Khyrith

Structures: Hull Trauma / Wound Threshold ?

Is there an official, or UN-official, listing of the structural integrity (soak/wounds or armor/hull trauma) of various structures.   For instance: doors (of various types), starship hatches, bunkers, turret emplacements, etc?   

Our group has a saboteur who would really like to blow things up.  While there are all kinds of explosives listed across EotE and AOR supplements, we can't seem to find a table with those structural guidelines, to guide the player to how MUCH explosives he may need to go through a door, or duracrete wall, etc.

Thx in Advance! 

GM Khyrith

I do not believe so, almost certainly not an official one. One idea is to just require what is narratively appropriate and not worry too much about actual requirements. If you really want to though, I'd suggest coming up with a quick-reference table of the basics. (i.e. Doors: Blast Doors, Metal Doors, Standard Doors. Walls: Duracrete, Durasteel, Plastoid)

The AoR supplement Fully Operational has some explosives info.  Most are personal scale, one (Shaped Charge) has Breach, and one (Baradium) is planetary scale.  Multiple charges can be combined into one blast.

Eg:  Detonite does 15 base damage on a success, and +10 damage for each extra "charge" used.  Setting the charges is an Easy Mechanics check, with +1 difficulty for each additional charge.  So two Detonite charges would do 25 damage (+ net successes), and require an Average check to get right.

However, there aren't rules for structures that I know of.  I would just come up with a Soak or Armour rating for the thing being penetrated.  A simple wooden door might have a Soak of 1 and WT of 2 and be kicked in easily.  A solid oak door might have a Soak of 7 or 8, with a matching WT, so one Detonite charge would turn it into splinters.  A blast door might have Armour 1-2 and HT 2-3, so you'd need one or two Detonite charges to breach it, and another 2-3 to take it down.  Or use some Shaped Charges, or Baradium.

Most structures probably wouldn't have system strain since they aren't a boxed set of complex integrated systems that operate under extreme conditions. Short of cutting power to the building, it's not going to just stop working all of a sudden. (And even if you did cut the power, buildings will have far more non-powered features and functions than a starship will.)

So you're generally only looking at hull trauma/structural integrity/etc, whether for the structure as a whole or for individual parts. (And once again you're less likely to be dealing with 'all the structure at once' effects than you are to be smashing up individual bits and pieces of it, unless you're dealing with a really small structure or a really big explosion.)

On 12/19/2019 at 11:29 PM, whafrog said:

The AoR supplement Fully Operational has some explosives info.  Most are personal scale, one (Shaped Charge) has Breach, and one (Baradium) is planetary scale.  Multiple charges can be combined into one blast.

A blast door might have Armour 1-2 and HT 2-3, so you'd need one or two Detonite charges to breach it, and another 2-3 to take it down.  Or use some Shaped Charges, or Baradium.

I think that the Baradium charge would be overkill for a door, even a blast door. Baradium charges are used for destroying whole bases and scuttling ships, and their blast radius is Long (personal scale).

10 hours ago, Bellona said:

I think that the Baradium charge would be overkill for a door, even a blast door. Baradium charges are used for destroying whole bases and scuttling ships, and their blast radius is Long (personal scale).

With a door that has 1 Armor and 3 HT, you'd need either 5 Shaped Charges or 3 Proton Grenades. I agree that Baradium is way overkill. Baradium is an indiscriminate explosive. If it is powerful enough to breach the door, it will breach everything behind the door as well.

For buildings, find a comparable vehicle. 

So like a house is comparable to a Sil 4 freighter. So like Armor of 1 or two (so it's immune to small arms, but not heavy weapon) a HT of 20ish. ST would be small, like 5-10 assuming it needs an ST at all, since most buildings don't really have any "systems" in relation to what the game is looking at. 

Larger structures would likewise scale, with the largest conventional skyscrapers capping out around Sil 6. Unconventional large structures (Senate building I'm looking at you) could get even larger Sils of course, but would be pretty rare, at least in a need for in-game numbers.

Purpose built structures would share more in common with vehicles of course. Buildings with organic technical components would have better ST, military bunkers would have higher armor and possibly even shields. So on.

14 hours ago, Bellona said:

I think that the Baradium charge would be overkill for a door, even a blast door.

Yep.  I was only describing the mechanics and where they could be found, not trying to provide guidance on when to use what.  Baradium does planetary scale damage, so more suitable for planetary scale targets, which is different from the other explosives described in that section of the book.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I do not believe so, almost certainly not an official one. One idea is to just require what is narratively appropriate and not worry too much about actual requirements.

I agree with this option 💯. Rate the difficulty thematically, let the dice decide.

Edited by Fistofpaper
Clarity