Surak

NOW ON LIST FORTRESS -X-wing charity Event (Kent, United Kingdom) Saturday 22nd Feb 2020

The reason

2 Years ago we lost our dear friend Nathan Ellis to an aggressive Brain Tumour. 

In his memory and to raise money for the Brain Tumour Charity, myself and two others (and a few able assistants) are organising an X Wing Miniatures Tournament.

Nathan was one of the most kind, selfless and supportive person. He was always willing to help, even in his darkest of times. He was truly our very own Super Hero. 

This event is giving us the opportunity to repay the kindness and support that Nathan gave all of us. 

The Brain Tumour Charity is the world's leading brain tumour charity and the largest dedicated funder of research into brain tumours globally. Committed to saving and improving lives, were moving further, faster to help every single person affected by a brain tumour.We're set on finding new treatments, offering the highest level of support and driving urgent change. And were doing it right now. Because we understand that when you, or someone you love, is diagnosed with a brain tumour a cure really can't wait.

The Event

The Kamion Open is a X-Wing event in support of the brain tumour charity.
https://www.thebraintumourcharity.org/

The event is being held at a Scout Headquarters in Gillingham, Kent, UK and all money raised from the tickets is going to the Charity above.

More information can be found on our Facebook page, but I've copied the"about" section here for convenience.

https://facebook.com/events/2451914275081764/?ti=as

This event is expected to be 5, 75 minute rounds; using the Swiss-style pairing system and with no cut. If we do not reach the recommended amount of people for a 5 round tournament, we will instead run 4 rounds. 

Each player is required to hand in a copy of their squad list to the TO at sign in. Squads must contain no more than 200 squad points and conform to all of the rules laid down in the core rulebook and tournament rules PDF. Rulings from the unofficial rules document will also be in effect at this event. The relevant information can be found in the links below.

Official FFG X Wing page.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

Unofficial Rules Document.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cSNaoKAThwjDhjjixO7u-MZZ3l5xu-LgKnRohhTIkYk/mobilebasic

We have a player cap of 48 spaces at this event.

This event will use the EXTENDED FORMAT.

ENTRY A £15 or more donation to our just giving page is all you need to do to book a place. 

The page can be found at: 
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kamino-open

***TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE***

We plan on running five rounds of Swiss, but with a difference! During the lunch break after the second round, we will be splitting the tournament based on bracket. Any player who has not won a game will be paired into a new bracket, containing 3 objective-based games with more prizes on offer. Players will still use their 200 point squad that they registered at the beginning of the day, so there will be no need to bring a second squad.

PRIZE SUPPORT 

Each player will receive an official FFG Alt Art Cartel Spacer as a participation prize. The winner of each pod will receive an official FFG Poe Dameron Alt Art and the overall winher will recieve an offacial FFG Alt Art Rebel Lando Calrisian in the YT-1300.

More TBC

There will be a minimum of four rounds in total, each running at 75 minutes (to a max of five rounds): 

ROUND ONE: 10:00-11:15
ROUND TWO: 11:30-12:45
***LUNCH BREAK***
ROUND THREE 13:30-14:45
ROUND FOUR: 15:00-16:15
ROUND FIVE: 16:30-17:45
PRIZE GIVING: 18:00

The Venue

As I said above, the venue is a Scout Association building that has kindly been donated for the day. There is on-site parking thanks to the adjacent school donating the use of their playground for the day.

There will be lunch available to purchase on-site, as well as bacon sandwiches during sign-in and snacks and drinks through the day. This is being provided by the Scouts and all money spent on refreshments is going directly to the Scout Group who donated the building.

Edited by Surak
Results are up

I'm not sure if I will be free - we've got an awful lot of stuff on in February - but I can be near enough certain someone from our local X-wing store will be going so I'll be sure to send along something if not. I hope you do really well; it's a fantastic cause.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I'll pass this on to the TNX Boys and any 186th fellows I have contact with. I can't make it myself thanks to now living across the pond, but I'll gladly help where I can.

I may also have some spare Alt-Arts I can send over for prize support. I'll have a look and PM you.

1 minute ago, Stryker359 said:

I'll pass this on to the TNX Boys and any 186th fellows I have contact with. I can't make it myself thanks to now living across the pond, but I'll gladly help where I can.

I may also have some spare Alt-Arts I can send over for prize support. I'll have a look and PM you.

That would be awesome, Harrison from the 186th is our TO so they hopefully already know about the event.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:42 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

I'm not sure if I will be free - we've got an awful lot of stuff on in February - but I can be near enough certain someone from our local X-wing store will be going so I'll be sure to send along something if not. I hope you do really well; it's a fantastic cause

Thanks for the encouragement, we will gladly accept whatever help the community would like to give.

13 minutes ago, Stryker359 said:

Ah sweet! Harrison's a great guy!

He is indeed - and he has not only volunteered to TO the event, but he's been helping the two of us that came up with the idea in the first place with various bits of organising

4 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

It’s a bit of a trek from Hastings but I’ll post on the Order 1066 page.

We would love for you to join us.

If it helps the scouts are selling bacon sandwiches during sign-in :)

if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away or PM me

Hi everyone,

As the event gets closer I've had a number of people ask about donating items for the prize pool.

After talking to the other organisers, I'm coordinating any donations from the community. So if anyone would like to add to the already amazing prize pool, drop me a PM on here, or drop me (Matt Chinn) a message on the Facebook page for the event.

Hi again,

With 3 weeks to go before the event, I just wanted to let everyone know we still have some tickets available for the event.

We have a limited amount of space for the event (48 players), so if you are planning on attending I'd suggest that you book a ticket on the Facebook event page as we currently have 54 people registered as interested.

As always, if you have any questions drop me a message - or catch any of the three organisers at the UK System Open

So with less than a week to go we have about 20 tickets left for the event.

We can now also confirm the Firestorm Squadron are going to be streaming the event for us! Thanks guys!

We have also posted a picture of some of the swag for the event on the Facebook page,  head over here to see what we've had donated (it's pretty impressive) https://facebook.com/events/s/the-kamino-open-a-charity-x-wi/2451914275081764/?ti=cl

Look forward to seeing some of you there!

So I'll do a proper post here later, sleep needs to happen soon, but the event is finished and the venue is cleared - and just...wow.

£1,416.04 raised for The Brain Tumor Charity.

Players - you made my first large event as a co-organiser really good (thanks Harry and Martin for helping keep things running)

Firestorm Firecast - Nic you are a legend as were the generous people in your stream.

22nd Gillingham Scout Group - thank you for the venue and food+drink 

I'll do proper thank yous when I'm more awake and won't forget the people I clearly am...

Awesome day mate, we had an absolute blast. Such a great thing to be part of and the format suited us down to the ground :D

Congrats on the success, it was so well deserved. Looking forward to the next one!

8 hours ago, Surak said:

And the Kamino Open is now on List Fortress!

I'll note that the zeroes dropped for a side event. My squad is not that bad, honest! :D

We all loved those scenarios. Huge fun!

11 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

I'll note that the zeroes dropped for a side event. My squad is not that bad, honest! :D

We all loved those scenarios. Huge fun!

Yes, Cryodex looked a bit strange once we dropped 6 people to the side event for the afternoon.

Here is the final standings for the main event

Rankings
Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 Mark Gibbons 4 1425 0.44
2 Peter Mancktelow 4 1320 0.55
3 Matt Clarke 4 1227 0.62
0 (D#5)Oli Pocknell 4 1189 0.4
4 Kyle Hill 4 1177 0.63
5 Malc Fell 3 1236 0.44
6 Pill Pond 3 1177 0.48
7 Micheal Ormiston 3 1032 0.56
8 Peter Lake 3 951 0.66