Sign in to follow this  
Aluminium Falcon

Disney+ "Star Wars" Projects

Apologies if this came up elsewhere...

It seems like there is a correspondence between the announced SW projects and these games.
"The Mandalorian" to "Edge of the Empire", the forthcoming Cassian Andor/K-2SO series to "Age of Rebellion" and "Kenobi" to "Force and Destiny".

Either a coincidence, or a general sign of the organizational structure of non-filmic projects...  Time will tell.

Probably more coincidence.  The game's developers decided early on to split the game into three distinct product lines to jive with really are the three major story "themes" we see in Star Wars, not just the movies, but the books and video games, and quite possibly from the initial developers' own Star Wars gaming experience.

I doubt any of the big-wigs at Lucasfilm have much (if any) awareness of what FFG is doing off in their own little corner of the franchise; at best they know the RPG exists.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

I doubt any of the big-wigs at Lucasfilm have much (if any) awareness of what FFG is doing off in their own little corner of the franchise; at best they know the RPG exists.

According to Sam Witwer, they at least have a copy of each book on their shelves. (see at 13:40)

1 hour ago, Red Castle said:

According to Sam Witwer, they at least have a copy of each book on their shelves. (see at 13:40)

So do I, doesn't mean I've actually opened any of them up in a few years.  :P  

OT: The 3 themes of the game lines, are pretty much centered around 3 of the most compelling aspects of the franchise that people enjoy.  A lot of people love the "Scum and Villainy" aspect, which is where Edge thrives.  A lot of people get all hot and bothered about ships and fleet battles and the actual WAR part of Star Wars, so Age of Rebellion covers that.  And then of course, the mystic Force stuff, and F&D covers that.  It's not a coincidence, so much as it's just that those 3 overall themes are the biggest content umbrellas in the franchise, and are also 3 fairly distinct genres in themselves.   Edge = Western/Crime stuff, and there are tons of stories you can tell in that genre.   Age = War movies, and...well that's all you really need to say on that.  War stories are super popular.  F&D= Pretty much anything mystic/woo/spiritual.  So again, a whole genre to itself.  You can have wuxia kung fu style films with Jedi fighters, classic D&D stories with Dark/Light side conflicts, tossing spells back and forth.   

So yeah, it's not a coincidence that the shows match the overarcing threads, as those threads were picked for their inclusiveness of genres.

6 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I didn't said that they actually use them as reference, just that they at least have them. :P

I am sure they do use them as reference. For example the Inquisitors in Rebels came from WEG originally.  Sam let Dave Filoni read his WEG books. They are a good place for inspiration. 

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

I am sure they do use them as reference. For example the Inquisitors in Rebels came from WEG originally.  Sam let Dave Filoni read his WEG books. They are a good place for inspiration. 

WEG definetly! They've been using them a lot back in the 90s... FFG books, don't know if they use them or not. Nothing points one way or the other.

Regarding the Inquisitors, that came about due to Sam Witwer (an avid Star Wars RPG fan) mentioning the concept to Dave Filoni while they were working on The Clone Wars.  The original published material on Inquisitors was pretty thin (they where Force-using imperials who hunted Jedi), giving Filoni a lot of room to work, especially after the canon reset in 2014.

Given how radically different the Inquisitors are in Rebels when compared to what prior Star Wars RPGs had published, I'd be surprised if Filoni really did all that much research into them when developing the Grand Inquisitor and his fellows for Rebels.

54 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Regarding the Inquisitors, that came about due to Sam Witwer (an avid Star Wars RPG fan) mentioning the concept to Dave Filoni while they were working on The Clone Wars.  The original published material on Inquisitors was pretty thin (they where Force-using imperials who hunted Jedi), giving Filoni a lot of room to work, especially after the canon reset in 2014.

Given how radically different the Inquisitors are in Rebels when compared to what prior Star Wars RPGs had published, I'd be surprised if Filoni really did all that much research into them when developing the Grand Inquisitor and his fellows for Rebels.

We see a lot of this. Like the interdictors. that were also introduced in Rebels that are from the RPG originally. 

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

You sure about that?  I mean, when I saw Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit, the last thing I thought was "Wow, this is totally the mood and theme I want to see in a Star Wars film!"  

They were good movies that I enjoyed a lot, but I'm not sure he's got the right tone of storytelling for the franchise.

1 hour ago, KungFuFerret said:

You sure about that?  I mean, when I saw Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit, the last thing I thought was "Wow, this is totally the mood and theme I want to see in a Star Wars film!"  

They were good movies that I enjoyed a lot, but I'm not sure he's got the right tone of storytelling for the franchise.

That’s a fair concern.

I could answer this lengthily but I’ll just say that outside of The Saga films there is a wide breath of genres available in the Star Wars galaxy and limiting the breadth of that scope would be disservice to both The Saga as a whole and the fans at large.

I personally think he would have crushed if he had helmed Solo.

1 hour ago, KungFuFerret said:

What did you think about episode 8 of The Mandalorian?

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s a fair concern.

I personally think he would have crushed if he had helmed Solo.

I thought Solo was fine as it was, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

What did you think about episode 8 of The Mandalorian?

I don't watch that show, I have zero love for the mandalorians as a Boba Fett species reskin and their place in the fanbase's obsession, so I have zero interest in watching it.  

4 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

I don't watch that show, I have zero love for the mandalorians as a Boba Fett species reskin and their place in the fanbase's obsession, so I have zero interest in watching it.  

Fair answer. I asked because Waititi directed that episode (as well as providing the voice for IG-11 in his appearances on the series). I think it answers your concerns about his ability to capture a Star Wars feel pretty well. While I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit to make a comparison to it, if I didn't already know, I'd be hard-pressed to just say, "Yeah, this episode was definitely directed by the same guy who directed Ragnarok."

If this rumor is true, it strengthens my belief that LFL will be using the Disney+ platform as a test bed to find behind-the-camera talent for the big screen outings.

Edited by Nytwyng

12 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Fair answer. I asked because Waititi directed that episode (as well as providing the voice for IG-11 in his appearances on the series). I think it answers your concerns about his ability to capture a Star Wars feel pretty well. While I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit to make a comparison to it, if I didn't already know, I'd be hard-pressed to just say, "Yeah, this episode was definitely directed by the same guy who directed Ragnarok."

If this rumor is true, it strengthens my belief that LFL will be using the Disney+ platform as a test bed to find behind-the-camera talent for the big screen outings.

JoJo Rabbit was a good film, but the tone of it was....odd.  Think Monty Python meets...well...a hitler youth rally.   There were a lot of extreme jokes made that would be considered "pushing the boundaries of good taste", and they were done with the idea of "well it's ok because we are mocking Nazi's, and **** those guys so who cares?"  And it mostly worked.  It also felt very much along the lines of a lot of the Ragnarok humor, of it being just quip after quip after sight gag after prat fall, etc.  Which, again, worked for Thor, and worked for JoJo, but just if that's his "regular directing style" then it didn't feel like it would be a good match for Star Wars for me.  I mean, unless we are just making a Star Wars farce, which if so, then yeah sign him up he'd be great at it.  

Now maybe that's just what he's like when he's also the writer?  *shrugs* Not sure if he wrote the Mando episode you are talking about, or if he just directed it.  That can make a huge difference in tone when it's someone else's words being shot, versus Waititi.

Granted, I'm certainly not saying that he's incapable of doing more dramatic stuff, far from it.  JoJo Rabbit, had some dark **** in it too, but the overall tone was very much felt like some of the hairbrained ideas me and my friends would come up with while tripping on acid at 3 in the morning, but we didn't have a multi million dollar budget to film it :P 

Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Boy, What We Do In the Shadows, Eagle vs Shark - Taika Waititi has done some really good, really interesting films. He clearly knows how to have fun, how to make jokes but also how to really hit emotions. In Thor, he no doubt learned a lot about action scenes so yeah, I can easily see him bringing his filmmaking style to Star Wars and making it...well...fun.

36 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

JoJo Rabbit was a good film, but the tone of it was....odd.  Think Monty Python meets...well...a hitler youth rally.   There were a lot of extreme jokes made that would be considered "pushing the boundaries of good taste", and they were done with the idea of "well it's ok because we are mocking Nazi's, and **** those guys so who cares?"  And it mostly worked.  It also felt very much along the lines of a lot of the Ragnarok humor, of it being just quip after quip after sight gag after prat fall, etc.  Which, again, worked for Thor, and worked for JoJo, but just if that's his "regular directing style" then it didn't feel like it would be a good match for Star Wars for me.  I mean, unless we are just making a Star Wars farce, which if so, then yeah sign him up he'd be great at it.  

Now maybe that's just what he's like when he's also the writer?  *shrugs* Not sure if he wrote the Mando episode you are talking about, or if he just directed it.  That can make a huge difference in tone when it's someone else's words being shot, versus Waititi.

Granted, I'm certainly not saying that he's incapable of doing more dramatic stuff, far from it.  JoJo Rabbit, had some dark **** in it too, but the overall tone was very much felt like some of the hairbrained ideas me and my friends would come up with while tripping on acid at 3 in the morning, but we didn't have a multi million dollar budget to film it :P 

Watch Episode 8 of the Mandalorian. He directed it.

Edited by Daeglan

4 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

Well, as a long-time fan of his, that was kind of my reaction when I heard he was doing Thor: Ragnarok.

But that turned out fine.

I'm pretty sure that Star Wars can stand some injection of humor these days.