DanteRotterdam

The Rise of Skywalker (Spoiler thread)

I am surprised that so many People here liked 7 and 8. Under my starwars-reallife Friends not a single one likes the new movies. all opinions were between "it is ok" and "terrible"

This is not meant offensive, if u enjoy them enjoy them.

4 minutes ago, Seguleh said:

I am surprised that so many People here liked 7 and 8. Under my starwars-reallife Friends not a single one likes the new movies. all opinions were between "it is ok" and "terrible"

The Force Awakens was solid. It checked all the right boxes, and set up some great characters and situations.

The Last Jedi was amazing, honoring the past while not hugging it to death. Its message of anyone choosing to be a hero, rather than relying on being someone “special” was uplifting.

The Rise of Skywalker was...adequate. A conclusion that tossed the potential of the previous two installments aside in favor of playing safe, and - worst of all - stomping on the previous movie’s message by saying greatness is dependent upon a special heritage.

36 minutes ago, Seguleh said:

In my real-life scene it is the complete opposite. People really enjoy the new films and we have mostly positive discussions. 
Although there was one who loved TLJ and then hated it after he thought he was supposed to do that and then was surprised that we all didn’t care for internet bs and he has since rereverted. 
I guess not all my friends are mature 40 year olds. 😂

1 hour ago, Seguleh said:

The surprise stems from the adhesion to the law of small numbers, and other experiential stumps that we generalise from. The grounds for the whole "controversy" within fandom stems from the fallacious conclusions drawn from anecdotal evidence and cognitive biases.

I can get why some people don't like those films, or just find them meh to ok. Personally I love them both, but had a conflicted relationship with them at the time of release.

I also love episode 9 after the second viewing (I merely liked it after the first, I guess). Things made more sense somehow.

It is still very intense and leaves no room to breathe, and sure there are things I'd love to see more of or have better explained, and so on was it a clone or the corpse of Palps and so on et cetera ad nauseam blah blah Maz Kanata and the lightsaber, blah blah, there was more than enough exposition in the film. Give the ancillary media something to work with too :ph34r:

Edited by Jegergryte

Hm, no the surprise stems from the needles violations of canon/common sense, a lack of creativity that is filled up with nostalgia, a bunch of lame, unfunny puns, the lack of a Story, and the 200 psykes that are now in every movie, and the lack of a competend Evil that builds any kind of threat. I love Episode 4 and 5 because there is real tension and the evil guys are intimmidating and real Drama happens. When I watched Awakening 2 days ago the whole Cinema had to laugh about the last Kylo/Rey Scene, first when his Hand came up again and then the whole revive/kiss/die Scene, because it was so... worn of?

but we are all between 28 and 35, maybe we are just not the targeted audience anymore

I don't get why people are so hung up on these little messages in the film.  I couldn't be less interested in the pissing contest Abrams seems to want to start with Johnson... but that also means I don't let it detract from the fun of the movie.  I thought it was cool that Rey turned out to be nobody, but that wasn't the basis of why I liked TLJ.  I liked it because it told a good story.  It was dumb to retcon it, but not so dumb that I can't forgive it in light of RoS's other virtues.

Plus, it gives us the seed of a great story... working on ideas now for an adventure where my PCs help Rey's dad escape his father's clutches!

I just saw the movie yesterday with my mom for my birthday and we both loved it. The big reveal that Rey was Palpatine’s granddaughter was great. While I loved TLJ, the point that she was “nobody” never sat well with me given how the saga itself is specifically about a family legacy. However, what really made this revelation so perfect is that it’s not because of her legacy as “heir” to Palpatine that made her great, but in spite of it. Her lineage is one of pure darkness and yet she was able to rise above that to become a true hero and beacon of light and hope. If she had been a true “nobody” those stakes wouldn’t have been there; that drama, that pathos, that Conflict would have been meaningless. By linking her to Palpatine directly as his descendant, it makes their final showdown personal and her choice to fight against his evil that much more powerful.

10 hours ago, penpenpen said:

Hmm, it might be the most damning thing of all that I already have lost most interest in discussing the film.

It was exactly what it seemed on the surface, and quality-wise it's.... fine.

And I've pretty much run out of things to say about it after a week.

It's telling when, for tonight's entertainment, me and my friend were thinking of seeing Star Wars for a second time but  then decided to go see Cats instead.

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I really hope that was a joke. :P

I wish it wasn't,  but oh yes - I'm going in! Everything I hear about the flick is that it's a magnificent, amazing, spectacle of a trainwreck. So yes, we shall smoke Snoop levels of weed and "enjoy" the movie.

2 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Eight-legged spider-cats from the Abyss?!?

Or was that supposed to be LOL cats or Lothal cats instead? :)

Spoonerisms abound.

I went and looked it up.  Its "Loth-Cat."

5 hours ago, Seguleh said:

I guess with time, we tend to surround us with people that share our opinions and it creates a kind of group thinking.

In my group of friends, most opinions range from ’good’ to ‘great’. I have one friend that didn’t like it, but didn’t think it was horrible. I have one gaming friend that sent me his opinion after first viewing it as ‘liking it’, but a couple month later he did a 180 and started giving me reasons why he hated it straight from youtube videos.

Strangest situation I had to face was in a gaming store out of town where the owner started to throw a tantrum when I said that I personally liked episode 8... it was a really awkward situation and I decided to not argue with him because it was quite embarassing... 

Edited by Red Castle

2 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I found Kylo's return to the helmet especially pathetic and a sign of character regression. Having a visual reminder in the red "Sith glue" holding the pieces of the helmet together just made it worse.

Did you notice that a chimpanzee put that helmet back together? Not an alien that looks like a chimp, but an actual chimp.

It was as if the design team forgot to conceptualize a design for that alien and just said “just thrown in a chimp, the scene is quick, no one will notice.”

I noticed, and it made me expect Kylo to see the destroyed Death Star in the sea and say “you maniacs! You blew it up!”

2 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

It was as if the design team forgot to conceptualize a design for that alien and just said “just thrown in a chimp, the scene is quick, no one will notice.”

Don't worry. I'm sure chimps will soon be canon. Lucas didn't have enough aliens for the Cantina scene in 1977 so he used an old wolfman suit from the prop room. He later edited it back out, but not before the had "Shistavanen" as a new alien species. The chimp species is on its way for sure. 

2 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I just saw the movie yesterday with my mom for my birthday and we both loved it. The big reveal that Rey was Palpatine’s granddaughter was great. While I loved TLJ, the point that she was “nobody” never sat well with me given how the saga itself is specifically about a family legacy. However, what really made this revelation so perfect is that it’s not because of her legacy as “heir” to Palpatine that made her great, but in spite of it. Her lineage is one of pure darkness and yet she was able to rise above that to become a true hero and beacon of light and hope. If she had been a true “nobody” those stakes wouldn’t have been there; that drama, that pathos, that Conflict would have been meaningless. By linking her to Palpatine directly as his descendant, it makes their final showdown personal and her choice to fight against his evil that much more powerful.

But that conflict would totally still have been meaningful if she was a nobody. The Skywalkers were clearly her adopted family, and one she was fighting to protect and honour the memories of. Mixing in a second family legacy dilutes it; now it's not the Skywalker saga, it's the Skywalker-Palpatine saga.

11 minutes ago, Talkie Toaster said:

now it's not the Skywalker saga, it's the Skywalker-Palpatine saga.

It always was the Skywalker-Palpatine saga.

Just now, Talkie Toaster said:

But that conflict would totally still have been meaningful if she was a nobody. The Skywalkers were clearly her adopted family, and one she was fighting to protect and honour the memories of. Mixing in a second family legacy dilutes it; now it's not the Skywalker saga, it's the Skywalker-Palpatine saga.

I'm neutral on the choice of her legacy, but I disagree that she could simply be a nobody without a legacy tying her into the saga.The saga films have always been the Skywalker Saga. There is room for Johnson's meritocracy of the Force and a rise of the nobodies in the broader Star Wars franchise, but trying to go that route with the core saga showed a deep misunderstanding of the overarching themes of lineages and legacies embedded in the saga's narrative DNA. Luke's Jedi trial boiled down to the question: do I become my father or do I redeem him? And, how do I redeem him and remain true to the teachings of the Jedi? Rey being a Palpatine sets up a narrative parallelism between her and Luke. They were both grappling with legacies and the choices they had to make. Rey had to answer the question: do I become my grandfather or do I redeem my family line? And, if I am to redeem them how do I do so and stay true to the teachings of the Jedi? Having Rey choose to reject Palpatine and adopt herself into being Skywalker in the end underscores the message that lineages and legacies are not deterministic and that you are what you choose to make of yourself in a way having her be a nobody ever could.  In other words, your legacy is what you choose for yourself. That opens the door to a lot of nobodies.