Sign in to follow this  
Grumbleduke

[Spoiler Thread] Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Spoiler Thread]

So many starships!

Sadly no close-ups or detailed shots of anything other than things we have already seen. Of the whole "fleet" there were only a couple more shots than we saw in the trailers.

The "Assault Frigate"-type things definitely aren't Assault Frigate MkIIs, but they might be based on them. The only things that really stood out were the things they already would have had high detailed models for; the MC75, Peltas, CR90s and a couple of weirder ships from The Clone Wars (plus the The Last Jedi ones).

I get the impression they didn't show much detail because they didn't want to have to model that many ships in high detail, so the new ships are mostly left to the background (like the obscure ones in  RotJ).

Also, not much of a space battle. I think RotJ still holds the title for best Star Wars space battle.

And I can see where they would have used Onagers - again speculating, but I think the Onager may have started as concept art for this film, and then been replaced by modified Imperial-Class Star Destroyers for the nostalgia.

Anyway. Lots of starships.

6 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

And I can see where they would have used Onagers - again speculating, but I think the Onager may have started as concept art for this film, and then been replaced by modified Imperial-Class Star Destroyers for the nostalgia.

This. I think it's very likely what happened. 

And yes, shame there was no proper space battle, but it was still good to see so many starships at once.

I love a lot about the film.

For one it fixes every problem I had with The Force Awakens. 

At first I loathed the twist that Rey was Palpatine’s granddaughter however it soon became apparent to me, why not? He was a politician. 

Palpatine is the type of guy who will use every asset available to him, why wouldnt he weaponize his own biology? Someone you could raise and indoctrinate from birth. He plays the long game. 

I have my nitpicks. I have issues with some beats or the execution of certain beats. But unlike Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith, this does feel like a conclusion to the saga. 

Edited by Forresto

C3PO stole the show. Kylo and Rey’s relationship was again the most intriguing thing going on, daisy Ridley did a swell acting job in this one.loved the new droid. Liked the chewie and lando bits. Fixed* Luke. The fight in the ds2 ruins was fantastic.  Rey training course!  Loved the ‘cameos’. Loved palpatine’s bitterness towards the Skywalker line.  Liked the Finn and Poe banter.  Wedge! Rey’s lineage and snokes backstory were sufficient.  Pryde was the calm collected competent officer the FO had been sorely lacking.  I liked bens story’s resolution. 

Biggest regret was leia didnt get a more involved/fleshed out role but they worked with what they had. Rip Carrie. 

All in all it wasn’t perfect but I liked it. I walked out of the theatre happy and content with the sequel trilogy. 

21 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

Not really sure why it was called ‘Rise of Skywalker’.

Rey becomes a Skywalker at the end. Luke and Leia adopt her.

She got to choose her destiny rather then be boxed in as a Palpatine.

Edited by Forresto

18 hours ago, ManInTheBox said:

I definitely spotted a MC-75. Given that Mon Cal ships are supposed to be unique, that raises the question of whether this is somehow Profundity, which was captured by the Empire in R1, or a different MC-75.

It's clearly a reuse of art assets at ILM. Not sure there is even a care about if it is the same ship or just an lazy Easter egg. It is one of the more recognizable ships though, so eventually there will be a story about it.

53 minutes ago, SithLrd88 said:

New Officer Card: Grand Emperor Palpatine- Discard all friendly ships' defense tokens to destroy opponents entire fleet, lol

Palpatine Reborn: Discard all defense tokens on your ship (minimum 4) to spend every defense token on all of your opponents ships.

That'd be bad-*****

1 hour ago, Admiral Theia said:

I was a touch disappointed that the climax wasn't more ... climactic, but was generally pretty happy with the movie.  I can't wait to see it again though, as I wasn't in the right head space for it last night.

Agreed, there was a LOT of potential there that they just flopped on. Could have done some sweet Rey&Kylo tagteam vs Palp. Ship battle was...lacking...

Also what basic dunce put cannon controls on the outside of their turrets?

I enjoyed it. It felt like a good finish for the series at large, even though some pf the pacing was awful.

My wife is very pleased to have called the Rey Palpatine lineage back from TFA.

Also great set of cameos.

It’s the little things that bug me. Planet killing guns that can be powered by an ISD!? 🤪. You are telling me that they managed to shrink the tech that used to be the size of an entire moon down to an ISD!? 

And yet again, a whole ‘superweapon’ can be destroyed by a fighter. Lazy writing. Does the Empire never learn?

I suppose this does increase the options for a first order faction after the Clone Wars stuff is done.

It felt like there was a lot more character development for Rey (you can really see the temptation of the dark side pulling her,) and pretty natural banter and humor for the rest of the cast.  Palpatine was excellent but made no sense.  A few decades to build a massive fleet of star destroyers in the middle of nowhere, crew them, and keep it a complete secret?  How do 1,000,000 personnel minimum even get fed on that barren world?  Who makes the armor and uniforms?  Implausible to say the least.  Rey’s origin was great, if a little predictable.  Nien Nunb’s cameo was neat, Snap’s death hurt, and the arc of the story was satisfying.  Probably an unpopular opinion, but I wish Chewie had actually been on that unlucky transport; it was a powerful moment that could have had real consequences.  Same with 3PO’s memory.  So much potential, then we get tricked.

If I never see another planet killer again it will be too soon.

And poor Hux.  The galaxy is unkind to him every step of the way.

I wish there was a second arc in the story where Lando is flying system by system with an evergrowing fleet rather than joining ( predictably) the fight at the last minute with a thousand ships. 

Apart from this part, I really enjoyed the movie. 

22 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Chewie had actually been on that unlucky transport; it was a powerful moment that could have had real consequences.  Same with 3PO’s memory.

I totally agree,

I wish Hux had a better death too ( Is it rude to wish for better death?)

Also I think this movie and plotline deserved at least two movies.

edit: this question

can we confirm there is no Onager and Starhawk in the movie?

Edited by LostFleet

3 hours ago, LostFleet said:

edit: this question

can we confirm there is no Onager and Starhawk in the movie?

Yes.  The Star Destroyers are some weird amalgamation of an ISD and JJ’s raging obsession with making every threat “the mostest dangerous thing eva seen!!”, and the “rebel” fleet doesn’t appear to have any large capital ships, although it did look like there might have been some Mon Cal or maybe old CIS ships in the background for a split second.

I wonder if we’ll get a space horsie boarding party for Armada.

Just a wild guess but I would assume that at some point some source will make the Onager the basis for the technology in ep9 but honestly at this point who even cares, and as for the Star Hawk I assume they were destroyed in the war with the First Order either in the Star Killer Attack, immediately after, of possibly even forcibly scrapped as part of the New Republic capitulation.

Yeah I have no idea why they packed Lando off to fetch hundreds of capital ships. One fighter per ISD is all that was needed...

Did the fleet actually engage the ISDs? I don’t recall them doing so. Apart from a corvette I think.

I assume the Sith fleet were retrofitted fISDs that we’re brought with the Imperials Palpatine retreat into the unknown regions following Jakku. 

1 hour ago, ISD Avenger said:

Yeah I have no idea why they packed Lando off to fetch hundreds of capital ships. One fighter per ISD is all that was needed...

Did the fleet actually engage the ISDs? I don’t recall them doing so. Apart from a corvette I think.

It’s a lot like the Battle of Endor where they don’t really show the capital ships engaging capital ships, the implication though is of course they did.

This movie reminds me a lot of Return of the Jedi in terms of how I feel about what they showed and didn’t show.

Edited by Forresto

4 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

It felt like there was a lot more character development for Rey (you can really see the temptation of the dark side pulling her,) and pretty natural banter and humor for the rest of the cast.  Palpatine was excellent but made no sense.  A few decades to build a massive fleet of star destroyers in the middle of nowhere, crew them, and keep it a complete secret?  How do 1,000,000 personnel minimum even get fed on that barren world?  Who makes the armor and uniforms?  Implausible to say the least.  Rey’s origin was great, if a little predictable.  Nien Nunb’s cameo was neat, Snap’s death hurt, and the arc of the story was satisfying.  Probably an unpopular opinion, but I wish Chewie had actually been on that unlucky transport; it was a powerful moment that could have had real consequences.  Same with 3PO’s memory.  So much potential, then we get tricked.

If I never see another planet killer again it will be too soon.

And poor Hux.  The galaxy is unkind to him every step of the way.

I heard there were scenes that were cut between Palp and Knights of Ren / Pyrde to continue kidnapping children and send them to "programming" like Finn and his new friend. That's what the Strormtroopers were doing when you see them go from house to house on the planet where they hack C3PO. But even that is flimsy, all you need is a few of those lasers on some ships, it would still be logistically crazy to staff hundreds of Star Destroyers in the unknown regions without people finding out. 

Also, what bugs me is "Oh your weird force link can restore my body let me use the force and suck your life force out" instead of "I've finally found a force healer I'm just going to use the force and all this crazy machinery to make her heal me against her will." - the first way is JJ doing some deus ex machina junk, the second way establishes why Rey was so important to Palpatine. 

Also disappointed with the "space battle"...SPEND SOME MONEY DISNEY. 

Otherwise I did enjoy the movie - I like how they ended it, but you could've gotten there so many other ways.  For me, it was "good, not great". 

Edited by eliteone

Overall, I am disappointed by this movie.  The scenes seemed rushed through,  made up mostly of contrivances to get the characters what they need, and where they need to be. For example, a dagger that showed where the wayfinder was in the crashed ruins of the deathstar. Why?  More importantly, how?  Ruins would decay, and the dagger would eventually be worthless.   Who would make the dagger, rather than just grabbing the wayfinder. I thought that Rey being Palpatines granddaughter was a lazy twist, meant to evoke the emotion from Empire, with none of the payoff.   The Emperor’s space lightning was cringeworthy (if he had that much power, who cares about the SSD fleet).  And of course, yet another planet destroying weapon.