Sign in to follow this  
Tarliyn

Why no way to dual/multi aspect

Why cant we build decks with mutiple aspects.  I can think of a number of ways to handle it within the framework of this game.

Would really blow the top off of deck building possiblities

While I think it is fine if they stick with the aspects being closed, both previous co-op LCGs have introduced means that enable crossing sphere/class restrictions in a limited manner.  Doesn't guarantee that it'll happen in champions, but does point toward the possibility.

However, like SpiderMana mentioned, a growing card pool will probably make this feel less necessary in the future.

7 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

It's your game. Do what you want. That's definitely one way to get your money's worth. 2 players, each deck uses 2 aspects each. Sounds cool to me. I like the game the way it is, but I may get "bored" by January. :P

This is also a good point. I’ve definitely considered trying some home-brewed game modes—my idea was for playing solo with two characters to have their turns simultaneously, shared hand of resources, separate decks/discard still.

I'm sure there's design space for certain characters to 'bend' the deck construction rules. But I'm not sure how necessary it is to explore, given that any hero can play any aspect. 

Regardless, I've no interest in it since to me it'd make deckbuilding more boring and 'solved' than more interesting. If you can play more than one aspect, you simply chose the best cards and don't have to make tough choices, or play smartly around the weaknesses of your chosen hero/aspect combo. And that in turn makes any multiplayer co-op gameplay less interesting too. 

37 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I'm sure there's design space for certain characters to 'bend' the deck construction rules. But I'm not sure how necessary it is to explore, given that any hero can play any aspect. 

Regardless, I've no interest in it since to me it'd make deckbuilding more boring and 'solved' than more interesting. If you can play more than one aspect, you simply chose the best cards and don't have to make tough choices, or play smartly around the weaknesses of your chosen hero/aspect combo. And that in turn makes any multiplayer co-op gameplay less interesting too. 

See I disagree.  If it was implemented well it would only add to the tough choices to make not take away.

The trick is implementing it in a way that avoids "good stuff" decks.  The desire is to not just stick all the good cards in one deck but to have interesting choices.

LOTR allows you to mix spheres (and hasnsince the beginning) and that just makes the deck building more complex and intertesting, it would be no different in this game.  Cant speak to AH, I know nothing about it.

I'd say if you're going to deck build this way it's best to come up with other restrictions to keep from totally unbalanced results. Perhaps declare your primary aspect and the other is limited to a 1 copy max per card title. 

Maybe you go with a Arkham Horror type of restriction: second aspect can only include cards cost 0 to 2. 

It would just take some trying out, just remember that the goal is to have fun!

11 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

This is also a good point. I’ve definitely considered trying some home-brewed game modes—my idea was for playing solo with two characters to have their turns simultaneously, shared hand of resources, separate decks/discard still.

I've been playtesting a two-villain mode inspired by the wrecking crew and it's been going really well (one active villain at a time, activate based on boosts and encounter cards, only active villain can be damaged, use both villain encounter sets and the standard/expert set, no modular set).

8 hours ago, Tarliyn said:

See I disagree.  If it was implemented well it would only add to the tough choices to make not take away.

The trick is implementing it in a way that avoids "good stuff" decks.  The desire is to not just stick all the good cards in one deck but to have interesting choices.

LOTR allows you to mix spheres (and hasnsince the beginning) and that just makes the deck building more complex and intertesting, it would be no different in this game.  Cant speak to AH, I know nothing about it.

They’ve done that already by splitting cards into various aspects, which are mutually exclusive to prevent all the “good cards” from being taken.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:40 AM, Tarliyn said:

Why cant we build decks with mutiple aspects.  I can think of a number of ways to handle it within the framework of this game.

Would really blow the top off of deck building possiblities

It's your game, go for it!