Sign in to follow this  
Stryker359

[BLOG] 2020 Changes to Organised Play

In its current state, I am not that mournful of Hyperspace’s reduced use. It moved out of the “new player friendly” focus awhile ago, and has basically become just a different Extended. 

However, what I am sad about is the potential removal of a format that could be reworked into something exciting. A limited format with a rotation could have been a really fun option. 

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that FFG is shuffling Hyperspace off to the side to get it right, y'know. ;)  Maybe when 2021 rolls around, we'll see a new and improved Hyperspace format to go with that new app they announced a while back.

Edited by feltipern1

5 hours ago, svelok said:

hyperspace being banished from every event but system opens is very, very, very close to the same thing as hyperspace being banished altogether

as a fan of hyperspace and a bigger fan of hyperspace's untapped potential, I am disappointed but not surprised

I agree. It's like this is it's last hurrah before being taken out back like Old Yeller...

5 hours ago, DR4CO said:

I am also disappointed but not surprised. I've gotten used to OP making the worst of all possible decisions for competitive X-wing of late. 🙄

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree this might not be the best foot forward on FFG's part.

5 hours ago, SabineKey said:

In its current state, I am not that mournful of Hyperspace’s reduced use. It moved out of the “new player friendly” focus awhile ago, and has basically become just a different Extended. 

However, what I am sad about is the potential removal of a format that could be reworked into something exciting. A limited format with a rotation could have been a really fun option. 

We live in hope for a true limited format, but that hope is fading...

4 hours ago, feltipern1 said:

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that FFG is shuffling Hyperspace off to the side to get it right, y'know. ;)  Maybe when 2021 rolls around, we'll see a new and improved Hyperspace format to go with that new app they announced a while back.

Oh I agree it could rise up like a Phoenix better than ever. Unfortunately, it could also not...

My biggest wish for a change in Organised play is to include the soon-to-be-released battlefields from the card packs. IMO It would be the second player who has to choose the battlefield. It would bring some of the Legion stuff and strategy, and you have to bring a balanced squad that can survive in various situations

I would like them to confirm exactly what Hyperspace is supposed to be; originally, it looked to be the 2.0-releases only game mode, but then it started drawing in unreleased ships to shore up particular factions. I've no ill will towards it (it made me consider U-Wings in a much more serious light), but it needs to have a clear one-line selling point.

On a personal level, I'd really like FFG to make changes to Prize Support. As things stand, outside of the recently announced prizes for the System Open Series, we've no idea what may be available. The 'regular play' kits are nice enough, but they seem to be the only thing on offer to stores for smaller tournaments. I appreciate that FFG want to conserve things like tokens for the larger events, but there is only so many copies of an alt art upgrade card you can give people before they decide it isn't worth the bother to attend an event. At my FLGS, we just hand out participation prizes now, as we've burned through our box of leftover 1st Edition prizes and have nothing else we can really give to those who place well.

2 hours ago, Silver_leader said:

My biggest wish for a change in Organised play is to include the soon-to-be-released battlefields from the card packs. IMO It would be the second player who has to choose the battlefield. It would bring some of the Legion stuff and strategy, and you have to bring a balanced squad that can survive in various situations

This is problematic when people bring deep bids. Being able to fly with perfect info on a board you chose is just asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

I would like them to confirm exactly what Hyperspace is supposed to be; originally, it looked to be the 2.0-releases only game mode, but then it started drawing in unreleased ships to shore up particular factions. I've no ill will towards it (it made me consider U-Wings in a much more serious light), but it needs to have a clear one-line selling point.

On a personal level, I'd really like FFG to make changes to Prize Support. As things stand, outside of the recently announced prizes for the System Open Series, we've no idea what may be available. The 'regular play' kits are nice enough, but they seem to be the only thing on offer to stores for smaller tournaments. I appreciate that FFG want to conserve things like tokens for the larger events, but there is only so many copies of an alt art upgrade card you can give people before they decide it isn't worth the bother to attend an event. At my FLGS, we just hand out participation prizes now, as we've burned through our box of leftover 1st Edition prizes and have nothing else we can really give to those who place well.

The lack of smaller prize support is irksome, yes. The Wave Kits are nice, but most stores don't (or can't) run them the way FFG intend - three smaller tournaments draws less of a crowd than one bigger one, and local participation on games night waxes and wanes with the moon.

I expect we'll get more information in this announcement in January.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

As regards whats on for next year I found out some info for store championships:

info from a European distributors web site. Looks like the store championships are coming back next year 😀

They are looking like a release at the end of January and the cycle of Store Champs running Jan - March.

Prizes look like (not completely clear how they split)

A coin for the winner

Top 2 a set of plastic cards

Top 4 damage decks

top 8 a set of 3 maneuver dials

top 16 An art print

top 32 and participation get alt art cards 96ish alt art cards in a kit

Edited by Storgar

13 minutes ago, Storgar said:

As regards whats on for next year I found out some info for store championships:

info from a European distributors web site. Looks like the store championships are coming back next year 😀

They're replacing Hyperspace Trials.

Good to know that there will be OP support for store kits, though it seems like it's really no different to what we had for Hyperspace Trials this year...

I wonder if the winner still gets a Worlds Invite?

49 minutes ago, Stryker359 said:

They're replacing Hyperspace Trials.

Good to know that there will be OP support for store kits, though it seems like it's really no different to what we had for Hyperspace Trials this year...

I wonder if the winner still gets a Worlds Invite?

The prizes seem really different, damage decks, art prints, dials.  I really please to see a good variety.  I doubt very much store champs will get world invites, old store champs used to get a bye for a regional.

Makes me think the new Prime champs (Regionals / Hyperspace trials) will have the dice and templates among other stuff but will be much rarer like the old regionals.  These will most likely get an invite to worlds in my opinion as these will likely be larger than hyperspace trials in size and fewer in number so more difficult to obtain tickets.