Sign in to follow this  
drainsmith

EPG Specialization Tree Document

My book just shipped, so I haven't read how they describe this. It's obviously a way to bring the Star Wars spec tree idea to Genesys. But how, if at all, do they suggest these trees be balanced? I know that any time someone in the Star Wars forums comes up with a custom spec tree, a half a dozen people jump all over them and scream, "This is a grab bag!" "This is unbalanced!" "Why would anyone NOT take this?" etc. 

Edited by SavageBob

So, the EPG offers the option of Star Wars-style specializations with "Talent Trees" in lieu of Genesys' "talent pyramid"? Color me interested. I don't think there's anything wrong with the pyramid, but trees are more visual, and it takes all the visual encouragement I can muster to get my players invested in new systems.

I've had a chance to look over it. Less nuts-and-bolts than I'd have liked; it's mostly advice on how to balance the tree. The book describes designing trees as an art rather than a science, and it suggests you'll need to playtest heavily. Looks like a lot of work, but I'm glad there's an option for it.

I like that there is now something "canon" level if GM's want to introduce trees back into Geneys. 

But, I had hoped they had gone a step further into offering something a bit more then just the standard SW option. There are some other possibilities. For example, I've been toying around with putting "Careers" in the talent trees after seeing some of the new Talents in Terrinoth (Templar, Bard, Hunter, etc). I've actually been using something quite different in a current campaign that uses my first attempt. When I saw the specs section, I was hoping for some new and more radical options.

And thanks for this!:

On 12/2/2019 at 9:28 PM, drainsmith said:

Edited by Sturn

7 hours ago, Morangias said:

Yeah, I don't see myself writing those up for every game, but I do have some conversion ideas that'd benefit significantly from this approach.

That's not a bad idea: Start with a Star Wars tree comparable to what you want to do and try to recreate it as best you can with Genesys talents. It'll still require some reworking, but it would at least give you a ballpark for "not overpowered."

7 hours ago, SavageBob said:

That's not a bad idea: Start with a Star Wars tree comparable to what you want to do and try to recreate it as best you can with Genesys talents. It'll still require some reworking, but it would at least give you a ballpark for "not overpowered."

That's certainly a good starting point. Though for some things I have in mind, I actually appreciate the option to make some trees more powerful than others.