Sign in to follow this  
FATMOUSE

Any thoughts on CoC LCG?

I've dabbled with it. I find it to be a lot slower in both pacing of the game and turns. I'm also not a huge fan of the resource mechinic as I find that i'm putting cards in my deck just to be a resource.

Its got some fun parts and if you like the background its worth picking up at least a Core Set.

I play it pretty casually with some of the folks around here. It's a decent game, and the resource mechanic is different you have 3 "domains" that you drain for playing cards, and you attach cards from your hand to the domains. each card counts as a resource of the same color/faction, so it takes ahile to get cards on the board. But after a few turns it can drag into a long game as players decide who wants to attack (and kneel), leaving themselves defenseless to their opponent's attack. But because of the subject matter it is fun.

Thrones is better, though. :)

How odd. When I picked up CoC and started playing, I immediately noticed places in the design of the game where Eric obviously learned from mistakes made in AGoT. Don't get me wrong, AGoT is still my game of choice, but the overall way the mechanics flow is much better in CoC. Also, strangely I found it to be a much faster game than AGoT, though not as fast as WI seems to be shaping up into.

Lars, I think that you might be handicapping yourself by building decks like that. Why would you ever want to waste a slot in a deck on a card that you only want to resource? That's like running junk cards in AGoT just so your opponent can discard them from your hand during an intrigue challenge. Sure you might have difficult choices on which card in your hand is least likely to be useful and thus you can most afford to use as a resource rather than for it's ability but the key is in having the versatility in all of your cards being worthwhile as actual playable.

You know, I could go on for awhile about my theories of in equating resourcing in CoC with intrigue challenges in AGoT in relation to the two per turn draw built into each of our games rather than the 1 that seems to be standard in other games.

Guest Not In Sample

I play mostly WI for lots of reason, but I've started again playin' Agot...In the mean time, I follow CoC too...i used to play it at the "time of passage" from the first APs and the true LCG era...

WI is fast just because the strongest deck is fast...CoC is much more faster and "easier" than the others. It's pretty "combo-ish" and works a lot on sinergies. It has  a great resource mechanic that forces players to choose with a LOT of attention the cards to play, the cards to keep and the cards to use as resources...This mechanic, pushes the developers to make powerful middle/high cost cards that, when come out, tend to "dominate" the table without any effort.

When you're losing, it's pretty difficult to come back in the game and when the game starts fast, it usually ends REALLY fast  (2/3 turns). The game is pretty deep in some fashion: the story cards mechanic is pretty awesome and tends to make every game different from the others.

I quit playin' because it became too "simple" in the changin' process.

CoC still beats 'em all for the theme, card names and mood.

I think Agot is still on Top of FFG creations, for its depth, structure and mechanics, even if it's not that "easy".

WI is another great game, pretty different...Needs a bit of tuning, but in a couple of BPs (I know what's in there cause I helped in the translation) things are gettin' different and great things  are coming... :)

Anyway, I suggest you to buy the Core Set: you can get 21 different deck combinations and play lost of funny games. It's pretty simple out of the box, but it gives you an idea (I re-played CoC last night with the core set to show it to a friend of mine and it was a great game ;)).

I'll gladly answer your question, as I own and love both games, and, lately, I've been playing Call of Cthulhu more than Game of Trones.

Honestly, once you truly get the meaning of its mechanics, it's a nearly perfect game. Great artwork, good at recreating that Lovecraft atmosphere, deep, tactical and fun. The resource mechanic is one of its most ingenious aspects, as it forces you to play in a sort of "climax" fashion, just like Lovecraft's stories!...

A thing that in my opinion turned my meta towards it, at the expense of Game of Thrones, is the consistent marketing strategy of the product line. A Cthulhu Core Set gives you ALL the factions, with an average of 20 cards each. You can therefore play what you want, and adding some Asylum Packs and some Neutral cards, you can instantly build a regular 50 cards bi-faction tournament deck  which will be fun to play, mildly competitive and packed with some nice sinergies. Moreover, the first LCG cycle "Summons of the Deep" (which I improperly call "The Julia Brown Cycle") is perfect for giving muscles and suprises to an LCG beginner's deck as it offers good and sense making cards, without forcing you to new mechanics and to complex deckbuilding to exploit them...

On the opposite, a Game of Thrones Core Set gave you only 4 Factions out of the six available. Then, the first two white border LCG cycle were centered around two precise game mechanincs, while a beginner player would have asked, maybe, for some more generic vitamins for his/her core set deck...

In the end, I would judge Call of Cthulhu a solid 9 out of 10.

For your comparative information, I judge Game of Thrones a 10 out of 10. Although my critics about its marketing still stand, I love every aspect of it, and I consider the Plots (which no other card game has) the aspect that really make the game stand out in regards to strategy and fun.

Finally, I point out that I'm in no way a super-competitive player, nor I've ever purchased a CCG product in my whole life, not even Magic (expecially Magic!... ), nor I would ever buy three copies of the Core Set to have 3 X Cthulhu in my deck!. I'm rather a wargamer/roleplayer who loves both Lovecraft and Martin's literary works, and got the games as soon as they went the LCG way. Same goes for the people I play with. So this is the point of view of my judgement from; if you come from the CCG world and you love compeititive playing, combos, scientific deckbuilding and so on, then you should take my comments very carefully... gui%C3%B1o.gif