Sign in to follow this  
Kheda'li

Changing to Genesys

Hi Forum,

I have been running a fantasy gurps game for a while, and the players are hoping to try a different system. While I understand we cannot do a complete conversion of our gurps characters to genesys, I was curious to see how well we can convert the characters. Right now, we have a few humanoid characters that I think would be easy to convert over. We also have two quadruped, intelligent wolf characters, that I am wondering how we would model if we did switch to the Genesys system. How well does Genesys handle strange and unusual characters? Can it handled quadruped characters, like dragons, and feral wolves, and that sort of thing? Any suggestions for modeling these types of races that are not normally humanoid-type characters?

Thanks!

In my opinion what differentiates one character from another in Genesys (aside from stats) are the Talents. Talents can cover pretty much anything to define a character. Some Talents are inherent (which can be somewhat unique), and player characters get them during character creation and most can be bought later on with experience points.

Your human characters could be converted pretty easily, I guess. For your wolf characters you would have to invent a new archetype. In Realms of Terrinoth are some kind of cat people if I am not mistaken which could be used as a template easily enough.

The rules generally assume playing a humanoid character. That said, the rules don't have a lot of specific assumptions related to that. For example, the rules for playing a robot are adapted from Star Wars, where they allowed you to play humanoid robots like C-3PO or IG-88 as well as motorized trashcans like R2-D2 or hovering drones like G0-T0. There are no rules to handle those different propulsion methods - they all move according to same rules human characters use.

I second using the catfolk species from Terrinoth for a wolf character - between its increased mobility, improved natural attacks and a bonus to Cunning, it seems adequately equipped to handle a wild animal PC just as well as it handles a humanoid cat. Maybe add some extra XP to make up for the limitations of the animal form, but only if they're something that actually comes up in the game.

The dragon seems more problematic, as by the label alone, it's something one would assume to be rather superior to a human being in a number of ways, and possessed of certain supernatural abilities that'd warrant getting statted out. 

I don't think Genesys provides any inherent support for non-humanoid characters... By which I mean all of the published player species are essentially humanoid, or treated as such.

However, there's nothing preventing you from creating an intelligent wolf species/archetype. There are pretty simple rules for creating your own species, and a few examples of species with natural weapons, like claws, to draw from. So the main hurdle would be evaluating a non-humanoid's inability to wear normal armor and use normal weapons. The value of such a disability would have to be compared to whatever natural weapons they possess and equipment they have access to.

For a race with powerful natural weapons, access to magic, and/or specialized weapons and armor, not being humanoid is a negligable disability. Barring those things I'd start by giving such a disability a value of up to +25 starting experience, and adjust that value based on playtesting.

I want to point out that if you are having trouble coming up with stats for non humanoid characters that the Star Wars books have stats for a lot of alien races that might fit what you are looking for.

Just take a look on their forum, I think they have a race menagerie or something you might be able to use.

Sorry for the long response! Travel time around the holidays.

True, I did not think about the alien species in Edge of the Empire. I have plenty of those books, so time to crack them open and see what I can make.

Thank you for all the suggestions! The suggestions definitely helped point me in the right direction. I'll have to see what I can come up with as a result!

I suppose this is a follow-up question to the conversion!

How would I go about creating these types of powers? Most characters in GURPs have some kind of supernatural powers. One of the characters has an Insubstantiality power that lets her phase through walls. I thought about creating it as a heroic power, but I feel like a talent might be better. I also have characters with range innate attacks that are not race specific that I am wondering how I could convert over?

Edited by Kheda'li

15 hours ago, Kheda'li said:

How would I go about creating these types of powers? Most characters in GURPs have some kind of supernatural powers. One of the characters has an Insubstantiality power that lets her phase through walls. I thought about creating it as a heroic power, but I feel like a talent might be better. I also have characters with range innate attacks that are not race specific that I am wondering how I could convert over?

Most "powers" can easily be done with the existing magic system. Just take the Signature Spell talent from Terrinoth and make it (and the Improved version) ranked. Each "spell" is instead a power they can use.

As for an insubstantiality power, there is an adversary ability called Ghostly that should fit the bill: "This adversary may move over or through terrain (including doors and walls) without penalty. Halve the damage dealt to this adversary before applying soak, unless the attack came from a magical or supernatural source such as a spell, a blessed weapon, or another spirit."

Check out the Settings forum section there is others that might have unusual Races, if not there is a Setting book coming out through Discord and maybe even the Facebook Pages with Settings as well. I am helping out with a conversion for Rifts that will eventually have the Dragon wolf converted over some time in the near future maybe even in our next Book as I helped with the Races and Adversaries for the first book. Intelligent Wolves are very much do able.