Sign in to follow this  
Justindoodler

Super Powers as Magical Actions

In a super hero setting, it would seem the 10 magic actions would work very well as individual skills, to represent powers. So a character could have ranks in Mask, Attack and Augment, for example. Perhaps the characteristic used is based on your origin, so Arcana  (Intellect), Technology (Intellect), Primal (Cunning), Divine (Willpower), Training (Willpower), Psychic (Willpower), Natural (Presence), Mutation (Brawn) etc I would suggest reducing the Strain cost to 1.

The base magic system should work well enough. You could just split them based on origin or source. In my setting:

I split super powers into three skills. Arcanum (Cun) for all of your different magical actions. Externum (Int) for wonderous technology and any other non-magic power that comes from outside your character. Internum (Will) for abilities that come natural to your character.

The reason you'd want to stay close to magic skills is the experience cost. Every new skill you're adding is another penalty. Let's say you have a separate Curse and Attack skill. If you rank up Curse, you might still be terrible at casting attack which wouldn't be the case in a fantasy Genesys setting. You are onto something though.

When I started creating sample characters, I realized there were plenty of powers that fall into the category of magic actions but the hero doesn't have access to a whole array of powers. Take Spiderman for example. I can see him with the attack spell (ranged, web sling and flavored as slamming opponents into nearby objects, modifiers for ensnaring or range band movement) and the curse spell. He shouldn't have the whole array of powers. In my setting, I solved this by making powers their own separate experience point dump. When you gain a power skill as a career skill, you gain the first rank free and a free action with four modifiers. Then you can expend experience directly to acquire a new power action at 10 experience (with up to four modifiers) and additional modifiers at 5 xp. This isn't a talent that you have to rank up. It's a new source of XP expenditure completely separate from skills or talents.

Now, this is also a contradiction of my original point. This is increasing XP cost over what a base fantasy character would have. Something unique to a super hero setting is power limits and weaknesses. I have different rules built into my setting to grant bonus XP back to heroes. This should balance out the costs while allowing for customization and feeling closer to super powers rather than full arrays of magic.

I'll have a full write-up and new character sheets to reflect this in my next update. I hope that gives you at least some ideas to try for your setting.

Edited by BringBackForbiddenStars