Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Imperial Advisor’s The Rise of Skywalker No Spoiler Review

(I will give a more in depth review a week from now after further viewings.)

NO SPOILERS.

Not even innuendos, because no matter how vague I think I may be, I'm sure someone will pick up on it.

I was very fortunate to count myself as one of those who got to see an early viewing, and am very thankful to the kind and dear friend who got me the ticket.  Truly, I owe you a lot and remain moved by your loving gesture.

As anyone who has read my posts here knows I am a fan of Star Wars in every sense of the word, but given that, I still am not blind to the fact that some of what has come before  were ...  let’s say they were not as beloved as the Original Trilogy.

What I am trying to say is that I can be critical when it counts.  Do we not hold friends and loved ones to task when it is called for?

THE REVIEW

The audience I went with comprised mostly media and film industry folks.  You will be hard pressed to find a more jaded group of scum and villainy anywhere.

I am fairly sure there were more  than a few skeptics among the viewers.

Then the lights dimmed, the familiar music filled the room, the opening crawl started.

And there I was surrounded by some 800 adults wearing expensive evening attire who despite themselves managed to reconnect with their wide eyed, opened mouthed, popcorn eating 6 year old selves again.

There were many a loud cheers throughout the whole film, there were a few "full applause" moments and those were well within the first hour alone.

I shed many a tear, and more than a handful of adults next to me did the same.

Why?

Simply put, because after many a decades of going to see Star Wars films, we once more, can look up on the silver screen and proclaim,

This IS A STAR WARS FILM!

By the first few minutes of celluloid alone it is beautifully clear, JJ Abrams and his team have created a fitting end to our multi-generation’s Space Opera that is compelling, exciting and larger than life. 

We live in the days where we can finally and proudly claim we once again have a movie that is well worthy an heir to the Originals.

There can be no doubt JJ Abrams made a film for the fans, and there maybe those who decry this story beats as simple fan service.   Well butter my popcorn and tip of my root beer because that’s what I’m here for.

For those wondering, I can say that many unanswered questions (and even derisive complaints) are addressed in the narrative.  Certain issues that may have been wrought by the last film are tempered and smoothed out.

The first half of the film may seem a little jarring, the pacing of the story is a blitz and more rapid than a supped up speeder bike.  

Scene cuts to another scene and Abrams & company assume the audience can keep up with the story twists and controversial turns, giving the viewers what they want right when they want it, at times BEFORE the audience realizes they wanted it.

Of course Carrie/Leia is honored, and C3PO gets a story arc, the new leads get to shine.

There is more than enough parts nostalgia, emotional investment for the characters and good natured humor thrown in the film experience help let you escape to a Galaxy far, far away.

As fans, we owe John Williams a Life Debt.   The musical score is BEAUTIFUL.   I could watch the whole movie sans dialogue and still be awestruck at the grandeur of the compositions.  John Williams unequivocally remains the uncontested Jedi Master.  He gets my vote for the first human we clone.

There are some DEEP cuts in the film,  I am happy to say that some Legends material are once again Canon, some dealing with The Force, the Jedi and the Sith.

Was it as good as The Empire Strikes Back?

Oh come on you scruffy looking nerf herder!

In a New York minute see if you can name me five pieces of art as profound and memorable as Episode V.

MY Imperial ADVICE BEFORE YOU WATCH THE MOVIE

Avoid the rampant spoilers and naysayers, butter the popcorn, wear comfy clothes, hit the restroom, the sit down and SMILE.  

No need to be skeptical or have low expectations, leave your life's worries behind for two hours, and invite your six your old self along for the ride. 

Be a kid again. 

You owe it to yourself.  Meet the movie half way, the movie will Wookiee charge to meet you.

The Rise of Skywalker is deserving successor of the all three Trilogies. 

Thank you George Lucas, Thank you JJ, Thank you Mark, Harrison and all the rest.

We miss you Peter, Kenny, and Carrie!

Thank you all for making me a fan of the Saga.

I’m going to find baby Yoda,  I need a hug.

I humbly share your opinion.

The first half of the film may seem a little jarring, the pacing of the story is a blitz and more rapid than a supped up speeder bike.

Maybe I am now used to the pacing of the TV shows, but I found several scenes in the first act nearly bad because of the fast cuts and chopped dialogs.

If I would give The Empire Strikes Back a 120 out of 100, and A New Hope 100/100,  I would give The Force Awakens about a 88.

With that, for now I’ll give The Rise of Skywalker a 76 to 79 range out of the 100.

You are harsh. After a first viewing I would rate it above episodes 7 and 8.

I don't know... the movie failed to move me in any way*.

Definitively the low point of the Sequel Trilogy for me. 

The movie didn't left me disappointed... it left me empty.

*My excitement didn't last the whole opening crawl. What's wrong with me? I guess I'm more into the simplicity of The Mandalore than this grand, larger than life roller-coaster JJ Abrams tried to sell.

Edited by Odanan

I've stewed over the film for half a day now, and I find my thoughts from the midnight release down here in Australia are holding true: that it was a completely unmitigated disaster. And this is coming from someone who actually liked the last two episodes and loved Rogue One and Solo, so it's not like I'm projecting existing bias against the new films onto it.

This was not only the low point of the Sequel Trilogy, it was the low point of Star Wars cinema as a whole. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones at least had some highly entertaining set-pieces; this abomination's main set-pieces are just like the rest of it: overblown to the point of parody and rushed to the point of being nonsensical. Besides one solid sequence, which stands out because it was just about the only point in the film where it took a moment to stop and breathe and actually build a little bit of tension, this film has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Edited by DR4CO

I actually kind of really liked the first 2/3'rds of the film much more than what I expected, of course after my low-point in The Last Jedi, my expectations coming in to the premiere was low, but Rise Of Skywalker is in my humble opinion actually a good movie. They even nailed the humor perfectly this time, very Original Trilogy, unlike the Jar Jar humor from the Prequels. My main problem with the film was the ending or the last 1/3'rd. I will keep this spoiler free, but since the wreck of the Death Star and the fight between Kylo and Rey has been spoiled, I can mention that here, and while I really loved that scene, everything that came after was what pulled this movie down for me.

I agree with DR4CO that the movie was rushed and overblown, there were just too much content - or I am getting old.  

Do I want to see the movie again: Yes, perhaps I will change my view of the final 1/3'rd.  

For the Sequel Trilogy as a whole, I like it. The movies are the prettiest SW movies you can get, good acting, there is just a lot of beautiful space combat and fights, and it looks and feels like Star Wars. But it is just like there is missing an overall story, a purpose if you will - what is the message the Sequel Trilogy wants to convey? 

The Original Trilogy was about rebellion against an evil Empire, and the classic Hero’s journey filled with temptations (in many forms), redemption of Vader, and that in the end Good triumphs over Evil. 

The Prequel Trilogy was about the Rise of Palpatine and how he masterfully manipulates the political threads to come to power. The conflict between Master and a (more) powerful Apprentice, which resonated SO much with me at the time as I was doing my PhD and had similar conflicts with my Professor. And finally the fall of Anakin. While there are a lot of bad things with the execution of the Prequels, F*CK me the overall story was nice.

The Sequel Trilogy?!? I really don’t know - It kind just feels like a gorgeous reboot/remash of the Original Trilogy. Perhaps the message is that you cannot keep Evil or evil Empires down - they are like the Flu, impossible to exterminate, and after you fight them and win, they always comes back in new forms. 

Edited by Sciencius

8 hours ago, Sciencius said:

The Sequel Trilogy?!? I really don’t know - It kind just feels like a gorgeous reboot/remash of the Original Trilogy. Perhaps the message is that you cannot keep Evil or evil Empires down - they are like the Flu, impossible to exterminate, and after you fight them and win, they always comes back in new forms. 

evil-will-always-5b914c.jpg

10 hours ago, Sciencius said:

I haven't seen it yet but this sort of reads like the theme you noticed is "If you love something be ready to fight for it, because something will seek to destroy it."

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:05 AM, Sciencius said:

I agree with DR4CO that the movie was rushed and overblown, there were just too much content - or I am getting old.  

No, I agree.  My very first gut instinct reaction was "this should have been 2 movies."

It's possible that with the advent of GoT and other multi-season shows, Hollywood has forgotten how to make 2 hour movies.  The "short story" of cinema is becoming a lost art to the Spectacle of World-Building.

Personally, I'm glad it over.  Not because I hated it, but because Disney can stop trying to blend the old with the new, and just make Modern Star Wars.

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

No, I agree.  My very first gut instinct reaction was "this should have been 2 movies."

It probably should have been, but Ep. 8 seemed to spend its screen time with tearing down what Ep. 7 had built up, so there's a bit of a lost opportunity there resulting in a rushed conclusion. 

Edited by kris40k

On 12/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, Darth Meanie said:

It's possible that with the advent of GoT and other multi-season shows, Hollywood has forgotten how to make 2 hour movies.  The "short story" of cinema is becoming a lost art to the Spectacle of World-Building.

Personally, I'm glad it over.  Not because I hated it, but because Disney can stop trying to blend the old with the new, and just make Modern Star Wars.

Movies, stories, TV Series, just about anything that involves media. The only thing Hollywood know how to make is money and pandering political statements. Other than that they make worthless garbage, to the point where the industry is no longer worth supporting anymore. Perhaps the movie making and film industry would be best served if more of the production and management is moved out of S. Cal.

I enjoyed the movie. I'm not going to lie and say it was the best, or that there weren't things I had issues with or questions I had afterwards. But overall, I was entertained and it provided an ending I can be happy with. Darth Meanie made a comment that reflects my own thoughts in the now Disney isn't tied to "converting" Star Wars - now they can move on and be free to openly explore aspects of Star Wars without needing to relate it back to anything else. I hope they take a break from movies and figure out a plan for the next ones as I think that is the biggest flaw with the sequel trilogy.

I was discussing it with a friend at work and we decided the trilogy lacks focus the way the other two trilogies do. Even though there were details and changes made to the script during filming of the originals (biggest one I can think of is Luke and Leia being siblings, which wasn't planned during filming of Empire Strikes Back), the altered details didn't alter the overall progression of the story. George Lucas approached those trilogies with a larger vision of the overall story from the beginning. The Force Awakens, while maybe not taking many risks, set up a lot of potential up for further character development, plot threads and interesting ideas. It was like JJ said, "Here is the foundation and general direction of where we are going". With The Last Jedi, it was like Johnson said "Naw man, I've got this other story to tell". And then with The Rise of Skywalker JJ was like "K, but back to what I was saying before...". Individually, I've enjoyed all of them, but collectively as a trilogy they don't tell the same kind of story as the other trilogies.

Hopefully with the inevitable next trilogy (wherever and whenever it takes place in the Star Wars universe), Disney learns from this and maps out the major story elements from the beginning. Change the script, alter the details, change the locations and settings all you want. If they develop a concept for what the overall story is and where it is going over the course of all three movies it'll end up coming out a lot more cohesive.

TL;DR - I've enjoyed the sequel trilogy, but to me they all feel more like standalone movies involving the same characters rather than a single story.

Edited by Unit34