Sign in to follow this  
OttRod

Spoilers

I watched the first half of that last night to see the Cap deck but didn't watch the GG unboxing. I don't mind having the heroes spoiled (gives me the opportunity to start mentally tweaking the deck before I can get my hands on it) but I like the scenarios to be a surprise. All in all, I'm happy with the Cap deck. Yeah, there are reprints, but it's almost all stuff I want more multiples of anyway.

Now if Team Covenant would just start shipping those subscriptions.*

*I didn't help my impatience at all by watching The Avengers yesterday.

There was something that struck me as very interesting in that.  One of the modules has a reprint of Gang-Up in it.  Reprinting one of the encounter cards from the Standard set means that there is the possibility of having Shadows of the Past reprinted in a module, or even a scenario.  I could imagine someone like Kingpin having it in their set of encounter cards as they go searching for someone that would be willing to oppose the specific hero that was tracking them down now.

Yeah - I only watched the Cap unboxing too. There did seem like a few more reprints than they said in the FFG livestream.

(rewatches the YouTube)

9 reprints in total, they suggested 5 on the livestream - not sure what to think about that, I was ok with 4 or 5........ 

Edited by Daft Blazer

1 hour ago, Daft Blazer said:

Yeah - I only watched the Cap unboxing too. There did seem like a few more reprints than they said in the FFG livestream.

(rewatches the YouTube)

9 reprints in total, they suggested 5 on the livestream - not sure what to think about that, I was ok with 4 or 5........ 

11, if you count the Hydra Soldiers in his Nemesis set.

That said, there are 24 never-before-seen cards in a full playset of each, which is more new content than most other 60-card LCG packs.  Which is because there are more cards for which a full playset is less than 3.

2 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

They probably meant by card title but that is a little slippery. I won't hold it against them cause hopefully that means they're 20 heroes in and legitimately forgot. 

By card title there are 8 reprinted hero cards and 1 reprinted encounter card.

While the lack of reprints and the scattering of synergizing cards across multiple expansion packs does not bother the deckbuilder-type of gamer who buys everything no matter what, this does turn the casual player away, and with good reason. In the case of Marvel Champions, FFG has clearly decided to satisfy the latter type of player instead of the former, and I for one wholeheartedly applaud them for that. 16 copies of Genius/Energy/Strength may look weird in the storage box of the deckbuilder-collector gamer, but FFG will not care, I think that much is clear, even though they do indeed continue to feed us candy with the extra cards in every hero pack. 😅

Still I have to say that if, right now, I had 33 times the trio Genius/Energy/Strength in my box, I would still have a lesser number of cards I don't play with than my two-year collection of L5R. Ouch...

Let the reprints come.

2 minutes ago, Ascarel said:

While the lack of reprints and the scattering of synergizing cards across multiple expansion packs does not bother the deckbuilder-type of gamer who buys everything no matter what, this does turn the casual player away, and with good reason. In the case of Marvel Champions, FFG has clearly decided to satisfy the latter type of player instead of the former, and I for one wholeheartedly applaud them for that. 16 copies of Genius/Energy/Strength may look weird in the storage box of the deckbuilder-collector gamer, but FFG will not care, I think that much is clear, even though they do indeed continue to feed us candy with the extra cards in every hero pack. 😅

Still I have to say that if, right now, I had 33 times the trio Genius/Energy/Strength in my box, I would still have a lesser number of cards I don't play with than my two-year collection of L5R. Ouch...

Let the reprints come.

Yeah I dont understand the reprint complaint.  I have a billion extra cards from buying two copies of lotr core and 3 copies of warhammer invasion and 2 of the first deluxe for invasion.  Now the other lcgs I bought into I didnt go all in like that, and you know what, I would have LOVED to have valueable reprints there.

This seems like a non-issue really compared to other lcg requirements and as someone mentioned 24 new unique cards is more than the 20 unique cards the competitive lcgs offered and the what 9? Per pack lotr offered (cant speak to AH, never bought any)

There’s 8 reprints in Ms Marvel.

I’m not to concerned - if the 9 reprints in Captain America, the Leadership reprints (Hawkeye, 2 x Power if Leadership, 2 x Make the Call) are all actually useful if you want to run 2 x Leadership Aspect players in a single game.

The Neutrals are less useful, but it’s fine in general for playable decks. Ms Marvel has an extra copy of Avengers Mansion, which will be useful.

I am NOT considering the 2 x Hydra Soldiers in Captain America’s nemesis deck reprints. They can be used with all of your existing copies if the card and have synergy with the Legions of Hydra Module. I don’t think we need 15 different versions of a Generic Hydra minion just for the sake of uniqueness (we already have 3 different basic Hydra mooks...)

On 12/14/2019 at 12:04 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

There was something that struck me as very interesting in that.  One of the modules has a reprint of Gang-Up in it.  Reprinting one of the encounter cards from the Standard set means that there is the possibility of having Shadows of the Past reprinted in a module, or even a scenario.  I could imagine someone like Kingpin having it in their set of encounter cards as they go searching for someone that would be willing to oppose the specific hero that was tracking them down now.

I’m really excited for some new modular sets. I’m planning to run a make shift Sinister 6 Scenario:

Play Rhino with Power Drain and A Mess of Things and Spider-Man’s Nemesis set. Remove Shadows of the past and the Hydra minions from Rhino’s deck.

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

There’s 8 reprints in Ms Marvel.

I’m not to concerned - if the 9 reprints in Captain America, the Leadership reprints (Hawkeye, 2 x Power if Leadership, 2 x Make the Call) are all actually useful if you want to run 2 x Leadership Aspect players in a single game.

The Neutrals are less useful, but it’s fine in general for playable decks. Ms Marvel has an extra copy of Avengers Mansion, which will be useful.

I am NOT considering the 2 x Hydra Soldiers in Captain America’s nemesis deck reprints. They can be used with all of your existing copies if the card and have synergy with the Legions of Hydra Module. I don’t think we need 15 different versions of a Generic Hydra minion just for the sake of uniqueness (we already have 3 different basic Hydra mooks...)

Over time I can see having a bunch of different decks built with my favorite heroes, so the reprints are great for me. This is making assumptions as to what heroes will be coming down the pipe, but I see having decks for Captain America, Dr. Strange, Punisher, Daredevil, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Nightcrawler, Rogue, and of course Wolverine complete and ready to go at any moment. Of course I'll tweak them as more cards come out, and I like the idea of having a couple of sets of different aspects for each of those heroes. For instance, having a dialed in Leadership aspect and a dialed in Protection aspect for Cap so I can easily switch between the two depending on what the group needs or which villain I'm up against. And with enough of the right neutrals, I could also have sets to set aside for both aspect decks for each hero.

None of the modular sets seem super threatening on their own. Not sure, I would rate any higher than level 3 (based on impressions). That said, I think there are some combos that increase their threat level, for example, Electro+Klaw seems pretty nasty.

4 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

None of the modular sets seem super threatening on their own. Not sure, I would rate any higher than level 3 (based on impressions). That said, I think there are some combos that increase their threat level, for example, Electro+Klaw seems pretty nasty.

Those attachments in the Tombstone deck look pretty nasty... Goblin Gimmicks probably looks the easiest to me, but it’s still got some 3 boosts (but it’s 8 cards without any minions or Side Schemes). Scorpion is an extremely nasty minion as well - 3 Damage Quickstrike and Stun? 3 Scheme as well? Ouch.

10 hours ago, Deadwolf said:

Yeaaaah they’re only really terrible with the wrong combination vs the wrong combo of player deck.

I think right now (and especially with some of the options coming out this week) the worst is gonna be dumping a load of all the Hydra stuff into Expert Rhino. His deck is small enough to allow the Legions to flourish, IMO, plus the small threat limit playing solo can be rough.

35 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeaaaah they’re only really terrible with the wrong combination vs the wrong combo of player deck.

I think right now (and especially with some of the options coming out this week) the worst is gonna be dumping a load of all the Hydra stuff into Expert Rhino. His deck is small enough to allow the Legions to flourish, IMO, plus the small threat limit playing solo can be rough.

Especially with Cap in the mix. Shadows of the past would just add MORE Hydra.

7 hours ago, FearLord said:

Those attachments in the Tombstone deck look pretty nasty... Goblin Gimmicks probably looks the easiest to me, but it’s still got some 3 boosts (but it’s 8 cards without any minions or Side Schemes). Scorpion is an extremely nasty minion as well - 3 Damage Quickstrike and Stun? 3 Scheme as well? Ouch.

I see those as more annoying than actually threatening. They are basically, lose 2 cards from your hand (and are less optional than the villian attachments) I agree that all of the feature minions are pretty nasty but none of the sets have side schemes on the level of Legions of Hydra or Doomsday Chair that are annoying in their own right and bring in a nasty minion.

Edited by Deadwolf

1 hour ago, Deadwolf said:

I see those as more annoying than actually threatening. They are basically, lose 2 cards from your hand (and are less optional than the villian attachments) I agree that all of the feature minions are pretty nasty but none of the sets have side schemes on the level of Legions of Hydra or Doomsday Chair that are annoying in their own right and bring in a nasty minion.

Media coverage is an alter ego action. That in and of itself is a fairly big deal...

Edited by FearLord

I am okay with that though.  Something that Lord of the Rings did really well was have a variety of difficulties when releasing quests.  I dont think every modular set or scenario should try to one up the last on difficulty.  Some scenarios are going to be easier than ones that came out in the past since everyone enjoys different things and they want to appeal to wide audience