HirumaShigure

Thor reveal article up on FFG website

On 12/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, phillos said:

Spiderman has great resource generation, which lets him be more efficient with his cards.  I like his resource generation boost more than Captain Marvel and Black Panther since you can choose when to use it and it can be used over multiple turns, which makes it a more smooth resource solution.  Also if Spiderman is getting attacked alot he's doing just fine for card draw.  Spiderman's issue usually is being able to Thwart without aspect card help.  You have Spider Tracers but if they don't come out at the right time then they aren't helpful.  Because of that I feel Spiderman needs to stay hero longer than anyone else during the game, which is thematic.  He keeps wanting to flip back to Peter, but he can't  because villain thwarting can get out of control for him.  At least in solo that was my experience.

My problem with spiderman is that especially solo, he's almost impossible to advance the win condition with. He just doesn't have the attacking output of other heroes, is virtually useless at thwarting too. He's good as a support character for soaking hits but by himself he struggles.

17 hours ago, FearLord said:

I thought that was Black Widow (who has broken the punching bag thing) and a Wasp quote (complaining about it).

Turns out that’s correct, it is Black Widow, the artist (David Nakamaya) attributed it on Twitter.

Here’s the link to the, very similar but not a perfect match on the first silhouette: 

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/72340/merry_x-men_holiday_special_2018_1

On 12/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, Supertoe said:

My problem with spiderman is that especially solo, he's almost impossible to advance the win condition with. He just doesn't have the attacking output of other heroes, is virtually useless at thwarting too. He's good as a support character for soaking hits but by himself he struggles.

The easiest time I had was Justice/Spiderman since that gives him good Thwarting options and two allies that aren't bad at fighting in addition to Thwarting.  Between the allies and Spiderman attacking I can usually tread water until a Swinging Web Kick comes out or Nick Fury hits the board for a burst of damage.  It's usually a very slow going deck in my experience.

Add:  As an aside I was reading the current issue of the Fantastic Four and there was an add for Marvel Champions in there.  Not that it was completely unexpected, but it still felt a bit like two worlds (normally separate in my mind) colliding.

Edited by phillos

On 12/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, wurms said:

Dr. Strange or Iceman would be so "cool" to get. Love this game.

latest?cb=20151112041328

Whoa, that's not what I remember Iceman looking like! But I'm about 30 years past my comics-reading prime...

On 12/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, Derrault said:

Turns out that’s correct, it is Black Widow, the artist (David Nakamaya) attributed it on Twitter.

Here’s the link to the, very similar but not a perfect match on the first silhouette: 

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/72340/merry_x-men_holiday_special_2018_1

Ahh, I did see this piece, but I wrote it off since it would be pretty silly of them to use Christmas special art, and as you said, it doesn't match perfectly. I suppose it could just a similar pose to this piece, but at the moment that doesn't necessarily mean it will be by Nakayama, or that it will be Jean Grey.

6 hours ago, sverigesson said:

I suppose it could just a similar pose to this piece, but at the moment that doesn't necessarily mean it will be by Nakayama, or that it will be Jean Grey.

I think its pretty clear the silhouette and the Christmas art are different enough that there is no correlation between that art and the character it will be.

For now I think it's pretty obvious there will be no X-Men in the immediate future. They're pushing the Avengers pretty hard.

47 minutes ago, Majushi said:

I think its pretty clear the silhouette and the Christmas art are different enough that there is no correlation between that art and the character it will be.

For now I think it's pretty obvious there will be no X-Men in the immediate future. They're pushing the Avengers pretty hard.

Plus, this first year was probably heavy into development before they knew about the Sony deal.  Think we're looking 4th quarter / 2021 for FF or X-Men in this game.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think this may be the case.

9 hours ago, OttRod said:

Plus, this first year was probably heavy into development before they knew about the Sony deal.  Think we're looking 4th quarter / 2021 for FF or X-Men in this game.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think this may be the case.

Fox deal.

14 hours ago, OttRod said:

I see this misconception a lot with regard to this game. The Marvel movie rights have NOTHING to do with the board/card game rights.

23 minutes ago, sverigesson said:

I see this misconception a lot with regard to this game. The Marvel movie rights have NOTHING to do with the board/card game rights.

Not nothing, no.

Marvel spent years refocusing everything (comics, tv shows, merchandise, and toys/games) away from the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and onto the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Inhumans.

I don’t know what FFG’s license for this game looks like or looked like at the beginning, but it seems perfectly reasonable to Marvel might have not allowed X-Men or Fantastic Four content for a new card game.

58 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Not nothing, no.

Marvel spent years refocusing everything (comics, tv shows, merchandise, and toys/games) away from the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and onto the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Inhumans.

I don’t know what FFG’s license for this game looks like or looked like at the beginning, but it seems perfectly reasonable to Marvel might have not allowed X-Men or Fantastic Four content for a new card game.

It does, but the developers did say that they had no limitations imposed. Which is the only reason I’d consider X-men or Fantastic Four in the first place.

59 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Not nothing, no.

And even if Marvel didn't expressly forbid it, it makes good business/marketing sense for FFG to loosely follow what's in the public consciousness/tie releases into what's going on with Marvel in the wider sense. 

12 minutes ago, Derrault said:

It does, but the developers did say that they had no limitations imposed. Which is the only reason I’d consider X-men or Fantastic Four in the first place.

That’s good news! I think I’d be more surprised if we don’t see X-Men by wave 3, in that case. Just because there haven’t been movies, doesn’t mean X-Men are unpopular. And the designers are the right age to realize just how popular the X-Men are with a large portion of their demographic.

4 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Not nothing, no.

You are correct. MARVEL focused away from those groups. However, the best evidence that that doesn't really matter to the game licensing is Marvel Legendary, which for the past 6 or so years has had Fantastic Four, X-Men, Deadpool and Spider-Man content. So yes, you are right that in the past Marvel has changed their focused based on the success of their licensed franchises, I am correct when I stated that the two sets of right are unrelated.

2 hours ago, urloony said:

Any confirmation as to whether Jane Foster is in the Thor pack?

Based off of the FFG Live video scenario playthrough with Cap, Ms. Marvel, and Thor, it doesn't look like it. Sif is his ally and they didn't show any persona supports.

1 hour ago, maniakmedic said:

Based off of the FFG Live video scenario playthrough with Cap, Ms. Marvel, and Thor, it doesn't look like it. Sif is his ally and they didn't show any persona supports.

Odd choice to not include her

1 minute ago, Tarliyn said:

Odd choice to not include her

Not if you consider the probability that we'll see Jane Thor as a hero. Her not being included in Thor's deck is probably a good indication we will, considering she'd essentially end up being a dead card in Thor's deck if that's the case and I highly doubt FFG is going to use a character that is a hero in it's own right as a hero-specific persona or ally.

1 hour ago, maniakmedic said:

Not if you consider the probability that we'll see Jane Thor as a hero. Her not being included in Thor's deck is probably a good indication we will, considering she'd essentially end up being a dead card in Thor's deck if that's the case and I highly doubt FFG is going to use a character that is a hero in it's own right as a hero-specific persona or ally.

Yeah I thought of that too but they could make herr have double resource icons or something so even in the a situation you describe of Thor and Jane Foster Thor both being played the card is not dead, or some other effect when discarded as resource.

Just such an important character to Thor, odd to see her missing.

19 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

I mean by that logic we should see MJ in Spidey’s deck.

I never realized MJ wasnt in there (only ayed Spidey a few times)  that is a HUGE miss too

1 hour ago, Tarliyn said:

I never realized MJ wasnt in there (only ayed Spidey a few times)  that is a HUGE miss too

Nah, the designers clearly understood that Black Cat was best girl.

But now that I think I about it Peter's constant love triangles being an actual mechanic somehow would have been hilarious.