of that order.

RoS pulled the Emperor out of it's @$$, and then the Emperor proceeded to pull a fleet out of his @$$. No set up, no foreshadowing, Just bigger, more ships, and with more death star guns.

If you want to say that the rest of the moives were just as silly, well, I think I disagree.

Edited by Koing907